*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023325-Chapter-5
Rated: ASR · Book · Mystery · #2262970
3 Hours in the city. 2 sisters. 1 chance. 0 room for secrets...right? A dystopian story.
#1023325 added December 17, 2021 at 8:03pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 5

It’s not long before I hear a knock on the door. When I open it, Lucia is looking at me.

“I’m sorry...I shouldn’t have said all that.” I say immediately, letting her in.

"You're right, you shouldn't have." She sits on the bed. "But you obviously didn't mean it."

“I didn’t, you’re right.” I sigh, sitting next to her.

“I just wish you would listen to yourself, Rory. You’re a smart girl, you don’t need someone telling you what to do.”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

She lays back, staring at my ceiling.

“I’m going to leave tonight. I want to see the city again. Will you come with me?”

I stare. She’s gone out once before, and she got caught. She wasn’t able to do so much as leave her room for the next 5 or so months, and she had to swear up and down that she’d never do it again.

“Father said-”

“I know what he said. I’m not asking you to try and stop me, I’m asking you to come with me. I’d like to show you something.”

“Is Eudora coming?”

“No, no way. She’s way too young. You’re old enough, I think.”

I retreat into my head, thinking hard. Is it worth it? Is killing my curiosity going to get me killed as well? Is the risk worth the reward?

I nod slowly, watching the smile creep up Lucia’s face. It’s genuine, not the smile she saves for Father.

“Perfect. Be ready to go at 11. Wear dark clothes. Pants and sturdy shoes.”

She turns and leaves before I can say anything else. I glance back at the bed, expecting to see wrinkled covers and nothing more, but a book lies there. Lucia must have left it, but she’d never forget something that she meant to keep up with. She left it on purpose.

The title reads “Government and Civics for the Uneducated Person”. I set it aside, moving to the closet.

“What do you require, Miss Aurora?”

“Black pants, dark grey shirt...long sleeves, and black boots. Nothing flowy.”

“As you require.” The closet makes my clothes and shoes quickly, and I slip into them, making sure they fit.

“Does everything fit alright?” It asks once I’ve changed back into my normal clothes.

“Yes, thank you.” The closet falls silent.
© Copyright 2021 LorenIsOneOfMyNames (UN: ls144780 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LorenIsOneOfMyNames has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023325-Chapter-5