*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024042-2022---January-Two
Rated: 13+ · Book · Comedy · #2249293
The Banana Blog
#1024042 added January 2, 2022 at 1:56pm
Restrictions: None
2022 - January Two



PROMPT January 2, 2022
READ IT IN THE SUNDAY PAPERS

We used to read the newspaper in the old days, then discuss our feelings about the various news stories. We called it conversation.
Write a blog entry about a current news story in your area. Tell us your opinion on the topic and invite your readers to engage in a conversation in the comments.


There is a local paper, we get it once a week, on Wednesday. It's is a pitiful little thing, only about four pages. But it's still an actual paper. There is another publication in town, more of a newsletter, copied on copy paper and circulated by an individual. People in town seem to love it, I don't. There is the Billings Gazette you can get delivered. It is horrid expensive, so we don't get that. We also get a mail-order paper my husband subscribes to. The Epoch Times. Pretty political, but it has the funnies and some good living sections. It also comes once a week.

When I was growing up, my father went uptown every Sunday morning to get the Youngstown Vindicator. Why? There was the Sunday Star-Beacon from Ashtabula, a closer city. But he seemed to want to get that other paper. (I just did a check online, it's still published.) I seem to remember some part of that paper being printed in some kind of orange ink. Weird.

A local news story? Hmm. Not much. Most news is circulated on Facebook. The Sheriff report if anything unusual pops up occasionally. The DES, emergency services, will pop up if anything is emergency-related. The schools will get word out if anything weird happens there.

I like the local newspaper for letters to the editor. One lady in town writes some pretty curious letters, at least one in every weekly edition. A few years back she wanted the city to fix her basement. It was flooding. But she lives in the floodplain, so... Not sure what ever happened with that. She will rant and rave about Trump, about Biden, about the Corona virus, about whatever.

I also like to read the arrest reports and 911 calls. Some of them are quite curious.

So to answer the question about a current news story, probably the drought, the snow, the cold. Typical ranching and farming conversations in SE Montana.




new signature 2021



Signature for use by anyone nominated for a Quill Award in 2020

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2022 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024042-2022---January-Two