*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022425
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1022425 added November 27, 2021 at 4:57pm
Restrictions: None
20211126
The Proconsul was in a foul mood. Not only had his trip to Albion ended in failure, which was humiliating, but on his return to Madrid he learned that Drake had once again plundered ships from the Iberian treasure fleet. Within a week, he was heading once more to Rome to seek an audience with Pater Archinto.

He had enjoyed Boudica's company, and believed that she had not found him unpleasant. Having been informed by Cecil of her decision, Lucius had made every impression of polite acceptance, with the vague idea that he might try again in a few months time. She was a prize worth having certainly.

Cecil had assured him that it was not because Prince Bayezid had been chosen over him, and had broadly hinted that he had a similar conveyance to make to the Ottoman. Treacherous as the Celts were, Lucius had been inclined to believe Cecil.

The return of the Silesian ambassador had excited the Court at Chester, though none of the Council members were saying why. It was not possible for Lucius to find out directly. He did not the presence of the heretical Jan Jagiellow, and assumed that the Silesian priest was there to spread his lies.

All this he poured out for Archinto to absorb. After some thought, he asked,

"I assume that you have sent ships out to destroy this Drake?"

"I have Your Holiness, but my sailors say he uses witchcraft against them. They have said that he has a magic mirror that he uses to locate every ship on the sea."

"Did you discuss Drake with Queen Boudica?" Asked Bruno.

"I did not deem it appropriate under the circumstances, as I was trying to win the woman over to the idea of marrying me."

"Which you failed to do, exactly as I predicted." Interjected Suetonius.

"Yes, thank you Suetonius." said Lucius wearily, "Your prediction was so accurate perhaps I should accuse you of being a witch."

"How dare you!"

"Gentlemen stop it." Archinto's voice invited no argument.

"Perhaps I should travel to Albion and formal request that they bring Drake to heel."

Lucius was astounded.

"Would not such a visit be highly dangerous?"

"I don't see why it should be. We are not at war with the Celts."

"Yet."

"Thank you Suetonius. We are not at present at war with them, I would not go alone. They would be very unlikely to open hostilities by attacking my person. If it were His Holiness, then I might agree with you, but for myself the risk must be thought slight at best."

Archinto was rubbing his chin, he had concluded that this was the pretext Bruno had wanted.

"If you are comfortable going, then you must go Bernardo. I do not think that they will listen to you though."

"Perhaps not Your Holiness, but they will know that if they continue to allow Drake to harrass our ships, then we will take action."

"Take action? We have discussed this before Heliodromus, the stalemate we are in with the heretics precludes us committing our forces to a war with Albion, we would be impossibly stretched, and vulnerable to attacks from Silesia."

"We have indeed discussed this Proconsul Lucius, but things change."

"I am not aware that anything has changed."

Bruno held the Proconsul's gaze long enough to make him uncomfortable.

Archinto said,

"We will have a letter sent to the Celts, advising them of your intention to speak with the witch queen Bernardo. You must select those that will accompany you."

"Would my presence be helpful?" Lucius enquired.

"With respect Proconsul, I think not. You are too directly involved. I shall put our very reasonable request across, and make sure that they understand it is a demand."

"Then that is settled." Archinto concluded, then said,

"We must find out what it is that the Silesian heretics are plotting. All of you enquire of your contacts in Chester and in Wrocław."

"I shall see what if anything I can find whilst in Albion myself."

"Thank you Bernardo."


-------



Iliaster was surprised, and disturbed to see Bernardo Bruno entering the Hermitage.

"Master Bruno, be welcome here. I had not expected you."

"Do not be alarmed Iliaster. I heard from Niccolo that you needed to visit the Celtic Court, in order to be able to travel there astrally."

"Yes Master. That is, I said that we did not seem to be able to travel where we had not visited physically."

"And since I require you to reach Albion, then I concluded that you needed to go to Chester. I have arranged that I shall be visiting there in due course. You will accompany me."

Iliaster was shocked, for he had not dreamed that he would be allowed to travel to Albion. Evidentially Bruno very badly wanted his plans to succeed.

"May Catalina come with me?"

"I'm sorry but no, but we will not be away long. I am to deliver a message to Queen Boudica, you will be coming along as a secretary. I would expect that you will meet all those who are most important in Albion.

A word of caution though Iliaster. Since the Celts on their Council, and even the Queen herself are psychically gifted, I think you should be very wary of using your own powers, in case someone sensitive to such things picks up on you."

"I understand Master Bruno, I shall be very careful not to reveal myself to them."

"Very good. Now, we will be starting almost immediately. I have a boat waiting in the harbour. We will get you some better clothing on the way. You cannot appear in any Court looking like that."

"What about the others?"

"They can surely manage without you for a few weeks?"

"Yes, yes, of course. I should speak to them before we leave though Master Bruno."

"By all means, I do not mean that we have to leave this instant."


Word Count: 990
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022425