*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024526-The-Strippers-JFK-and-Stalin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1024526 added January 12, 2022 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
The Strippers, JFK and Stalin
Today's attempt at a "JAFBG [XGC] prompt...

What is a big debate in a small subculture that you're part of which the average person wouldn't know about? (ex. a debate in your field of study, in a specific hobby, in your profession, in your community)


Well, I suppose I could take sides over who would win in a fight, Superman or the Hulk.

Or maybe go the Trek route and enter into the great debate over who is the best captain, Kirk or Picard. (Trick question. It's Sisko.)

But how about the small subculture that most of us here share, and the great debate that will almost certainly never be settled to anyone's satisfaction?

I'm referring, of course, to the Oxford comma.

Here are some shining examples, courtesy of Thesaurus.com, of why the Oxford comma is a necessity:

"Rachael Ray finds inspiration in cooking her family and her dog"

Too bad she can only do that once.

"World leaders at Mandela tribute, Obama-Castro handshake and same-sex marriage date set... "

In fairness, that one could have gone either way.

" ... an overworked employee at the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children."

It seems this is from fanfiction, not original Rowling, but even fanfic writers should know better than to be this ambiguous.

"We went caroling with our dogs, grandma and grandpa."

Strange names for dogs, but you do you.

" ... Merle Haggard's two ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall."

Okay, well, if it worked for them, fine.

" ... Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector."

And I'm going to stop right there, because if that phrase is not enough to convince you that the Oxford comma is an absolute requirement, nothing will be.

© Copyright 2022 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024526-The-Strippers-JFK-and-Stalin