*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024847-Toxic
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1024847 added January 18, 2022 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
Toxic
A puzzling prompt from "JAFBG [XGC]

No one is perfect. What's your most toxic personality trait? What's your best personality trait that offsets that?


My sense of humor.

And my sense of humor.

I guess, anyway. Confession: I am utterly incompetent at analyzing myself. I'd have to ask a friend. But, being a friend, they probably wouldn't tell me the bare truth. Or, if they did, I wouldn't believe them, because of course I don't want to think I have any toxic personality traits.

It's likely that I do, though, or else I might have more friends. I just have no idea what those traits might be.

But being unable to analyze myself is not necessarily, in itself, either a toxic or a positive personality trait. On the plus side, it means I don't have to do a lot of work to accept myself. On the minus side, I'm sure there are things about myself that I should work on, but I don't know what they are.

The reason my mind went straight to "sense of humor," though, is that there's one thing I'm pretty sure of about myself: I sometimes make inappropriate jokes.

I don't think that manifests online very often, because there's a big difference between saying something in the spur of the moment, and having to think about it long enough to type it and then press enter or whatever. But many's the time I've started to make a joke here or somewhere else on the internet, and stopped myself because I decided it could be too hurtful. I'm sure there were times I didn't stop myself, though.

At the same time, however, humor can defuse tension, so I don't think it's a bad thing in general that I make jokes. Just that my mouth is sometimes faster than my brain.

Comedy is like drinking: It can get you into, and out of, some awkward situations.

So, at the risk of finding out something I don't want to find out, you tell me what the actual answer is to the prompt. I'd make it a mini-contest, but I don't want to know that badly.

© Copyright 2022 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1024847-Toxic