*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022523-20211129
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2261226
November Writing Challenge Novel
#1022523 added November 29, 2021 at 5:55pm
Restrictions: None
20211129
Plot hole fixed? - No thefts under Mary, But prior to that there were, i.e. under Great Harry, and Edward's reigns. During Mary's reign Drake made himself scarce, and circumnavigated the world. (Would this pre-date Magellan?)

Why did they resume under Boudica? She knows and trusts him, but why would she condone theft? Same reason as Elizabeth I? Personal gain? - Seems unlikely - Iberian forces excluding Albion from a share of the riches of the Americas.

-------


In Barcelona, Bruno bought better clothes for Iliaster, more in keeping with his role of a clerk attending the Heliodromus. They visited a Mithraeum and participated in the mysteries there.

"I believe that I must place my trust you Iliaster." Bruno said, as they sat together in the bright sunlight

"Thank you Master Bruno."

"I have the same reason for wishing to see the Celtic Court that you do."

"You wish to travel there astrally at some point Master Bruno?"

Bernardo Bruno stared at the man besides him.

"How long have you known?"

"Since the day you came to collect me."

Bruno was impressed in spite of himself.

"I did not use my powers that day."

"With respect Master Bruno you did. You heard what I said to my fellow Mithraides. You could not have done so without power."

"That is true, I was startled, you must have seen my reaction. I am impressed."

Iliaster did not correct Bruno as to who had actually seen his slight reaction.

"So am I Master Bruno, because you have lived long enough to rise to such an exalted position. I have survived, but little else."

"You do yourself a disservice. You are of the Leo Grade, you are building the Mithraides into a useful force. You and I are living proof that psychics can make effective leaders even in a world where to be a 'witch' is to invite a painful death."

Iliaster forbore to say that he was basically at Bruno's mercy, as the Heliodrome could have him killed with a word.

"So you have had time to think about the matter Iliaster. What do you think?"

"I do not see that it has changed much for me to know Master Bruno."

"No? I have alluded to my plans, and with your additional knowledge you must have worked out that I propose to rule with the help of the Mithraides."

"It is an ambitious plan Master Bruno."

"Think of it Iliaster. Imagine being free to use your psychic abilities without fear."

Bruno had the feeling he was not reaching Iliaster.

"What is it you want Iliaster? What do you want more than anything else?"

Iliaster didn't answer, but he was obviously considering the question. Eventually, and reluctantly he replied.

"I don't really want anything Master Bruno, I just try to deal with each day as it happens. Some are better than others it is true, but I don't feel that wanting anything would make them better."

"You don't see the advantages to power?"

"Even the powerful die Master Bruno."

"They do, but often they live longer and better than those without. Have you not enjoyed developing your psychic powers?"

"I have very much enjoyed that Master Bruno."

"Would you like to continue?"

"Yes I would."

"But you do not want to?"

"I shall enjoy it if I am allowed to continue, but there are other things I might enjoy, and there are situations that may require me to set that aside to deal with them."

Bruno was slightly nonplussed.

You can hear me like this?

Yes Master Bruno, I can.

Are you making any headway with astral travel?

We are trying all the experiments we can think of. Four of us can now travel fairly easily. I think the others will catch us up.

You have found that you can only travel to places you have seen?

No Master Iliaster, at least, we believe that we may have travelled to Egypt.

Now Bruno was very interested.

Why Egypt? Tell me about this please.

Iliaster described how they had tried Egypt because they had heard of the pyramids, but none of the group had ever really seen them. He went on to relate their visit, including the sense of weight and danger, and that they had fled. Some caution made him omit to tell Bruno about the Sphinx.

Have you considered the possibility that the pyramids you saw were wholly a part of the astral realm, and that you might not have gone to the real Egypt?

I had not Master Bruno, that could have been the case though. We didn't see anyone else there. I imagine that there would usually be some people about there.

It would explain things. I have not found it possible to astral visit anywhere that I have not personally first been to in physical form. Which is why I engineered a visit to Albion.

Iliaster did not mention that Catalina and Hélène had both visited him that day. He felt no guilt in his omission, Bruno was openly trying to use him.

Perhaps we should both visit the pyramids.

The suggestion caught Iliaster off guard.



Word count: 856
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022523-20211129