*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022263-20211123
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1022263 added November 24, 2021 at 6:25pm
Restrictions: None
20211123
"It is intolerable Aunt Morwenna. She has only been Queen a few weeks and already she is debasing herself and the country by flirting with foreigners."

"And one of those foreigners in the Proconsul, her erstwhile brother in law."

"Who is old enough to be her grandfather." Spat Pawl.

"He has asked William Cecil to present his suit to the Council."

Pawl swore.

"It means nothing, as Cecil well knows, or else, I suspect, he would have refused to do so."

"It's unthinkable."

"No Pawly, it is not. The marriage of the Queen to Proconsul Lucius would be politically expedient. Irrespective of their age difference and whether or not he loves her or she him, such a marriage would continue the peace that was wrought by Mary's marriage to the Proconsul."

"But you said that Cecil speaking to the Council means nothing."

"So I did, and so it doesn't. The Council cannot compel Boudica to marry anyone, nor can it forbid a marriage, however distasteful."

"Such as to that Ottoman scum."

"But," Morwenna continued, her tone conveying perfectly 'don't interrupt me again', "Boudica is young, and her decisions could be influenced by those who's opinions she trusts."

"Such as William Cecil."

"Such as he yes, or perhaps some other member of Council, someone who has the Queen's best interests at heart."

It took Pawl a few moments to realise that Morwenna was referring to herself.

"What would such a well-wisher suggest to the Queen?"

"Why that as Queen she has a duty to consider the needs of her country above her own personal wants and desires. Then I might draw her attention to the likelihood that the offspring of a union between the Houses of Tudor and Llewellyn would be extremely gifted."

"Even so, Boudica has no love for me."

"Oh tush. You made fun of her pet, and no little girl would stand for that. That's all forgotten now I'm sure."

"Not by the dwarf, and she has Boudica's ear."

"Then perhaps you should apologise to the Duchess of Shrewsbury."

Pawl was horrified.

"Apologise to her?"

"and to Boudica."

"But she was the one who insulted me."

"A small sacrifice to gain a greater prize wouldn't you say?"

Pawl had to admit that there was something to this argument. I will do as you ask Aunt."

"Dear me, don't do it because I ask Pawly. Do it because you want to control the crown through the person of the Queen."

Pawl gave a rare grin.

"Yes Aunt Morwenna."

"And do try to sound sincere, or you'll get nowhere."

"Yes Aunt Morwenna."


-------


"May I please have a word with you Bridget?"

Bridget was surprised, and suspicious, but they were in the Great Hall, and there were plenty of people around.

"What about?" She asked cautiously.

Pawl actually looked embarrassed.

"There has been ill feeling between us for several years, and I would like to change that if I can."

Bridget looked about to interrupt, but Pawl went on. He was conscious that they already had an audience. He was counting on this adding to the effectiveness of his apology.

"You do not need to say that the fault is all mine. It is and I acknowledge that. I would like to apologise. I am sorry for my behaviour, and for my unpardonable comments about you. I offer no defence of my crassness, but I hope that you might allow that I have had time enough to grow up a little, and see the error of my ways."

Bridget stared at him open mouthed.

"That. That's a very handsome apology Pawl, and I accept."

"Thank you Bridget. I shall endeavour to be properly civil in future."

Pawl bowed to Bridget and walked away.

I wonder what brought that on? She thought, noticing the whispered conversations that were spreading out around her.

She found herself wondering if Pawl had actually meant what he'd said, and felt slightly ungenerous for doing so.


_______



Boudica was discussing her astral journey with Edward Carrick.

"There are so many different elements to it. Fascinating, really fascinating." Said Edward. "Of course, the difficulty lies in unpicking it all. If indeed unpicking it is even appropriate. If you take apart a piece of lace, you end up with a crinkled thread, and nothing remains of the pattern of the lace."

"There were a lot of spirals. Both on this journey, and when I took the challenge."

Carrick made an old man sound, a sort of 'mmmp - mmmph.' Then continued,

"You saw many versions of yourself?"

"Yes, no. It wasn't me, it was the first Boudica."

"I was referring to earlier, when you saw yourself blurring Your Majesty."

"Oh sorry. I misunderstood. Yes I did."

"I shall have to think about this, but it seems to be about ascending, and encountering the same situations and problems over and over at different levels.

As for seeing your ancestor, that too in intriguing. I wonder if she was teaching you how to do what she did."

"To create a storm?"

"Yes Your Majesty."

"I shall see if I can do so when I have the chance."

"That leaves the big white house on an island somewhere, and the people living there." Carrick made his old man thinking sounds again. "The problem with such a vision is not having enough information. We don't know where it is. or was. Nor do we know who those people where, or why they were there."

"They must have some significance though?"

"Oh yes Your Majesty. Sadly we may not find out what that significance is until it is too late to do anything about it."

"I will try and go there again."

"Do be careful Your Majesty."

"Don't worry Edward, I shall be very careful."


-------


Bernardo Bruno sat in his study. A servant had just left, having brought in some wine, and he was alone. He'd given instructions that he was not to be disturbed. To be sure, he took a key from his desk, and walked over to lock the door.

He relaxed, the glass of wine untouched besides him. Sending his mind inwards, withdrawing his attention on the outside world, Bruno counted silently as he controlled his breath, slowing it down, deepening it as he relaxed. Then he stepped from his body.

No-one suspected that he had psychic abilities of his own. Carefully he stepped away from his physical body. He willed himself to the island of Ponzo, and was there. Bruno faced the Hermitage and strode forwards confidently. He stopped, his way blocked by some invisible force. Trying again, he became aware of a golden pentagram, upright in a circle of light.

With a heavy sigh Bruno realised that the Mithraides had learned some psychic defences. He wondered which of them was responsible. Catalina was the most likely candidate, she was very quick. Fortunately none of them had realised that he had abilities, but that could change, they were obviously making improvements. He'd have to be more careful.

Dismissing the scene, Bruno once more searched for the Mindwalk Pavilion. So far he had not found it. He wondered if the Mithraides would have any more success in a search.


-------

Boudica was walking in one of the gardens. This one had beehives, and if she rested her head against one of the straw skeps and listened carefully, she could hear the bees buzzing deep inside, waiting for the return of spring. She was puzzling over Pawl Llewellyn's seeming change of heart. Bridget had told her about his apology, which was very unexpected. Still, Boudica did not trust him, knowing as she did his role in Dafydd's crime.

She wondered how long it would be before one her suitors found her. It was getting tedious. Cecil warned her that Lucius would not wait long, as his duties in Iberia would require a lot of his attention. The Proconsul had not formally asked Boudica to marry him, but he had spoken to Cecil and Cecil then spoke to the Council. There could be no doubt as to his intentions.

Word Count: 1,348
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022263-20211123