*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032278-Chapter-10
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #2272852
Jake, Beth, and Pam have to band together with old foes to stop the monster they unleashed
#1032278 added May 12, 2022 at 5:10am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 10
Beth took a deep breath as she stared down at the small mask that Pam had given her before their fight. A modified version of her hood that expanded and retracted into a purple domino mask. She and Jake had worked in tandem to create it, but she hadn't bothered trying it out. Between the falling out between the three of them, the impromptu adventure to the underworld, and now being thrown into a war, there simply hadn't been time. Maybe it was fitting that this be the first time she wore it. She'd donned the original when she decided to take a stand against Goth, and now that battle was finally at a climax. One way or another, things were coming to a close with Goth.

"Beth," Alexis said, closing the door to the armory, "Everyone's ready. Whatcha got there?"

"A gift," Beth replied, sliding the mask into place and tapping a button on the side.

The top of the mask folded out and stretched over the top of her head. Panels extended and sat loosely while the bottom half unfurled and covered her cheeks and her mouth. The whole of it looked loose while it finished, but once it finished, it began to tighten up. The base came down just above her collar, no doubt a thought from Pam. The panels began to conform to the shape of her skull, and the respirator built in hummed to life. The eyes flashed a brilliant white before narrowing to slits, and a quick glance in the mirror revealed two small horns adorning the top of it. She grinned behind the cover of the mask. Of course Jake and Pam would have given her those. It fed into the rumors that The Feral was some sort of otherworldly monster.

Alexis whistled in the doorway, "Looking good, killer. Is that nanotech?"

"Fuck if I know," Beth said, her voice modulator taking effect, "Jake's the tech whiz. All I know is basic software stuff and basic alchemy."

"Chemistry," Alexis corrected.

"Whatever," Beth sighed.

"Modern chemistry is derived a lot from the alchemy Pammy has been teaching you," Alexis continued before tentatively asking, "Do you think they're okay?"

"They're dealing with a demon queen who has a lady boner for Jake," Beth replied, "I'm sure they're alright. Pam has been extra protective of me recently, so if shit goes south, I'm pretty sure she's willing to go to war with Lilith and her minions. They won't fail, Alexis, not after everything we've been through."

"I hope you're right," Alexis said before perking back up, "Let's go cause some chaos! Nothing like a little mayhem to take my mind off of the bullshit."

"Agreed," Beth said, following her out of the room and back into the main chamber.

The others stood around the main table. Sam and Sally were checking their guns and explosives. They wore thick leather chaps and jackets with crude steel plates attached to the shoulders. Kait sat by the table sharpening her sword and wearing her armor, while Havoc stood off to the side with her arms crossed. The behemoth seemed almost like she was in a trance from the way she stood off. Zoey sat at a desk off to the side with various monitors surrounding her; she was to be their eyes and ears on the streets. Jason was wearing a heavy and tattered coat that held a literal arsenal of weapons, ammo, and explosives inside of it. All of them looked ready and uneasy in the face of the war that was about to erupt.

Sally looked up at Beth and Alexis as they walked over, "About damn time you got here. I like the new helmet, Beth. It'll be a nice show of what's to come when we ride into battle."

"Thanks, Sal, but my bike is still trashed," Beth said, "I never got around to getting a new one."

"Jesus that voice is unnerving," Sam shuddered, "Can you turn that thing off while it's just us?"

"Don't think so," Beth replied.

"Best to leave it on," Jason said, looking up at her, "The Feral is who we need on this mission, and we need all the fear that we can muster if we're going to make a dent in their forces."

"Last thing," Sam said, "Sal and I got you a little something, Beth. Think of it as a thanks for not killing us, and as a token of our appreciation for...well, again, not killing us."

"Well said, Sammie," Sally sighed, "She's trying to say that we built you a bike for everything you and your girlfriend have done for us. Custom made, the parts are salvaged from junk yards and the old gang's bikes, so we didn't steal anything for it. Modeled after a mix of your look and the old Harley you liked when you were a kid."

"You remember that?" Beth asked, genuinely shocked.

"Course I do," Sally said, "Don't get all mushy on me now, but I figured you deserved something after everything you've done for all of us."

"I don't know what to say," Beth said, "I'm actually speechless for once."

"Yeah, well you can show your gratitude by taking down that psycho witch," Sally said.

"If that's all," Jason cut in, "We need to get a move on. Assuming the intel you got is correct, we only have a short window to get into position. You three will lead the charge. Kait, Havoc, and Alexis will ride with one of you, and I'll stick to the buildings to provide covering fire."

"I still don't get why you get to hide and post up," Sally grumbled.

"Because I'm a better shot, and the rest of you aren't known for stealth," Jason replied, "Beth being the exception, but having her on the front line sends a more powerful message."

"Yeah, plus burn boy probably isn't much good in a fight," Alexis mused.

"I'll ignore that since we have more important things to worry about," Jason sighed, "Zoey, you've got eyes on the CCTV cams, right?"

"Affirmative," Zoey said, "Looks like they're starting to mobilize from Blackridge Manor. Unless it's an elaborate feint, it looks like the intel on the choke points was correct. Stick to the route we discussed, and we should be good."

"Alright, ladies, figure out who's going with who, and let's hit the streets," Jason said, I'm going on ahead via the rooftops, and let's hope that Jake and Pam come through on their end."

"My shocks aren't gonna support Havoc's big ass," Sam said, "I can ride with either of you two, but Havoc is-"

"I'll ride with Beth," Havoc interrupted, "I've seen the bike, and I have a promise to keep. No arguments from anyone."

"I'll ride with Sammie," Alexis cheered, "It's the next best thing to being with Jake. Besides you swing both ways now, so maybe we could have some fun after all this."

"She's mine, Alexis," Zoey warned, "Isn't that right, Samantha?"

"Argue about who is gonna fuck who after the shit show is done!" Sally snapped, "Jesus fucking Christ, I'm about sick of everyone trying to get laid around here."

"Too right," Kait agreed, "There's a war going on, and we need to concentrate on that first."

"Says the girl who's been secretly cuddling, fucking, and playing with our fearless leader," Alexis said, sticking her tongue out.

"Alright, that's enough!" Beth snapped, "We've got a job to do, damnit, and the longer we wait, the more time we give Goth's forces. Let's move out!"

"Finally time to free the beast," Sally laughed, "Let's remind this city that there's more to fear than Goth and her bullshit!"

The six of them headed downstairs after checking their comms one final time along with their equipment. Despite their bravado, the descent was eerily silent. The fact that this was their one shot weighed heavily on their minds. Even Alexis seemed to be lost in thought as they walked down the rickety old stairwell. Tensions were high, but it wasn't fear that kept them quiet. It was anticipation. All of them were ready for this nightmare to come to a close. They would fight together and see it through. Whatever the cost may be, they stood as a united front ready for the battle on the horizon.

Sally and Sam had hidden their bikes in an alleyway not far from the clocktower. A clever tarp, filthy and discolored, laid atop them. Beth had often heard that the best place to hide was in the open, and it seemed there was a measure of truth to that old saying. Sally pulled the tarp off to reveal hers and Sam's stinkcycles. True to their word, a third bike sat in the corner. A large wheel in the back, and a low seat with high handlebars sat on it. The paint job was a deep shade of purple, much like her hood. It was a beauty, and it was touching to know that they'd put so much thought into it. A large FK was etched onto the top panel, and she couldn't help but smile as she ran her hand over it. They hadn't put it there to mock her, but instead had done it as a reminder of who she was now.

She turned to Havoc before she got on, "I gotta ask, why the sudden interest in riding with me?"

"Call it a change of heart," Havoc replied, "This is a foolish suicide mission, but I gave my word that I'd keep you safe until your mistress returns. My time may be coming to an end, but I'll die before I let you fall. Jake showed me that there may still be some good in this world, and as cruel as you may be, your methods are a means to a peaceful end."

"Cryptic, but thanks, I think," Beth said, sitting herself down on the seat of her bike, "I don't plan on losing anyone during this fight, though."

"Nobody plans to fail or die," Havoc countered, sitting down behind and testing the strength of the bike's suspension, "Losses are an inevitability, unfortunate as that may be. Regardless, everyone here will fight to their last breath if it means stopping the monster in the manor. Tell me something, Beth Thompson. Are you really prepared to cut down the people you've sworn to protect?"

"I'll do whatever I have to if it'll put an end to Goth," Beth replied, "If they choose to lay down their lives for her bullshit cause, then I'll put them down. If they have any sense at all, they'll lay down their weapons and surrender. I'm not counting on that, though."

"Oi, quit fucking around!" Sally barked, "We need to move!"

"Keep your shirt on, Sal," Beth snapped, "We're ready when you girls are."

The thunderous roar of their bikes filled the air and cut through the still silence. They filed out of the alleyway and into the city streets. Their guns at the ready, they quickly set off to begin their assault. Already, Goth's patrols were mobilizing and beginning to line the streets. They passed by a patrol car, and Sally let out a maniacal laugh as she aimed her sawed off shotgun at the tires. The first shot of many to come blew out the back tire of one of Goth's mobile patrollers. The driver swerved and tried to ram into one of them, but between Sam, Sally, and Beth, they weren't able to connect. Their car crashed into a parked truck on one of the sidewalks, and the passenger got out and opened fire. Her bullets whizzed past the three of them as they zoomed through the city streets.

Sam took one hand off of her handlebars and reached into her saddlebag. She pulled out a couple of grenades that she and Sally had concocted and handed them to Alexis. "Throw these when we get near the crowds!" she yelled over her engine, "I got more in the bag, but those will break up any resistance we meet on the way!"

"Neat!" Alexis replied, pulling the pin on one.

"Not here, you daft bitch!" Sam screamed, "Get rid of that fucking thing!"

"Calm down," Alexis said, looking off in the direction of another squad car, "Watch this!"

She hurled the grenade at the approaching car and shattered the window. Sam watched out of the corner of her eye as a sickly green gas flooded the car before catching fire. A noxious mixture of burning flesh and putrid filth filled the air as the car crashed once again. "Save them, you fucking twat!" Sam snapped, "Grab a gun for the cars!"

"You didn't tell me you had guns!" Alexis snapped back.

"Of course I have guns, you loony bird!" Sam yelled, "Unlike a lot of you, Sal and I don't have fucking powers! Other bag, there's an SMG in it!"

Alexis rolled her eyes, pocketed the grenade, and dug out a small machine gun. She grinned as she looked it over and readied herself for some mayhem, "You guys have some great toys!"

"Don't point that at my head, you moron!" Sam snapped, "Fucking hell, why did I get stuck with the nut job?"

"Awe, I love you too," Alexis laughed.

While Sam and Alexis argued, Sally and Kait rode behind Beth and Havoc. The klaxons around the city began to howl as their trail of carnage steadily began to build. Kait refused the gun, but she kept her sword at the ready. They rounded a corner and were met with a small mob of Goth's foot soldiers. Artillery in hand, they lined up behind cover and in the streets before opening fire. The three of them kept their charge while weaving to avoid the gunfire. Alexis opened fire with her SMG while cackling. Her shots were wild and blind, but the spray of bullets forced several to break from their steady stream of gunfire. A handful of them dropped to the ground filled with lead.

"Now, you dumb bitch!" Sam yelled, "Throw a fucking grenade!"

"Huh?" Alexis asked before face palming and grabbing a grenade, "Oh yeah, good point!"

Alexis lobbed another grenade into the fray, and it bounced before the toxic cloud of gas spilled out. The people around it coughed, gagged, and retched before they began screaming as the gas caught fire. The three riders cut through their ranks amidst the chaos. Kait sliced anyone who was close to her and Sally flew by. Havoc never once tried to attack anyone, but she kept herself close to Beth. Stray bullets ripped through her suit, but she remained otherwise unphased by them. She reached out and grabbed one of the soldiers with her massive hands as they passed. She held the young woman out as they flew through the smoke; dragging her along the asphalt the entire way. Her screams were muffled by Havoc's colossal palm covering her face.

"Get ready to diverge," Zoey's voice came over their ear pieces, "Your next left, you'll hit the intersection we discussed. Stick to the plan, stay on your assigned route, and remember our objective. Disorient, confuse, and rendezvous at the manor. For the love of God, if you see Goth, run. Do not engage unless you have backup or no other options."

"Copy that," everyone replied as they rounded the corner.

Beth wasn't a fan of splitting up, but it made sense given the sheer number of Goth's forces. If they could divide their focus, then their chances of success doubled. They rounded the corner, and Sam and Sally spotted the alleyways they were supposed to take. Beth was meant to continue the frontal assault. The idea was simple: use Goth's hatred for her to draw attention. Her reputation had spread among her followers, and they were counting on her being a high priority target. It was risky, but she didn't care. All she had to do was occupy them long enough for Jake and Pam to return.

Sally and Sam split off with their passengers down the alleyway. There was already another mob of soldiers forming a blockade. They'd used several cars to block off the road, and many of the men and women were armed with guns. "Stay mobile and wait for my signal," Havoc said, preparing to leap off the bike.

"What are you doing?" Beth asked, but Havoc was already gone.

She let out a disgruntled sigh as she swerved around the street while their enemies opened fire. She pulled out a machine pistol from a holster on her thigh, and took a sharp right turn while spraying bullets. She saw Havoc charging towards the men and women, but she couldn't keep a close eye on her. Part of her wished she'd have just been able to stick to the rooftops, but this was war and that simply wasn't an option. She had a part to play just like everyone else in their brigade. She let off the trigger of her gun as she swung the tail end of her bike back around. She weaved around the street, narily avoiding the hail of bullets. She could hear faint screaming behind her as she prepared to make a second round.

Havoc had hit the ground running. She charged forward with blinding speed towards Goth's followers. Bullets dug into her flesh, but the chemicals had mutated her enough that they barely stunned her. Her hand shot out and grabbed one of the men. He yelled in shock as she pulled him close to her. His cries were cut short as he was filled full of holes. Bullets may not have had much effect on her, but enough of them could still kill her. She used his body as a shield as she got closer, and once she was within range, she hurled his body into a crowd of five armed soldiers. They were bowled over by their fallen comrade, and Havoc leapt into the air before crashing down onto one of them with a sickening stomp.

She was like a caged animal finally set free. She let out a war cry that shook many of Goth's warriors as she charged towards the line of cars. She slammed her shoulder into a young woman, snatched a man's ankle, and proceeded to use him as a human weapon against his allies. It wasn't long before she had everyone focusing on her. She barreled through what was left of the resistance with ease. Those that remained switched their focus to her and charged at her. They leapt onto her in droves in hopes of forcing her to the ground. Beth was about to focus her fire on Havoc's position when a deafening roar erupted from the behemoth. A sickening plume of smog rose up around her, and Beth grimaced as she realized her companion hadnt screamed, she'd released one of her toxic gas bombs.

Havoc rose up out of the mound of gagging soldiers, slung several of them off of her, and continued her charge towards the barricade of cars. Beth marveled at her former enemy. She was truly a monster, but she was glad that for once she could count her as an ally. Beth unloaded the last of her clip to cover Havoc as she slammed into one of the cars. The frame of the car bent, but Havoc quickly dug her fingers into the sides of it. With a mighty heave, she lifted the car up and into the air before launching it at one of the buildings. It crashed through the side of an apartment complex, and she grabbed hold of the next car. She growled as she lifted it into the air and proceeded to use it to smash the soldiers that hadn't abandoned their post. They were reduced to bloody and battered pulps before she threw the car into a bank across the street.

Beth rode forward, her path now clear, and waited for Havoc to get back on. "I'm guessing that was the signal?" she asked.

"Was it too subtle for you?" Havoc asked, settling onto the seat.

"Not at all," Beth said as she revved up her engine and took off.

----------------

Sam sped through the alleyways with pinpoint precision. She wasn't the brightest in her old gang, or the resistance, but she was a talented driver. The most difficult part was staying focused while her passenger rocked back and forth with anticipation. "Stay still, you dumbass!" Sam snapped.

"I'm getting bored!" Alexis yelled, "When do we get to kill something?"

"Hold your damn horses!" Sam yelled, "We're getting close to the end, and I'd he surprised if they weren't waiting to ambush us. With any luck, we'll get the jump on them!"

"Did you say jump?!" Alexis asked, standing up on the back of the bike.

"No!" Sam yelled, "Sit down, you overzealous basket case!"

"Samantha, try to play nice with your squad mate," Zoey's voice came over the comms.

"Haha, you got in trouble!" Alexis mocked.

"Fuck you!" Sam snapped.

"What was that?" Zoey asked.

"N-not you!" Sam yelled, "I was talking to Alexis!"

"Whipped~!" Alexis mocked.

"Perhaps you need a bit of discipline, Alexis," Zoey said, "A night in my dungeon may have you rethinking making such rude remarks."

"Is that an offer?" Alexis asked.

"Hey!" Sam yelled, "Don't hit on her! I thought I was your pet?!"

"Can you three keep this fucking channel focused on the operation?!" Jason's voice cut in, "In case you haven't noticed, there's a war going on!"

"Dude, you need to get laid," Alexis said.

"Right, sorry, Jason," Zoey said, "Alright, from what I can see, there's a battalion of Goth's troops moving to intercept Beth and Havoc. You two should be able to catch them before then. By my calculations, you two should come out behind them."

"So, catch them with their pants down and fuck 'em up!" Alexis cheered.

"In a manner of speaking, yes," Zoey said, "Hit them before they can converge on Beth and Havoc. Sally and Kait have similar orders. There is still a large force surrounding the manor, but taking these forces out means Goth won't have the choke point she's hoping for. Jason, do you have eyes on the manor yet?"

"Closing in as we speak," Jason replied.

"Sam?" Zoey said, "Please be careful. Come back to me alive, yeah?"

"You got it," Sam said before glancing back at Alexis, "Hey, batshit, you ready for some mayhem?"

"Thought you'd never ask!" Alexis cheered.

They zipped through the darkness and headed towards the streets. It wasn't long before they saw the street lamps. True to her word, they came out just as the last of a formation of twenty marched through the street. Sam peeled out and swung her bike around so it was facing towards the crowd. "Still got those grenades?" Sam asked, reaching down to grab an automatic.

"You know it, Sammie," Alexis beamed, setting her SMG down, "Still half a clip in that, but try not to shoot me. Let's say hello to the locals, shall we?"

Many of them had stopped their marching to turn around. They stared at Sam and Alexis for a moment before they drew their weapons. Spears, guns, swords, and other pieces of death dealing equipment flashed in the glow of the street lamps. Sam revved her Bike as Alexis dismounted and sauntered towards the crowd. A woman stepped out of the crowd with a sword raised in the air, "Kill the heretics!" she screamed as the other rallied behind her.

Alexis broke into a sprint towards the mob, zigging and zagging to avoid the gunfire. She kept her head down as she got closer. She jumped once she was a few feet from the first line. A young man wearing thin leather gear and a small skullcap tried to shoot her, but he couldn't line up his shots. The sole of her converse landed on the top of his head, and she kicked off to leap to another soldier. She bounced from shoulder to shoulder, kicking and stomping whenever she could, as she drew closer to their center. All the while, Sam returned fire with her rifle. The front lines were quickly cut down by Sam's precision shooting.

Alexis was nearly to the center when a woman grabbed her ankle as she passed overhead. She felt her give it a tug towards the ground, but she twisted as she fell to slam her other foot against the woman's head. She knocked her away, but she was surrounded by Goth's soldiers. With a wicked smile, she readied herself for a fun fight. She stepped back as a man swung his sword at her. A woman behind her attempted to stab her with the tip of her spear, but she flipped over it and kicked her feet into the face of a man with a rifle. She felt good as she worked. It was a like a dance that she'd been dying to try as she bobbed and weaved around their attacks.

She had grabbed two grenades in both hands, and she proceeded to use them as weapons to give her punches an extra boost. Her dexterous fingers played with the pins while she fought off the horde that surrounded her. She spun out of the way of a horizontal slash of a sword. The blade cut into one of the other warriors, and she leaned back with a foot outstretched and her arms reaching backward. Her fists slammed into the chest of a woman and her foot into the stomach of a young man. She backflipped over one another, her thumb pulling the pin of one of the grenades as she did so. With great force, she slammed it down onto a woman's head. She fell to her knees as Alexis jumped six feet into the air and resumed her sprint along their shoulders.

The gas poured out of the grenade before it sparked and erupted in a torrent of fire. Their screams were like music to her ears. God, she'd missed this! With one hand free, she let herself drop down and wrapped her arm around the neck of a young man. She drug him to the ground, and rammed the other grenade into his mouth as they crashed onto the asphalt. She had a about ten seconds to get away, but she was surrounded on all sides. She let out a thoughtful hum as she realized she hadn't quite thought her move through. She fought off as many as she could, but they were too many and too close for her to get away. The smoke began to pour out once again, and she was trapped only a few feet from the explosion. The inferno exploded, and she was lost in the fires of her own chaos.

Sam had barely seen what happened after the first explosion. Her eyes went wide as the fires died down. She walked her bike forward through the burning remains of the battalion in search of her teammate. "Alexis!" she screamed, "Damnit, you crazy bitch! Where are you?!"

"Sam, report!" Jason's voice came over the comms, "What's going on down there?"

"Alexis…" she started, trailing off, "She's...I think she's gone. Fuck, that sociopath blew herself up!"

"What?!" Beth's voice came over, "Goddamnit, that idiot! Zoey, are there any signs of her?!"

"Negative," Zoey's somber voice replied, "I can see Sam, barely, but I don't see any other movement. The visibility is low from the explosion, but I should still be able to see her."

"Fuck!" Jason yelled, "Goddamnit, we shouldn't have lost anybody this soon! Sam...I know it's hard, but we have to press on. The best thing we can do is to make sure she didn't die in vain. We win this, and her death means something. We'll mourn that little pain in the ass later, but right now we have a war to win."

"Copy that," Sam replied quietly, "We'll win this for her. Damnit, she was annoying as fuck, but she didn't deserve to die."

"Sam," Beth's voice came over the comms, "Get to the rendezvous point, and take out as many of these sons of bitches as you can along the way. It's time to remind them why fucking with us is a mistake."

"On my way," Sam said, taking a last look at the carnage before speeding off.

-----------------

Jason sighed as the comms went silent again. It was hard to believe that the legendary Footgirl had been deposed once again. Alexis was annoying, sure, but he believed there was some good in her. This was twice she'd given her life in a battle against Rebecca. Casualties were to he expected, but not this soon in their assault. He pushed the thought from his mind as he paused to concentrate on his job. While the others were creating a distraction, he was set to dispose of any snipers along the rooftops. He'd already taken care of six without being spotted, and he had another in his sights. He aimed down the scope of his rifle and prepared to take his shot.

"Found you," a woman's voice said behind him.

He lowered his gun and turned just in time to avoid an axe that was coming for his neck. "Who the fuck are you?" he asked as she stepped back and twirled a golden handaxe.

She was a large woman standing an impressive six foot five by the look of her. She wore a black and purple breastplate with a gold belt with loops hanging off of it. Her hair was jet black and she wore tight fitting pants that were tucked into black boots. She glared at him as she replied, "I will be the next hand of the Goddess, you sniveling worm. My name is Katrina, and I will bring your head to my Goddess! You and your little gang have been causing quite the ruckus, but I'm here to put an end to that!"

She stepped forward and swung her axe, but Jason ducked under it with ease. She spun her arm and sliced downward, but again he managed to avoid it. "Gang?" he asked, blocking her next strike with his rifle, "We're fighting for the freedom of this city! Just because you're too stupid and weak to take a stand, doesn't mean we are!"

"I'll show you weakness, boy!" Katrina roared as she kicked him in the chest, "I'll put your head on a spike, and parade it through the streets so your team can see what a failure their leader is!"

"Yeah, I wouldn't recommend that," he said, recovering and rolling away from her, "My team is composed of a handful of women with anger issues. One of those women in particular is prone to pretty violent fits of rage. Of course, you're gonna have to actually hit me with that thing first."

"Annoying little shit, aren't you?!" Katrina screamed as she stepped forward to swing again and missed.

"Big and slow, aren't you?" he mocked.

She growled as she picked up her pace and started swinging faster. Jason blocked another overhead swing with his rifle, holding it so the edge of the blade caught the bottom of the blade. He pushed up, but Katrina had already pulled back and swapped hands. He had to jump back to avoid a surprise upward swing. She swapped hands again, and swung diagonally at him. She was pushing him back to the edge of the rooftop. He sidestepped out of the way of one of her swipes, but she caught him with the side of her leg to his stomach. He grunted as he was pushed back to the edge once again. He snarled behind his bandages as he blocked another swing, and he quickly popped the butt of his rifle up to hit her in the jaw. She stumbled back, but he had to follow to keep his distance from the ledge.

"Sniveling little man thing!" Katrina shrieked, stepping back and raising her axe skyward, "The Goddess has entrusted me with powers well beyond what your little mind can comprehend! Let me show you what it means to be one of the chosen!"

Jason was about to respond when a bolt of violet lightning crashed down onto Katrina. The flash was blinding at first, but he opened his eyes to watch as her body began to change. Her size didn't change, but electricity arced from her body and the axe. Her hair stood up and her eyes began to glow red. There was a cold chill that radiated from her body, and before he could react, she was on him with his throat in her hand. He could feel raw magical energy coursing through her and down his throat. She brought him close to her face and opened her mouth. Sparks flew from her tongue as she roared before tossing him behind her. Her body hadn't changed, but her speed had tripled! He barely had time to spread his legs as her axe slammed down into the concrete of the rooftop.

"What fresh hell is this?!" he exclaimed as he tried to kick her away.

She caught his boot and threw him over her head. He crashed into the rooftop and tried to recover. Her boot pressed onto his back and forced him back down. "This is the power of a God, you pathetic mortal!" Katrina exclaimed, her voice distorted, "I'll make you beg me for death before I'm through with you!"

She removed her boot only to kick him in the ribs and send him rolling away. His rifle clattered on the ground as it flew from his hands. He pushed himself up and began to undo the bandages on his hands, "Alright, you self-righteous psycho," he growled, "You want to play? Let's play!"

"Let's see how long that bravado lasts, boy," Katrina laughed as she charged towards him.

There was one thing that Jason had kept secret from everyone. When he'd been brought back, his body had been altered by the energies of the machine. He couldn't cast spells like Pam or Rebecca, but without his bandages and careful concentration, his body radiated its own energy field. Kait was the only person he'd told about it, and that had only been because she'd gotten sick during one of their sessions. If they survived, he had swore to bring it up to Pam to see if she could possibly help. All he had to do was outlast the murderous woman before him, and eventually she'd succumb to his biochemistry, at least he hoped she would. If nothing else, he hoped it would weaken her enough for him to finish her off.

He stepped out of the way of one of her swings, and quickly dropped down to avoid the follow-up attack. She was fast and deadly, but he'd noticed a pattern in her attacks. If he was right, then he would be able to hold her off easily enough. He spun out of the way of another kick aimed at his ribs, but he hadn't expected her to launch a second one at his opposing side. It connected and he felt another jolt of electricity shoot through him. He leaned back just as the blade of her axe swung past his face. She tried to bring it back up, but he stopped her with a stomp to her wrist. It did nothing to disarm her, but it broke her momentum enough for him to uppercut her in the jaw. She stumbled back and he rushed in to tackle her.

They hit the ground and he immediately started pounding her face. It was like hitting a wall, but he refused to give in. Direct contact with his skin meant the radiation would seep in faster. He managed to get four good shots in before she bucked up with her knees and sent him flying off of her. He tried to right himself in the air, but he felt her elbow slam into his back before he could. He hit the ground with a thud and a groan. It wasn't just her speed, her strength had doubled as well. She kicked him once again and he rolled closer to the ledge. She stepped forward and taunted him, "I thought you wanted to play, boy! Don't tell me this is all you have!"

"Go to hell," he spat, wincing as he tried to push himself up.

Her boot slammed into his back again as she continued to mock him, "This is where you belong, you disgusting freak. The Goddess told me about you, about how you were given to her dearly departed friend. That woman did the world a favor by killing you, but still you return for more. I'll rid this world of your disgraceful and disgusting face once and for all!"

She prepared to stomp his head, but she stumbled back at the last minute. He grinned and chuckled as he quickly reached into his coat, "What's wrong? Feeling sluggish?"

"What trickery is this?!" Katrina demanded.

He drew his pistol and fired it at her head. The bullet pierced her skull and the glow faded from her body and eyes. Her body turned to dust as she fell backward, "Bang," he said as he got to his feet and pressed his finger to his earpiece, "We've got a situation. Goth has found some way of imbuing her followers with her magic."

"What?!" Beth's voice came over the comms.

"Don't ask me how, but I just got caught in a battle with one of them," he replied, walking over to grab his rifle, "They're still human, but they pack a hell of a punch. Watch yourselves out there."

"Jay, are you okay?" Kait's voice came over, her concern disguised behind her commanding tone


"I'm fine, Kait," he answered, "Moving back into position now. Stick to the plan, just watch your backs."

He shouldered his rifle and took aim at the sniper a few blocks away. He lined him up in his crosshairs and took his shot. Another one down, and another threat seemingly on the rise. By the looks of it, this night was going to be full of surprises. He grabbed an old grappling gun he'd taken from Brunswick Inc. and prepared to move out. He flew off into the night towards his next target. He still had a ways to go, and he hoped that the others would reach their destination.

------------------------------

Sally and Kait had been bringing up the rear of their three-way assault. Sally had noticed Kait's slight spike in anxiety when Jason had come over the comms, but she chose not to call attention to it. There wasn't any point in stirring the pot with her. Kait wasn't known for being an emotional type, and she certainly wasn't one for sharing intimate details. They'd been able to take out the small resistances they'd encountered with relative ease thus far, but she had a bad feeling their luck was about to run out. The idea of super powered cultists didn't sit well with her. She was too far in to turn back now, and while she'd never admit it aloud, she wouldn't abandon her niece.

She'd almost forgotten what a real family meant from her time with Fifth Street. After the events in Citiville, though, she'd been reminded of what she'd given up. The girls had been like a family, but Beth was the one piece of her sister she had left. Now, fighting for something other than herself, she felt a sense of belonging she hadn't felt in years. She missed some of the girls from the gang, but they'd chosen to side with Goth. Sam and her were all that was left of a fleeting memory. A footnote in a city of criminals. Two women who barely scraped by in the wake of true evil. Her love of mayhem was finally being put to a use other than selfishness, and there was something almost poetic about that.

"Soldiers, twelve o'clock," Kait said, pointing her sword in the direction of a group of six women rushing towards the direction of the manor.

"I see 'em," Sally said, "How do you want to-hey! Where the hell are you going?!"

Kait had gotten off of the bike while Sally was talking. She marched towards the women, paying her comrade little mind as she did so. "Going somewhere?" she called out as she drew nearer.

"The heretics!" one of the women exclaimed as she drew her own short sword.

Sally was about to draw her gun when Kait lunged forward and drove her blade into the woman's throat. The one closest to her tried to stab her with another sword, but Kait raised her shield and deflected the blade. She ripped her sword from her first victim's throat, bashed her assailant with her shield, and spun around with her blade held out. The women scattered in response, but this gave Kait the room she needed to attack. She advanced on the woman closest to her, and swung her sword downward at her neck and chest. The woman barely managed to avoid the slash. She raised her spear and attempted to thrust it at Kait, but she knocked it away with her sword. A quick return thrust to her chest and the woman froze.

One of the women raised an automatic rifle and fired it at Kait in hopes of catching her by surprise. She heard the slide of the rifle and raised her shield. The bullets richocheted off of it and hit two of the others in the legs. A few flew towards Sally, and are ducked just as the whizzed past her head. "Watch it!" she yelled out as the woman's clip was emptied.

Kait spun around and hurled her shield at the woman's chest. The edge of it dug into her flesh and knocked her back. Without a word, Kait walked towards her to retrieve her shield and finish her off. A lone gunshot from Sally's fourth-five pistol rang out, and Kait glanced behind her just in time to watch the last standing member fall to the ground. Another young woman had drawn her pistol and was about to shoot her, but Kait turned and threw her sword at her. The tip plunged into her chest and her gun clattered to the ground. She knelt down in front of the one she'd took down with her shield. She glared at her as she took it in both hands and raised it into the air. She brought the edge down on her face and smashed it in. She repeated the motion again and again until the poor girl's face virtually nonexistent.

Sally rode up closer and fired a second shot to eliminate the last living member of the small squad. She didn't say a word as Kait continued bashing in the skull of her unfortunate victim. Finally, when Kait stopped and stood to retrieve her sword she asked, "Feel better?"

Kait ripped her sword out of the chest of the woman and flicked the blood off of it. She refastened the shield to her arm as she replied, "Much, thank you."

"I know I'm gonna regret this, but you can talk to me if you need to," Sally said as Kait got on the back of the bike.

"Nothing to talk about," Kait replied, "We've got more to do, and talking is only going to waste valuable time. You heard Jason, we need to keep moving."

"Fair point," Sally said, revving up her bike, "Let's catch up with the others then."

The two of them rode off through the streets cutting down the stragglers of Goth's growing army. Something didn't sit right with Kait, though. They'd encountered far too little resistance from the city's inhabitants. Their methods may have been brutal, but she doubted that they'd scare so quickly. No, something was going on behind the scenes that they didn't know about. They'd only encountered a handful of patrol cars, and even that had only been in the beginning. There was a silence in the city that didn't fit the storm that was brewing. If she'd learned anything in her life, it was that a calm before a battle usually made for a raging storm.

"Guys, I think we might have a problem," Zoey's voice came over the comms again, "I'm getting interference on the CCTV cams near Blackridge Manor. Looking past it, there seems to be several large armored trucks, vans, and EMS vehicles all heading in that direction. Thing is, they're going out of their way to avoid you three."

"So what?" Beth's voice asked, "You think they're planning something?"

"That's what it's looking like, but I don't know how they could have anticipated our plan," Zoey replied.

"The snipers I've been taking out haven't been well armed, well trained, or anything either," Jason's voice cut in, "These men and women seem more like scouts, and the last one I took out had a collar on. They're using their slaves to watch us."

"So we're heading into a trap," Sam said, "That's fucking peachy. Did I tell any of you that I hate fucking magic?"

"But there's no way she could have known what we were planning unless…" Beth trailed off, "Goddamnit!"

"Unless Ashley was right," Jason finished with a sigh, "Fuck, Goth knows we're coming. This night is going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better."

"Too late to turn back now," Sally sighed, "It's gonna take a damn miracle for us to pull this shit off."

"Our objective remains unchanged," Jason said, "We don't have to win, we just have to hold them back long enough for Jake and Pam to come through."

"We're going up against an army," Sally argued, "It's gonna take more than a bird and Beth's girlfriend to turn the tide."

"They'll come through," Beth said, "I know they will."

"Alright everyone," Jason said, "Continue to the objective. If they're expecting us to fall for their trap, then let's play into it for now. "

"I'm sorry, but isn't that kind of, you know, stupid?" Sam asked.

"Let them think they have the upper hand," Jason explained, "If they suspect that we know anything, then they can redirect their efforts. This way, we have a better chance of exploiting their overconfidence."

"It's a shit plan, but he's right," Beth sighed, "We need to use every potential advantage we have. If there is one weakness Goth has, it'll be her overinflated ego."

Sally shook her head as she rounded another corner, "Not like we have much of a choice now anyway."
© Copyright 2022 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032278-Chapter-10