*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1025333-Naomis-Bitterness
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #2243707
Welcome to my blog: I intend to share heartfelt writing about anything that comes to mind.
#1025333 added January 25, 2022 at 12:56am
Restrictions: None
Naomi's Bitterness
picture for forum


prompt
In Ruth chapter one, Naomi tells her daughters-in-law to go back to their country and gods. What do you think this tells us about the condition of her heart towards God?

I think this is an interesting thought to ponder. You can see in the different answers that we have all given the various opinions. Reading the chapter in my study Bible, it says that Naomi was returning to God by returning to her own country. A few thoughts crossed my mind on this. Was she maybe testing the hearts of her daughters in law? Could it be that God was testing them? We know for a fact that Naomi was bitter. She said so herself later in the book of Ruth. Could she have said these things out of the bitterness in her heart? Was some of her bitterness directed toward God? I think maybe it was. She must have been very heavily grieved at this point. She felt utterly hopeless. She was at rock bottom I think maybe. She was depressed.

I think there may be several things at play here. We all get all caught up in our feelings at times. I think she was speaking out of the bitterness that was in her own soul. She felt she had nothing left to offer. In her bitterness, she felt God had forsaken her because of her sin. I think it is possible she honestly felt they might be better off with their own people and their gods. However, I think we can see how she is honestly grieved about her sin. She acknowledges and accepts the consequences. She is broken and has nothing left to offer.

BUT GOD, had other plans. Praise his name! Because she and Ruth turned their hearts to seek the living God, God raised them up! Ruth just happens to start gleaning in Boaz's barley field. He takes notice of her. He protects her. He has his servants drop some barley on purpose for her. He just happens to be near kinsman to Naomi's deceased husband. God made everything fall perfectly into place for them. In the end Naomi has a grandson and someone to pass the inheritance on to and Ruth becomes great grandmother to King David.

Wow! What a story and picture of God's amazing grace!



a signature image created for Marvelous Friend

© Copyright 2022 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1025333-Naomis-Bitterness