*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031298
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2241087
Were creatures are being attacked and it is up to Sam Murry to find out who and why.
#1031298 added April 24, 2022 at 8:58pm
Restrictions: None
Devastation
From the location of the moon Sam thought it was about two in the morning, she was once more laying in the tree thinking back to earlier in the day and how she had defied a direct order from her Uncle and pack master... just how mad was Thomas and did he suffered humiliation because of her defiance? The wedding should have taken place that evening, and as tradition, they would have spent their first night together in their true forms.
Thinking back on it she may have handled it completely wrong, running out like a spoiled child. She needed to learn to face things, stop hiding away; she wasn’t that little girl anymore. If she wanted to be able to prove she could be a lone-puma, she needed to face things. As late as it was, most would be returning home, but Sam laid her head back on her paws to enjoy the calm before the storm. She had to face the pack, but that would wait.
Suddenly there was a piercing scream; there was no mistaking a puma cry. Launching from the tree and running full speed to get back to her home. There were more cries mixed with human screams of pain. Breaking through the trees darting around the empty house of Marcus Murry, the cries had turned from fear to anguish. Worse there were far few voices. Sam turned the corner she saw what the cries were for.
There were bloodied bodies in the road, on porches, doors hung open on several homes. Numbly Sam took in the carnage that was her home. Her family members, many of them hurt or dead. Looking around not seeing Thomas, she slowly walked around sniffing the air and finding all the scents of her loved ones. Her heartbreaking when she saw little Terry, only five years old, laying dead, no spiders running from his hands now or ever again. Sam made her way to her own house, in her heart she knew Thomas must be dead, he would never have allowed this to happen without his own life being sacrificed. Still, shock jolted her when she saw him, face down in the dirt. Letting out a cry of her own Sam transformed back to human form and sat naked beside her uncle as tears slid down her face…. Sam sat with one hand in her lap as she stroked her uncle’s back, with the only thought of, “What have I done?” After a while, Sam stood to go into the house when HE appeared….
Arriving at the crossroads on which Heartsville was built; standing unnoticed was a man. The stranger slowly looking around as he took in the gruesome scene. Bodies lay everywhere, most ripped into so many pieces that whoever they were, there was no telling now ‘A lot of close casket funerals coming up’ he thought to himself. Over near the Murry’s house, one shifter stirred. From what he could tell very few of the living had remained in the area, why this one stayed was beyond him. Still, he blurred over to where she sat sobbing.
“You,” the man’s voice was as uncaring as his eyes “tell me what happened here. Who did this to your people?”
Sam hadn’t noticed the man, but her hearing was as sharp as ever. When he appeared with a faint pop she had heard it like a gunshot. Only one creature could do that, he was a vampire. The creature was imposing, Sam looked up at the man, there was nothing kind about his face, his eyes were bright blue but cold as ice. From her position on the ground he looked to be six and a half feet tall . Sam could also tell that he was very muscular, even with the loose-fitting shirt the muscles were pronounced. He had waist-length straight black hair tied back at the nape of his neck.
Hearing the vampire address her as if she were lower than him did little for her mood. In the last hour, Sam had an overwhelming need to lash out. This creature gave her the excuse she needed. Sam abruptly stood up, turned to face the so-called man, “What the f*** do you want? You and your kind don’t care about us, and the feeling is mutual. I have no clue what happened; I…” trailing off and lowering her head, “wasn’t here,” Sam admitted.
Tears falling again and not willing to show any vampire weakness Sam strolled to stand before him, still completely nude, “What do you want? You trying to gloat, maybe to feed, or maybe you think there is a chance for your kind to take over? Ha! I don’t think so!” Looking back at the body of her fallen uncle, “Someone will control our pack as the leader, so don’t you worry your pretty little head about informing your superiors, got that?” Sam snapped.
Sam could not figure out what a vampire was doing here. Part of her thought that they may be involved in the attack, but that made no sense. Had the vampires done it, it would have been cleaner. The vampire was now looking at her with a smirk like he thought she had said something funny. God, she hated them. This guy was looking at her, and Sam got the impression he was sizing her up. Good luck with that, Sam thought. Everyone always underestimated her. Sam started to turn but the vampire cleared his throat.
“I am Leon Marsond, and if that is not enough to clue you in, I am the Marshall of this area,” Leon stated.
In truth, this surprised Sam, why would the Marshal be here? It still made no difference to her, the vampires controlled nothing within Heartsville.
Wanting to put some distance between them, Sam took the lead for her pack, “Marshall or not, makes no difference to me, I need to call the werewolves pack leader; if you need too you may wait and speak to him when he arrives… I am going to get some clothes, so if you will excuse me,” Sam flipped off Leon before turning to go.
The moment she turned Sam jumped, she had not heard anyone walk up, but now she was face to face with Mary Beth, Terry’s mother. Suddenly Sam was seeing stars after a jaw jarring slap across the face. Stunned Sam looked at Mary Beth, the woman that Sam had always considered to be mild-mannered was now glaring at her with more hate than Sam thought possible to convey in a mere look.
“This is all your fault!!” Mary Beth screamed, “You killed my boy!! Thomas was so distracted by you being a CHILD that he didn’t know what was going on till it was too late. I hope you can live with the fact you cause our packs total destruction,” Mary Beth spat.
Sam stood stunned, not that Mary Beth was angry, of course, she was, but to slap Sam was just so out of character. Sam knew everyone would think the same thing, after all, it was what was already in Sam’s head. How could everyone not blame her, she was a coward and ran. That is all they would see, that is all they would care about.
Swallowing back tears and clearing her throat, “I am so sorry for your loss, as well as my own, but for us to turn on each other is not the answer. Uncle Thomas would want us to band together and recover what can be.” Looking over at the small body of Terry, “We need to get our family members ready for burial. I am calling Chief Morehouse and he will help with everything.” Looking over her shoulder at the vampire, “I’ll be back when I can…”
If there was one thing about Weres that Leon hated more than all their faults combined, it was their arrogance. Why they believed that just because they were part animal it made them something special, he’d never know. In truth, they were little more than supernatural misfits, just hybrids.
“You’re not calling anyone,” Leon announced, just as he blurred and took Sam by the shoulder. His grip was tight, so much so that a little squeeze could snap the bone “I need to know what happened here” he said calmly and softly, pulling Sam away from the door and forcibly sitting her down nearer the older woman. That one he too glared at “I don’t care what happens to your pack.” Sam flinched in pain but listened to every word he spoke, Thomas had not raised an idiot.
“What I care about are the ones who killed them…I believe they are the same ones that have been murdering supernaturals all across the country. Your leader came to myself and our King a week ago, so did Chief Morehouse. They wanted to know if we had any information on the killings…now this happens…” Leon paused
Sam could tell he was debating something but she really didn’t care what it was. What she did care about was why he thought himself so important that he was now in control. Killings around the country wasn’t her problem, Heartsville was, but what if Uncle Thomas had gone to them for help or information? He had left last week, he was only gone a day, would that have been long enough for this meeting? No, Sam realized, that wasn’t the issue at hand. What needed to happen now was recovery, protection, but mostly, anyone else to take control so Sam could just hide in her shame and grief.
“Who are you? The idea that my uncle came to see you, or your king only means that they probably thought your kind had something to do with it…. Did it?” Sam asked not believing it herself, but this vampire was too arrogant.
Leon cocked an eyebrow, “Kittens should know their place, as I already told you, I am Leon, the Marshal of this territory.” Leon lifted his head to look around, “Where is your mate, I will speak with him.”
At that, Sam tried to jerk free, with the vampire’s grip it was not going to happen, but she was able to stand, going up two stairs to try to be closer to eye level. Leon’s bright blue, cold as ice eyes narrowed.
“I have no mate, so you deal with me or leave, I prefer the latter,” Sam said as forcefully as she could.
Leon chuckled, causing Sam’s hackles to raise, she glared at him, “What about this is funny to you dead man?” she snapped.
It was Leon’s turn to glare, “It is no wonder you do not have a mate when you are so insolent to someone that is, by far, your superior. I would rather be doing many other things, actually anything, other than dealing with your kind. But when this has happened in my territory by cowards…” Leon leaned down to whisper in her ear, “and allowed to happen by another coward; if I am to believe the one that just bitch slapped you.” He straightened back up, “I have to investigate.”
Once he had finished speaking Sam realized that his grip had loosened and she jerked away from him, “Don’t touch me again you reanimated corpse! I have enough to do without listening to your trivial problems.”
Standing on the top step to allow herself to look down at him, “Do not mistake my grieving for weakness, I have never bowed to your kind, nor will I. You have your problems, we have ours.”
Looking at Mary Beth and swallowing the true fear she was feeling, “Go get Terry out of the street, and please find the rest of the pack that has survived.”
Glaring at the vampire, “as I said before, I will be calling Chief Morehouse. By the way, thanks for the condolences asshole.”
Sam walked through her front door and closed it, she leaned against it emotionally drained and confused. Had he told the truth, was there really attacks elsewhere, how could Thomas not tell her? She had heard Thomas and Chief Morehouse talking about a month ago, s*** what was it about? Not willing to be on display any more she walked to the bedroom grabbing clothes, once in a t-shirt and jeans she walked around the corner to see Thomas’ flannel hanging from his recliner Sam grabbed it putting it on, She pulled the edges to her nose breathing deep, “Uncle, Help me,” she pleaded in a whisper.
Sam made her way to the hall, to grab her cell out of the bucket that she and Uncle Thomas threw pocket stuff in. She called Chief Morehouse, the pack-leader of the Centenarian pack, and the unofficial Were communities ambassador. Sam got his voice mail, but she knew she would, all Weres should be enjoying the full moon, dawn was not for a couple more hours. Waiting for the proverbial beep to leave a voicemail. “Chief Morehouse, sir this is Sam Murry, I am Thomas Murry’ niece. There has been an attack here in Heartsville and I believe Uncle Thomas is dead and half the pack as well” In tears again, the only thing she could say was “Please come” she ended the call and put the cell back in the bucket.
She decided she needed to align with the vampire to be able to find out everything. Never knowing what was going on in the pack put her at a large disadvantage. That decision meant that she would need to step back out on the porch and give the vamp want he wanted, “s***, I hate damn vamps!!” Sam said to the empty house.
Cracking the door to see him standing right there with a smirk that annoyed her more than anything she could ever remember. Swallowing her pride she stepped back and invited him in. Lowering her head as she ground her teeth, “Well first my name is Sam.” She got a simple “I know,” in response but good enough for now.
Leon made his way to the kitchen table and sat. This was her and Uncle Thomas’ spot for important talks, she would not talk to a vampire there. How to get him to move without letting him know she wanted it, she thought for just a second.
Sam had an idea, “Marshal, if you wouldn’t mind, could we sit in the living room? My cell gets better bars in here and I did just leave the voice mail for Chief Morehouse.”
Leon didn’t reply, just got up and moved to the living room, and looked at Sam.
With great control Sam didn’t roll her eyes, “Sir, could you tell me something of what you know?” Sam asked.
With a shrug, Leon began talking, what followed was a re-telling of events that had transpired in the old factory district that held a population of were-foxes, no detail was spared. Leon described how the humans seemed mindless, almost devoid of any real thought except for what they were ordered to do. Just what they were ordered to do had been to kill every man, woman, and child. He also mentioned they had witches and shifters working with them.
“Well” he said raising an eyebrow “Does any of this sound familiar? Surely Murry shared his concerns with one of you…I want to know if these same people attacked Heartsville tonight. As soon as I find out one way or another, I’ll leave you to your grieving”
Sam mulled over what Leon had said, humans couldn’t kill weres, but if they had help could they? Finally, she looked at Leon.
“I do remember a talk, problem is, I can’t remember details. They were in the kitchen drinking coffee and I was in here watching TV, but I heard them talk about witches and I remember laughing because witches could never take us. I do remember a name though, it was a shifter named Sebastian, no that’s wrong, Cemion I think... yeah, that’s it. They said he was a power player and needed to be watched. Oh yeah, and he lives in Monroe in the lower class.”
It was all she could do to remain where she was, Sam wanted to start looking for the people that did this. Sam moved to the window but the scene of her family being carried away, many in pieces, made her go back to the recliner to sit down. She took a steading breath before continuing, “Must be why he wanted to be part of this, to move up a level or two.” Hatred was easily seen in her eyes, “I want to be involved in this now, I have a right to avenge Uncle Thomas’ death.”
Pacing, Sam spun on her heels to face Leon, “JIM!! OH f*** ME!!!” Looking straight at Leon, “that f***er is always in the middle of s***! When I ran off so I wouldn’t have to marry him he could have called them to attack. He was here when I left, but I don’t see him in the victims.” Walking to the door, “I’ll make a quick search for him; breathing or not I’ll know his stench.” Transforming right there and darting out the door…..
As she went to Jim’s house first, she searched every room seeing no sign of him there. Outside she worked her way to each house, some had survivors some had the remains of what used to be her family members. The smell of death was everywhere, it was choking her, but worse the smell would begin to attract other animals. Swinging her massive head in different directions and never picking up Jim’s scent outside his house meant he was gone.
She slowly moved back to her own home when she saw movement, it was Uncle Thomas! At full speed she was there in a second, going to the house first clamping her jaws down on the flannel, she returned to his side and transformed throwing on the flannel. With little hope and a very small voice, “Uncle?” Turning him over to see him take a breath made her tears flow once more, “You’re ALIVE” kissing his cheek then laying hers on his, “I’m sorry, I am so sorry Unc’ I didn’t think.... I just.... I need you here, please wake up”
“Your master is weak therefore cannot be of any help, leave him and tell me of your findings” Leon stated from directly behind her.
Looking up at Leon with more hate than she ever knew she could possess, “You will get away from my uncle and you will not address me at all unless you learn a little manners”
Looking around she saw Jeb and Terrence walking in a lost daze, calling to them to help carry Thomas inside. Both looked shocked that he had survived but also relived, they gently carried him in laying him in his own bed, Jeb looked at Sam not trying to hide the anger, “I am not sure if you should be happy or scared he survived, you cannot be trusted to care for him.”
He then turned to Terrence, “You will stand guard till we contact Tarak, I’ll call Dr. Horroka” without so much as a good-bye he was gone and Terrence was glaring at Sam.
Leon found all this amusing, with a laugh in his voice “Do not fault them for being intelligent, I myself am having issues trusting you, but alas I trust no Were so do not take it personally.”
Glaring at him was becoming the norm for Sam, but in a very calm voice that held a hint of humor, “I rescind your invitation” as soon as the words were spoken she watched the smirk turn to anger as an invisible hand pulled Leon through the house and out the front door.
He stood there, agitation obvious, “I will be awaiting when you decide you still need me, but beware I do not have the patience to stand here while you relish in your little victory.”
Sam walked to the door, smiling at him “Then don’t, I will be relishing for quite some time.” she slammed the door returning to Thomas’s room.
Sitting on the edge of Thomas’ bed as she held his hand, looking at Terrence “Go see how long before Dr. Horroka gets here.”
Terrence shifted from foot to foot but didn’t move from his spot, “I ain’t going nowhere Sam, Jeb was right, we don’t trust you. He’ll let us know when he finds out.”
She moved uncomfortable on the bed but didn’t argue anymore, she knew that everyone would blame her, but would Uncle Thomas? Walking toward the door as Terrence stepped in front of it. “Terrence move, now... I could kick your ass when we were kids and if you want to test me, we can see if I still can.”
He had a doubt in his eyes and that was all she needed, “Terrence I need to go see what’s taken Jeb so long, Hell, I’ll call Tarak myself if ya want.”
Terrence stepped to the side, “You can go, but make sure I can find you, ok?” he asked
Getting to the door Sam turned looked at her uncle then to Terrence, “Everyone will know where I am when I find out who did this.” With that she went to the patio door and was gone, heading for the tree line. She had found Jim’s scent just as she cleared the trees about a quarter-mile past the Heartsville Bridge, “What the hell Jim? Why would you get out here?”
Jumping as the voice answered her, “to instruct those arriving” Leon stood glaring at her, “you have wasted precious time coddling the old one, then thinking you could escape me. Tell me what you found out so I can leave this... this, do you even consider this a town?” Leon motioned around him as he asked.
Ok this man could piss her off more than anyone in her life ever has, “Look, Leon... this is MY town and it is MY family, the Old One is my uncle and the pack master, you would think you might know that”
“I know who he is, as I told you before, he came to King Martal and myself to request information. I just do not care that he is injured, it does not help, nor hurt me, therefore of little interest to me. Now, tell me what you learned”
Putting a hand on her hip, “Well he is of major interest to me so if you want to know what I find out I suggest you fake concern,” Sam cocked an eyebrow as she waited.
Rolling his eyes, “If you know it is just words that I do not feel, why do you require them?”
Shrugging knowing she was about to win, “Because it would make me feel better”
“Very well, I hope the old one survives the wounds inflicted because he lost focus”
Sam knew that was the best she would get, after all, vampires had no heart. “That will do I guess, Jim left before the attack, he took stuff with him too. His place was tossed around like he threw things together in a hurry. Then he stopped to get out here. There you are up to speed on what I know.”
“This Jim, you were to marry him?”
“Yes, Uncle Thomas had it arranged for tonight”
“But you chose to defy your pack master and run away as a child?”
“Yes Sherlock, those clues have already been found out”
“You would die if you were mine” he did not say this in anger or judgmental, just factual.
“I know, this was not something I planned Leon, but I will face whatever punishment the pack has for me.” after a few seconds, “if he dies, I will take my own life.”
“So once more you would take the escape instead of facing your accusers? You are a coward” Leon stated.
That got the fire going she was missing, “Look asshole, no one asked you to come here and damn sure ain’t no one asking you to stay. You wanna leave be my guest, poof be gone, fly away do whatever it is you deadheads do”
He smirked at Sam, “Poof?? No, I believe you will be poofing with me when I do, I will need you to find this Jim.”
“I will find Jim by myself, and deal with him my way”
“No, you will find your betrothed, he will answer my questions and what you do from there I do not care”
“He is not my betrothed!” Sam snapped.
“He is if that is the way we find him. Come on, I believe I know where to begin” Leon turned walking up the road away from Heartsville, Sam looked back to town, then to Leon, then back again unsure of what to do. Leon stopped irritated again, “What now?”
Just as irritated Sam lashed out, “You claim I am a coward but would assist me in running away? I was told to stay here, REMEMBER?.”
“Can you find no way around this, no wonder your pack was taken so easily. If all pumas are so dim-witted then good riddance.”
Seething that the blows were hitting too close to home, she began to pace trying to figure out how to handle this, “I will go back to let Terrence know that I’m leaving with you, he can tell Jeb where I’ll be. Just so you are aware, when uncle Thomas wakes up I will return to see him.”
As they rounded the bend in the road it became obvious how he had arrived here, no poofing needed. A beautiful, older, red corvette sat on the side of the road, she was no good at years but she was pretty sure it was a sixties model. If it had been anyone else she would be bouncing all over the place begging to drive it, but with it being him all she said was, “nice ride.”
Turning to go back to Heartsville to go tell Terrence when his steel bands wrapped around her arm pulling her back, “We do not have time for this, you will call him”
Sam jerked trying to release his hold but this time he expected it, “Let me go Leon, I will do this how I want too.”
Pulling her to the car, “you were given that chance already and screwed it up, we do it my way now. The sun will rise in the next hour, we will go to my home sleep till the moon rises again. We will look for this man then.”
Sam couldn’t believe her ears, the jerk repeatedly said they were wasting time, we need to hurry, we don’t have time for this and now he is talking about waiting till tomorrow night, “Leave me here and I can look through the day today, we will be that much further ahead.”
Leon looked down at her, raising an eyebrow, “you are a runner, I do not intend to make the same mistake your master made. I will keep you to where I know you will stay put.” then he added, “call your keeper, tell him I will be watching you”
“Are you kidding me, I have no f***ing keeper, LET ME GO! f*** you and f*** Jeb! I will do this how I want to” Sam screamed in frustration as she continued to try to jerk away from him.
“Language Sam, what would your master say? Come, I do not have time to baby you, the sun waits for no one.”
“Would you stop calling him my master? He is my uncle! I hope the sun rises and fries your ass! I want to....” before she could finish a familiar pickup came hauling ass toward them slamming on the brakes, Sam coughed on the dirt kicked up. “Now you’re in trouble, that’s my brother Tarak.”
© Copyright 2022 PotterWatch (UN: potterwatch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
PotterWatch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031298