*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031765
Rated: ASR · Book · Personal · #1313678
You will find Taylor Swift, women items and everything under the sun.
#1031765 added November 19, 2022 at 2:17pm
Restrictions: None
Andres Blogging Bar Challenge Day 1 Home Sweet Home
Prompt: Every place has a history. Some towns were founded to support gold rushes, others were close to oceans.

What's the history of where you live? What was the early industry that made your town the place to be? Who founded your town and when?

I live in Hamlet, Indiana. I call it Hooterville. Like on Green Acres. It is a small town and it is backwards. My husband's father was a farmer and raised pigs. He never had a pig named Arnold. Pigs smell. My father-in-law said that was the smell of money. My money never smelled like that! He called his farm Green Acres and I am like Lisa Douglas. Nice clothes and jewelry and not a farmer's wife. We have a sign that says Green Acres but my husband won't out it out in the yard. I don't drive tractors. I go shop in the city but I love living in the country. We have cornfields on each side, across the road and behind us. We have one neighbor 1/4 a mile away, seperated by a corn field.

The history of Hamlet. It was named for a man named John Hamlet. Hamlet is farming industry. 1863 Hamlet, Indiana was founded. No one in my town has the last name Hamlet. We have a Coop. This is an elevator where corn and grain are stored. A railroad track runs next to it and the train hauls the corn, wheat and beans to other locations. We also have mint fields and potatoes the past few years. There isn't much information about the history of Hamlet.

We have cows in Hamlet. We have a ditch. It isn't very fancy. You can drive around country roads and it is so easy to get lost. If you know the area, you won't be lost. We don't have many old barns left, sadly.

We have the county fair every year.We had the Centennial in 1963. I got to wear a red and white dress and everyone dressed up like 1863. It was like living in the past for a day. No cars that day. Horses and carriages and covered wagons. My Great Grandmother and her family traveled to Hamlet in a covered wagon. I bet she knew John Hamlet. My Great Grandma had a book about the history of our county but it belongs to my mother and she doesn't loan it out. This book will be mine someday.

My grandfather was a farmer. My one uncle is a farmer. There are several farm families around. There was a small factory years ago but I don't know what it produced.

In Hamlet, we no longer have a bank. We have a convenience store, an American Legion Hall, a tractor repair shop and a bar , library and Post Office.

We have a lake near by called Koontz Lake. We live 2 miles from this lake and 2 miles from Hamlet A local Mill owner was Sam Koontz and the lake was named for him. A big tornado almost wiped out Koontz Lake on Palm Sunday in 1965 but that was years ago and it has thrived since. They have a Fire Department and we now have Dollar General Stores.

This is all I have at this time. Hopefully, I can tell you more from future prompts.

551 Words

** Image ID #2270962 Unavailable **




© Copyright 2022 Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox (UN: tigger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1031765