*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023290-Basic-Training
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1023290 added December 16, 2021 at 9:24pm
Restrictions: None
Basic Training


I am in San Diego for my grandson's graduation from basic training for the Marine Corps. You know, I just love the pomp and circumstance, the military precision, the respect for our country's flag, the bright young faces full of promise. He is now a PFC, Private First Class. Not many in his platoon made that honor. That I congratulated him for. Now after he graduates tomorrow, he is going home for a few weeks leave, then back to San Diego for more training before he gets a for-real assignment.

Now getting here was quite an adventure. My eldest grandson rented a mini-van, there were six of us. We started out from Richmond, CA at about 11 AM. We got here in San Diego about 10 PM. Gracious sakes, I thought we were never going to arrive. It seemed to be a big drama to everyone about how to get here, when to stop, when to eat (that was pretty much non-stop) and where the building was when we got here. I was exhausted after 2 sleepless nights on a train. Then when we got into the rooms, adjoining, they were freezing cold. Seems the heat isn't turned on yet in this old building. Not enough beds, two are sleeping in recliners, one is on the floor, one in a bed, plus my daughter and I sharing another bed. The bed had one measly little thread-bare blanket. But fatigue gave way and I slept . Cold night, but I slept.

Today was 'family day'. The recruits got liberty for part of the day. My grandson got to eat real food for the first time in 13 weeks. He got his cell phone back. He tried to regale all with his tales, to be talked over. I hated that. They laughed when he saluted the flag for the 5 PM salute. I hated that. But I say nothing, since I am not in charge of this family. I hate the lack of respect.

So I think this comes back to basic training in respect you should learn as a child. Your lessons are learned by the parent's teaching. My granddaughter asked why the women with some of the recruits walked with their arm in the recruit's arm. I tried to explain about chivalry, respect, letting the man take the lead and respecting his strength. Hmm. She'd never seen that before.

I saw all types of people. This base is a historical landmark. They've been doing Marine training here since 1923. Beautiful place.

But the heat is still not on. I am still cold. It gets cold here at night on the ocean. But I snagged a few extra blankets from housekeeping. Maybe tonight I'll sleep warm. I know my heart is warm seeing my grandson today.
 ~

© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023290-Basic-Training