*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023536-On-Happiness
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1023536 added December 22, 2021 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
On Happiness
I don't have a whole lot to add to today's link. It's something that tracks with things I've been saying for a while, though, so here it is.

Why it's time to stop pursuing happiness  
Positive thinking and visualising success can be counterproductive – happily, other strategies for fulfilment are available


Essentially, in my view anyway, one doesn't find "happiness" by demanding happiness; it is, rather, the result of doing things that are fulfilling. These things are different for everyone.

Over the past 10 years, numerous studies have shown that our obsession with happiness and high personal confidence may be making us less content with our lives, and less effective at reaching our actual goals. Indeed, we may often be happier when we stop focusing on happiness altogether.

Ever had trouble finding the right words to express something? Pretty sure we all have. Or remembering the name of that actress from that movie, you know, the one with the... whatever. Then you go think about something else and the answer just eventually bubbles up unbidden. I think of this as kind of like that.

Again, though, not much to add for me here. The article does take a dig at Norman Vincent Peale, who I'm pretty sure I've ragged on in here before. And it doesn't come out and say it, but it also negates a lot of new-age type crap like The Secret.

So if you're interested in this sort of thing, give it a look. It is, as is often the case here, a sort of ad for a book, but the article has good information anyway.

Or not. You know. Whatever makes you happy.

© Copyright 2021 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1023536-On-Happiness