*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026742-Time-Hopping-and-the-Cool-Enthisiast
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#1026742 added February 15, 2022 at 8:50am
Restrictions: None
Time-Hopping and the Cool Enthisiast
"Blog City ~ Every Blogger's Paradise"
Day 2493--February 15, 2022
Prompt:
Charles Darwin said: “A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.”
Then, someone else said, “You won’t have this Tuesday again. Make it count.”
What do you say?


I don't think I was completely and fully conscious of the passing of time until I had my daughter. These days, I seem to measure time in her development, in the passing of her milestones and in the rate at which she is growing into a woman before my eyes. Facebook, (are we still calling it that?) has this neat feature called timehop where from time to time, your old videos and images from the past will appear again in your feed. Now, after a yelling match with my soon to be teenager that morning, I can be treated to a old video of her heading off to her first day of preschool. The rolling eyes and shrugging shoulders are transposed by the sweet visage of my once upon a time toddler smiling up at me, those tiny hands wrapped around the straps of her stuffed turtle backpack. That memory feed is like tapping into the days we can never get back, the moments that fade like smoke as time rolls forward.

Am I making all the Tuesdays count? Not likely. Isn't it human to not realize the value of what we have until its gone? Am I treasuring every moment, even the difficult ones? It is hard to remember to do that some days...some days I feel lucky just to get through a day without an argument or conflict. I used to want to slow time, to capture the moments so I could savor them, I could turn them around and around in my mind and feel everything for just a little while longer. Time moves faster when we are watching someone else. It feels that much more precious of a commodity in our lives.


"Blogging Circle of Friends "
Day 3386: February 15, 2022
Prompt: "The world belongs to the enthusiast who keeps cool."
William McFee
What do you think?


I am not altogether sure what a "cool enthusiast" would look like it today's world. I just have the intrinsic knowledge that I am not one. I run hot about most things to begin with. I try, and fail, to be casual about a lot of things. I know people who seem to coast through life, maintaining a balanced existence that certainly makes it seem like they have the world at their fingertips. I am not one of those people. I am too type A, too uptight, to overly-concerned with things.

I actually googled William McFee. If its the same writer, he is Canadian and favors stories about the sea. It does seem to make an odd bit of sense because those people I mentioned knowing...they happen to be boaters. I have to wonder if there is a connection to those that spend time on the sea and those who approach life with a measured patience? Something to ponder on...

© Copyright 2022 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1026742-Time-Hopping-and-the-Cool-Enthisiast