*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027319-I-cant-tell-you-why-by-the-Vitamin-String-Quartet-cover
Rated: 13+ · Book · Music · #2266568
28 songs for the month of February. The soundtrack of my life in 2022.
#1027319 added February 24, 2022 at 8:30am
Restrictions: None
"I can't tell you why" by the Vitamin String Quartet (cover)
For entry 20, a musical interlude.

Cover of the Eagles’ "I can't tell you why" by the Vitamin String Quartet



Original Lyrics

Another one of my favorite Eagles songs, but with a twist. The Vitamin String Quartet   does string covers of popular songs and they do them very well. They are also quite prolific, so chances are pretty good that they have covered your favorite song on the radio. However, I will say that not every song they chose to cover translates well to strings... especially songs that are musically simple (even if they're lyrically complex or meaningful). Which, let's face it, describes a lot of popular music. But, there are some songs that are much improved when composed as a string quartet. This one makes me feel all the feelings at once. The Eagles' slow, wistful, almost mournful melody and harmonies work really well on the strings.

I included the lyrics of the original song above to give some context, but I almost prefer it without the lyrics. The meaning is left up to the imagination and the sound alone, so the mind can wander to fill in the holes and create your own narrative. Because strings are so similar to voice in tone, they can still get the feeling of the lyrics across without the words. In some cases, even better than words can. Words can be limiting. This is one of those songs that takes you on a journey and then spits you back out at the end. And I think everyone's journey will be different.

Maybe I have a soft spot because I used to play the violin back in middle school. I have since forgotten everything I ever learned and probably couldn't even play "Hot Crossed Buns" on the violin anymore. But sometimes, when I hear things like this, I wish I'd kept up with it longer.

For those who have somehow never heard it, here's the original song  , which is just as good but in a different way.


Anni


© Copyright 2022 Anni Pon (UN: annipon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Anni Pon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1027319-I-cant-tell-you-why-by-the-Vitamin-String-Quartet-cover