*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022319-2021112501
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1022319 added November 25, 2021 at 4:34pm
Restrictions: None
2021112501
"Do you have any news of the Mithraides Bernardo? Have they made any progress?"

"As you know Giovanni, I have been relying on news from Niccolo. What he says sounds encouraging, but it would be hard for him to truly judge their progress in psychic ability."

"Naturally, but what does he report?"

"As I suspected, Iliaster has proved to be an effective leader. It was clear to Niccolo that all but Catalina look up to him."

"Catalina?"

"Catalina is sleeping with Iliaster, their relationship is more complex therefore than that of pupil and Master."

"I see. What else does Niccolo report?"

"He questioned Iliaster, and was told that they are making some progress with what he calls astral travel. That is when they send their spirit forms out into the world. It will be necessary for them to be able to do this for our plans to come to fruition."

"I see." Giovanni reflected upon this for a moment.

"Is there any risk that they could travel here?"

"It is possible, but unlikely. They surely could not trespass so close to the presence of Your Holiness, whom Mithras holds dear."

Bernardo knew this was untrue, but he could not explain that he employed his own powers to prevent any eavesdropping, either by Iliaster, or more dangerously by anyone from the Council of Albion."

"Iliaster did report one difficulty."

"What was that Bernardo?"

"He told Niccolo that so far they could only travel to places that they had seen, that they had physically visited. Since none of them has ever been to Albion, they are unable to go there astrally."

"Is this a difficulty that they are likely to overcome?"

Bernardo hesitated, he knew the answer, but could not reveal as such.

"It is not possible to know at this time what they may or may not be able to do Giovanni. All of this is new to us, and we are therefore exploring what is and isn't possible."

"We know that the Celts can use their powers at a great distance."

"That is true, but with respect Giovanni, what we don't know is whether those using their powers have previously been physically present in that distant location."

"So our plans may come to nothing. If they are unable to attack the Council on its own ground, then their usefulness is severely limited."

"We could deploy them to protect our forces. I believe that it is possible for one witch to defend itself from the actions of another."

"That is something i suppose. It is not what we are hoping for though."

"There is a possible solution, but it is risky." Bruno offered.

"Everything about this plan is risky. What is your idea?"

"Iliaster must visit the Court of Albion."

Archinto looked startled.

"I know that you said that there was risk, but surely he might decide to join his fellow witches and use what he knows of our plans against us."

"If he went as part of my retinue that risk would be much reduced."

Now Archinto was shocked.

"You are proposing to visit the Celts yourself?"

"A pretext could be found. We are not at war with them, and Proconsul Lucius is already there with his plan to marry the new Queen."

Bruno hoped that he could sell the idea, for he calculated that his own plans would be considerably advanced if he could visit the heart of the Celtic Court. He knew that Giovanni was generally a cautious man, though Bruno had persuaded him to create the Mithraides. He continued smoothly,

"Such a visit could also encourage Iliaster to greater loyalty, making him feel important, and that his opinion matters."

"Do you have any doubts as to his loyalty."

"He would be a stupid man if he did not harbour some fears that his powers might yet be the death of him. I feel however that he is ultimately self-serving. He can be relied upon to that which best reflects his interests. So long as we ensure that his interests are best served by being loyal to us, he will remain loyal."

Giovanni's face darkened at this.

"That does not sound like any sort of loyalty at all."

"We cannot expect any better from a witch. But there is also the other Mithraides to consider."

"I thought you told me that they are less effective than him."

"That was the case, though they have certainly improved under his tuition."

Bernardo thought of Catalina, and of the defences he had encountered.

"But Iliaster has taken on the role of father to them. He even calls one of them 'little one'. His loyalty to them can be exploited."

"Especially to the witch whore he is sleeping with." interjected Archinto.

"Exactly Giovanni. We would make sure that she would remain on Ponzo with the rest of them, as hostages to his good behaviour."

"You are certain this would suffice?"

"That and the threat of being killed himself. He would know that we had considered the risks involved in taking him to Albion."

"I will consider the idea Bernardo. See what pretext you can devise."

"Thank you Your Holiness."

"Speaking of Lucius, he does not seem to have succeeded with his advances. Apparently there is an Ottoman Prince there vying for the witch Queen's affections."

"My sources have sent that his brother was killed by his bodyguard lover."

"Their practices never cease to disgust me."

Bruno said nothing on this, knowing that Archinto was one of those who defined normal entirely according to their own likes and dislikes. Instead he said,

"Lucius must be very unhappy at Prince Bayezid's presence there, though I confess, I did not think it likely that she would be interested in marrying her step-sister's widower, notwithstanding the age difference."

"Lucius seemed to think she was seriously considering the idea."

Bernardo coughed.

"There may be a touch of wishful thinking on his part in that statement."

"Yes, very much so. Still it did no harm for him to try. Perhaps we can find another more suitable candidate as Suetonius suggested."

"It would do no harm to explore possibilities."

"Are we even sure that she likes men that way? I had heard that she was in love with a dwarf woman."

"They are childhood friends Giovanni, i am sure that they are nothing more than that."

Bruno had in fact had his spies make careful enquiries on that point, and was able to state Boudica's inclinations with some confidence.

"She has been showing the Ottoman some interest, which certainly implies she has normal female tastes."

Word Count: 1,096
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022319-2021112501