*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023094
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by C. Don
Rated: 18+ · Book · Scientific · #2262478
Just stuff I thought of while getting a little exercise.
#1023094 added December 11, 2021 at 10:12pm
Restrictions: None
Are neurons similar to DRAMS?
From electronics notes:
         What is DRAM technology? https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/electronic_components/semiconductor-i...
         As the name DRAM, or dynamic random access memory, implies, this form of memory technology is a type of random access memory. It stores each bit of data on a small capacitor within the memory cell. The capacitor can be either charged or discharged and this provides the two states, "1" or "0" for the cell.
         Since the charge within the capacitor leaks, it is necessary to refresh each memory cell periodically. This refresh requirement gives rise to the term dynamic - static memories do not have a need to be refreshed.
         The advantage of a DRAM is the simplicity of the cell - it only requires a single transistor compared to around six in a typical static RAM, SRAM memory cell. In view of its simplicity, the costs of DRAM are much lower than those for SRAM, and they are able to provide much higher levels of memory density. However the DRAM has disadvantages as well, and as a result, most computers use both DRAM technology and SRAM, but in different areas.
         In view of the fact that power is required for the DRAM to maintain its data, it is what is termed a volatile memory. Memory technologies such as Flash are non-volatile and retain data even when the power is removed.


         Think of this from the human's "Great Programmer" point of view.
         The prefrontal cortex is busy running the human body, recording events, matching them with recent events, and directing the body to respond with life preservation and procreation actions.
         It is important to use experiences encountered at random to anticipate subsequent events. So the prefrontal cortex records the scenes as they occur. But the prefrontal cortex can be overwhelmed by the continuous stream of events of the day. So, during a lull of events (sleep) it shuttles pertinent day events into the long-term memories of the Neocortex and Amygdala. Those archived events are sorted into usable recalls that the prefrontal cortex can access for immediate responses. They are also used to prepare for a longer term agenda (qualia).
         But, the continuous stream of updates alter both the short term responses and the long term planning archive. Those memories may be looked at as DRAM and SRAM.

         Brain cells don't deal with leaky capacitors. But they need to be refreshed.
         Individual neurons participate in many circuits. Each cell may have thousands of connections. The potentials of those connections don't leak away, but when the neurons are associated with new tasks, those connection/trigger potentials are altered to handle the new work. Do those potentials lose their sensitivity to their original tasks?
         Refreshing the original qualia would strengthen those potentials.
         That is why memories that are recalled more often are more vivid. Unfortunately, they are also subtilty altered from recent events.
C.Don

© Copyright 2021 C. Don (UN: huntemann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Don has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023094