*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031300
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2241087
Were creatures are being attacked and it is up to Sam Murry to find out who and why.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1031300 added April 24, 2022 at 8:59pm
Restrictions: None
Secrets are Never Easy

They slowly walked through town to the woods, Sam told him everything about the day, how she had come home to play with Terry, then Uncle Thomas telling her she had to marry Jim. She showed him where she had run in the woods. He stopped at one point sitting on a fallen log, “Tell me how they could not find you to make you follow pack law”
Shuffling from foot to foot Sam kicked around dead pine needles, “I have a place, no one knows about it. I go there when I need.... to escape.”
He didn’t look at all surprised, “Oh I have that very thing myself, it is called my basement, My wife is scared of spiders and I continually tell her there a many down there” Morehouse said with a chuckle.
Relieved Sam smiled, “She will figure you out one day”
He returned her smile, “she has, but just as any family does, she allows me time away. You need to learn to trust your family Sam; you would do better to have support at these times.”
Sitting on the log beside him, “I don’t belong here, never have,” she said softly.
With a concerned look, Morehouse asked, “And where do you belong, it seems to me that you have used your beauty to escape and have been even more hurt.”
Sam stared at the man as if he had lost his mind, had he really just said she was beautiful? Hadn’t he also said she used that beauty. How had she done that? It made no sense. She wondered if perhaps he was losing a bit of his edge.
“Sir, no disrespect but I think you are confused or have me mixed up with someone else. I have never been beautiful and Uncle Thomas has always said that I would eventually grow into my ears.” Sam subconsciously reached for her ear as she continued. “I don’t know how I could use beauty I don’t have to escape anything?”
Chief Morehouse took her hand, “My dear, you grew into those ears several years ago. As to how you use your beauty I must admit I thought it was knowingly done, it seems I may have been mistaken. My dear, every time you bat those beautiful eyes, or toss that lovely long hair you get your way. That is how I assumed you used it to escape the normal laws of your pack.
Standing suddenly not wanting to talk about this, “So what else did you need to know?”
Once more chuckling, Morehouse held up a hand, “Ok I will drop it. Let me ask this then, why do you refuse the order of not only your uncle but your pack-master?” All humor was gone from his voice, he expected an answer.
Not exactly where she wanted the conversation to turn but knew he would ask, “I hate him, he just makes my skin crawl. Shouldn’t you be asked if you feel attracted to someone before you are just given to them?” Sam knew she sounded like an insolent child but to her, the fact was that she was tired of feeling like a piece of meat.
Chief Morehouse stood walking back towards Heartsville, stopping to lean on a tree, looking at the little house of Tabitha Murry. “You need to understand that life as a Were is one of challenges, but also, I believe you are blind to its many privileges. We are a special breed, whether puma or wolf we have many things we have as benefits.” Morehouse turned to look at her, “Sam, you do not see what we, as pack-masters, have to deal with?”
Before Sam could reply, Morehouse added, “Tell me, what do you believe to be the most important thing for a pack-master?” he asked.
Still looking back at her for her answer, she moved up beside him, “to protect the pack?” she answered.
“What good is protecting something that has no growth, but yes protection is important. Do you wish to take another guess?” Chief Morehouse asked.
She leaned on her own tree thinking for a few minutes, “Well, I guess to make sure we don’t go extinct?”
Smiling broadly now, Chief Morehouse moved to stand with her. “Yes, we ensure that we as a pack survive for generation after generation. Your uncle has even a harder task, there are no other puma packs close for you to breed with. He has to pick what he believes to be the strongest matches. If he chose Jim, there has to be a reason.” Looking deep into her eyes, “Now you want to tell me why he is wrong?”
Sam looked away with tears stinging her eyes. “I can’t tell you that, but they are good reasons.”
Morehouse turned, walking back into town, knowing she would follow. “Then that tells me he was not in the wrong, you were. Once more your mistrust of your family cost you almost everything you hold dear.” he said flatly.
Stopping right there, she watched as he continued to walk away.
“Did that never occur to you?” He asked over his shoulder, “Did your mistrust never cause you issues before” He walked with both hands linked behind his back, stopping he turned to her, “Tell me Sam, who is it you do trust?”
She walked slowly to him, “I trust Tarak.”
With a bit of a tilt to his head as if to say really, “So Tarak knew of your issues with this man?”
She looked ashamed. “No, I didn’t tell him till today,” she rushed to add, “but not because I didn’t trust him, because I knew what he would do.”
Morehouse merely laughed. “So you didn’t trust his reaction to the news, am I correct?”
“Yes, but you’re twisting it!” Sam said with annoyance. She wanted to scream at this man. He did not know what he was talking about. He just wanted to make Sam feel even worse that she already did. Morehouse was turning this all around.
“My dear, I have only repeated what you have said. Now humor an old wolf and allow me to make one more observation? I gather you are not well-liked nor trusted am I correct so far?”
Sam reluctantly nodded, and he continued, “This is a product of your mistrust, for if you do not trust anyone with your not-so-secret secrets, they see you as someone that is hiding something.” Morehouse held up a hand to stop the interruption that he knew Sam was about to make. “Oh, I do not mean to say they are correct, but look at it this way, if a man stands in the alleys never coming to light, will you go to him? But if the same man is standing on the corner of that same alley, and merely says good morning, would you respond? It is the same man, different lights.... do you see what I am showing you, Sam? By hiding away, you have become untrustworthy. Now your home and most all in it were decimated. Right or wrong, they see you as a reason for it.”
Anger flashed deep in Sam’s soul because she wasn’t a mopy cry baby. She wouldn’t just accept this judgement. They would see her as untrustworthy? That was just fine with her, she was now that outcast that she had wanted. Sam knew this wasn’t the way she wished to become a lobo, but beggars couldn’t be choosy or so Uncle Thomas always said. “So now I will face the pack as a Lobo just like Tarak? Well, that’s just perfect, I’ll leave... they will never worry about me upsetting their sad little lives ever again!” Sam spat out.
Morehouse shook his head. “There are several holes in that theory. First you are a puma, so Lobo is not the correct term. Second, have you not always wanted to leave? That leads me to the conclusion that you would have run away long ago, if you could? Third, I believe the one you should think hardest on. If Jim allowed his pack, that include his friends and family, to be so decimated just because you upset him, what more could and would he do if he found you alone.”
As they arrived back at the front porch he turned to her, gently taking her arms, looking into her eyes, “I am not your pack-master, but I am an old dog so listen to me.... you need to learn to trust members of your pack. You must tell them why you made the choices you did, allow them to decide if you were justified. Their reactions may surprise you.” Kissing her forehead he turned to go inside, “Now I believe I need some of that food I told Tarak about.” Sam followed him; deep in thought, she went straight for the couch, sitting down.
“WELL?? Do you wish to sit there or see your uncle?” said a high-pitched voice.
Jolted out of her thoughts, Sam looked up to see Dr. Horroka. The doctor was half fairy, half dwarf. She stood no taller than Sam’s waist. Her short stature was the only thing small about the elderly woman. From her round belly to her overly exaggerated gray hair bun. Sam had only met the doctor one other time and didn’t know that the woman even remembered her. Dr. Horroka stood glaring at her over her glasses, “Get your butt up and come on girl, he is asking for you,” she barked out the order in her high pitch fairy voice, with a hint of the graveling undertones from her age. Had the situation been any different, Sam may have laughed.
Dr. Horroka led the way to Thomas Murry’s room. Sam had lived here for years and knew the way just fine. She began to wonder if the doc was being just as judgemental as everyone else. What was the old lady scared of? Maybe they all thought Sam would finish off the job Jim had started.
Sam couldn’t help but feel as if she were walking the last mile. Her emotions were all over the place; fear, hate, elation, relief, regret and those were just a few. Sam stepped slowly into the room to see Uncle Thomas. He laid in bed shirtless, with a sheet pulled just above his waist. They had bandaged his head, as well as his right arm. His ribs looked to have a heating pad lain on them. Thomas was propped up just a bit, Sam knew he was waiting for her. She knew better but couldn’t stop herself, she ran to the bed grabbing his hand, “I was so worried!” Sam exclaimed, not even realizing she had started to cry.
Thomas pulled his hand away, still just watching her. When he spoke, it was in a very weak voice, still instilled respect.
“Tell me why you would bring this on your own pack?” Thomas saw the hurt and defensive look cross Sam’s eyes before he added, “I see this as your fault as much as it is the renegade’s” His tone was flat, no emotion, no anger, just flat as if there was no love for his niece. It was as if he was dealing with a bug that had crawled onto his bed.
Shocked that even he would blame her made her falter, “but, but all I did was...” Thomas held up his hand to silence her, “All you did was defy me. That will never be accepted especially . You ran off, dishonored me, distracted me, and look at your results Sam.”
She lowered her head, “I will make no excuses”
Fire jumped to his eyes, “Martyr role does not sit well on you, I did not ask for excuses, I ASKED for an explanation,” he roared.
The sound of someone clearing their throat caused both to turn to look toward the door, there stood Chief Morehouse, “It is good to see you, my friend. I see you are feeling better. Last I saw you that was a debatable idea.”
Thomas nodded to him, “I want to thank you for your arrival here, helping find the responsible parties.”
“Well, that is due to your niece’s fast thinking, in truth the first on the scene was Leon Marsond. She was the one that refused him and called me”
Thomas set his jaw in defiance, he would not accept any praise of her, Morehouse looked to Sam but still spoke to Thomas. “There are reasons we all make the mistakes we do, some are big, but they may include bigger reasons for the mistake, is this not true Sam?”
Thomas looked from Morehouse to Sam several times, “You two all tight now?” Morehouse chuckled, “No, No... although she will not share her reasons, I do have an idea of what they may be. Thomas you should know she did leave last night to find who did this.” with that Morehouse turned and left.
Thomas looked at Sam, “Sit”
She sat on the very edge of the bed, “Yes sir?”
“You left with Marsond last night?”
“I didn’t know that it was him, but yes sir, he kind of made me. I think he knows where Jim is”
“You travel with vampires you will never return”
“Oh, Tarak is with me!” Sam hoped she had made yet another mistake.
“I want him with you at all times. Do you understand me!”
“Yes Uncle” lowering her head, “I’m sorry I am a cause in all this.” Sam lifted her eyes to meet his, “I would never knowingly do anything to endanger our pack,” Sam said with such conviction it was hard for Thomas to stay quite as mad.
Thomas now took her hand, “Tell me what Morehouse was talking about, why did you have reason to run?” This time his tone was that of her Uncle, the same that had taken care of her for years.
Sitting on the bed trying to decide how to tell her uncle everything without telling him anything. Looking down to her hand as it held his, “I don’t know how to tell you this, I’ve never told anyone till today, and now it seems like I am telling everyone. Everyone will think I am making things up to cover my ass. I don’t need people to think I’m worse than they already do.”
Swallowing hard, standing she walked to the window staring at the group of mothers trying to get their children to understand some of what was going on. Lonny, a six-year-old small lanky boy broke free running into their yard. He stopped when he saw Sam, he smiled waving his little hand so hard. Sam raised her hand to wave back when Jenny Lee saw who her son was waving at, she swiftly pulled his hand down, pulling him away glaring at Sam as if she had the plague.
Sam rolled her eyes, “God, being scared isn’t contagious but thank all above, neither is stupidity because we would have a serious outbreak here.”
When Thomas didn’t respond, Sam finally starting her story “Do you remember the day I came to you to ask if I could live with Tarak forever? I was only ten, you thought I had such a crush on him” Looking over her shoulder, “Do you remember that?”
Uncle Thomas had a hint of a smile, “I thought and still think you do, I am waiting for you to admit that old dog is more than the brother you profess.”
Letting out a heavy sigh, “Anyway, soon after is when I started getting into fights, then came the boys. I thought every boy outside Heartsville could take me out of here, and if you remember as little as 6 months ago I was willing to do anything to escape this place, with anybody.”
Turning away from the window to lean on the sill, looking at the wood floor and the patterns of the grain of each plank. “I didn’t have a crush on Tarak unc’, well I did but that wasn’t why I wanted to live with him. I was ten when Jim started being, well umm being nice to me, wanting me to pay attention to him. He didn’t get bad till I was eleven and I started developing, he started coming over every time you left.” Now that she has started, she couldn’t stop. If she did, she would curl up and die of humiliation.
“He would come over asking to borrow stuff then tell me how pretty I was, touching my hair, rubbing my shoulders.” she stood wrapping her arms around herself in self-protection. “He was so mad that my first shift was with Tarak that he backhanded me when he found out.”
Thomas forced himself to sit up more, but with obvious pain, “I remember the bruised cheek and black eye, you told me you got into a fight at school.”
Sam quickly moved to the bed, pushing him back down, “You lay down, you are in no condition to hear this. Just know that I learned to fend him off in time with Tarak’s help, but Uncle Thomas I would never defy you if it wasn’t something I just could not do, and I couldn’t be married to him,” in a much softer voice she added, “I’m sorry.”
Thomas looked at his niece then pulled the blankets to look busy trying to think of a way to say what he wanted, “You should have told me. I am your pack master and that is against pack law. I would have had him removed never to return. I am your Uncle, more of a father, and you believed I would have sided against you? That is what hurts me more than any wound I have. I do not know how one little girl can mistrust so many. Did he ever...... “ Thomas trailed off, wanting to know, but not wanting to at the same time, “Did he do more than touch”
Sam tucked him back in as new tears formed in her eyes, “That is not a question, for now, now you get better so you can lead your pack again, not some know it all Wolf.”
Thomas held her hand in place on the blanket, “He will pay for what he did to you, but you will still be punished for your mistrust in your pack. You understand that don’t you?”
She nodded as she pulled her hand away, “Yes I know, get some sleep” kissing his cheek she headed out the door, backing out closing it softly.
“Answer his question” growled a voice.
Jumping she glared at Tarak, “What?”
He stood leaned on the wall with his arms crossing his chest, “Answer his question”
Hissing under her breath, “Not now Tarak; damn it, why are you standing here listening anyway, that’s rude.”
He pushed away from the wall grabbing her arm; escorting her through the house speaking just loud enough for all to hear, “we’re out of here, adios, see ya, be back later, f*** you and all that bulls***” out the door they went.
He let her go as they got to the truck, “We need to get back to Goldilocks, it will be dusk in an hour and a half. I want to be ready to go if he does know where that prick might be.”
Sam jumped in the truck, waiting for him to start the truck and get it on the road, then she turned on him, “What the f*** was that all about, you didn’t let me say goodbye to anyone, they don’t even know where I am going. Hell, they probably think I am running off again.”
Tarak merely drove not acknowledging anything she said, stomping her foot to the floorboard, “God you can be an asshole”
Tarak had never been in less of a mood to deal with vampires. Of course, if he were to be honest with himself, he was never in the mood to deal with the bloodsuckers at all. If Goldilocks got him to Jim, Tarak had to admit that might make them useful in some way. When Sam called him an asshole, he turned to look at her, “I’m the asshole? You hid things from me, and I’m the asshole? Do you realize the things going through my mind Sam?” Tarak rolled his eyes as he hit the steering wheel, causing Sam to jump. “Do you have any clue the tailspin you put me in?”
She had the good sense to lower her head, “I didn’t want anyone to know, ever.” Looking back at him, “but now you know, so can we just move past it and find who attacked Heartsville.”
Tarak shook his head, “Not till you answer the question.”
She looked at him confused, “You didn’t ask me anything?”
With a frustrated exhale of air, slamming his fist on the steering wheel again but was now yelling at Sam, “The f***ing question Thomas asked you, don’t play stupid with me; I know you better little one!!”
Jerking her head to look at Tarak, “Don’t you yell at me Tarak Arnott, I didn’t know what you meant, ‘sides I don’t got to answer nothing if I don’t want to.” turning away as best she could in the small front seat of the truck, she looked out the window, hoping to get her point across.
“Well f*** me... damn it, just what we need!” Tarak looked in his rear-view mirror to see Sheriff Rich Marzak lighting him up, as he pulled over he looked at Sam, “He doesn’t know nothing about what happened Heartsville so just sit there, You got me?” This was Tarak’s don’t cross me on this voice, rolling her eyes, but she did as she was told and said nothing as Tarak lowered his window.
The sheriff was an older man that looked to need a few good meals, he had bags under his eyes, and deep wrinkles on his face. He would retire in the next couple of years by the look of it.
Tarak held out his license and insurance out the window as the sheriff walked up, he took it as he leaned in to look at Tarak, “What’s the rush Tarak?” as he looked over at Sam, “How do Sam?” She nodded but turned away,
Tarak chuckled, “No rush Marzak, just not paying the speed no mind, sorry bout that” Sheriff glanced at Sam, then to Tarak, “Looks to me like she’s been crying.”
Tarak leaned out the window as if entrusting Rich with a secret, “Ricky Samuels just dumped her, I was taken her to Jackson to get her mind off it, ya know how women are”
Rich knew Sam’s reputation and knew better than to say anything about it, “Well if that’s the case I can see why you would want to get where you’re going. But damn it, Tarak slow it down.”
“Will do Rich, ‘preciate the pass,” Tarak said with a smile.
Rich handed the license and insurance card back, tipping his cowboy hat to Sam, “Hope things work out for you Miss.”
© Copyright 2022 PotterWatch (UN: potterwatch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
PotterWatch has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031300