*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032285-Chapter-17
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #2272852
Jake, Beth, and Pam have to band together with old foes to stop the monster they unleashed
#1032285 added May 12, 2022 at 5:14am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 17
Kait rushed back through the main hall of Blackridge Manor, past the bodies of the fallen, through the dining room, and back into the kitchen. Alexis was hot on her heels beside her as they tried to avoid debris and keep their footing. "Why is she trying to bring the whole house down?!" Alexis asked, diving under a support beam, "Is she really that desperate?!"

"Have you met the woman?!" Kait countered, throwing a piece of rubble out of their way, "She isn't the type to take losing well, or has your dumbass forgotten that?! I guess birdbrain must have gotten close to finishing her, or she's dying and wants to take us with her!"

The tremors were growing in intensity, and it was frightening how quickly the place was falling apart. Alexis slid under a pillar that had collapsed to block their way, and she tried to push it up for Kait. Kait grabbed the other end, and the two women successfully managed to move it. "I just want you to know that I have really enjoyed our time together!" Alexis yelled, "Out of all the psychos in this city, you and Havoc were always my favorites, even if you could be temperamental!"

"We're not dying here, you dunce!" Kait yelled, "We're getting these women, and we're getting out of here in one piece. And what the hell do you mean temperamental?!"

"Well, that for one," Alexis said, "You're always so high strung."

"Oh, fuck you," Kait spat, "Just shut up, and come on!"

Adelaide and Miriam were still laying on the ground where they'd left them. Kait and Alexis entered the kitchen area just as the gas on the stove started to erupt in flames. The manor shook once more, and part of the ceiling collapsed above the two women. Kait cursed as she charged forward to save Adelaide. Alexis passed her, and dove into a slide that pushed Miriam out of the way. Adelaide opened her eyes just as a piece of the ceiling rocketed towards her. She closed her eyes and prepared to be crushed, but to her surprise, the weight never hit her. She cracked one eye and looked up. Kait stood over her holding the fallen piece. The Amazonian warrior woman growled as she threw it off to the side. To add to Adelaide's shock, Kait held out a hand to help her up. Scared and confused, she took the hand and let herself be hoisted up.

"What is going on?!" Adelaide demanded.

"Your master is throwing a temper tantrum," Kait replied, "She's bringing down the house, your sisters have either died or killed themselves, and anyone left is about to be buried under a bunch of fancy rubble. Unless you want to die, I suggest you follow me and crazy over there."

Adelaide looked over at Alexis who was busy slapping Miriam in the face. She looked back at Kait and asked, "Why are you helping us?"

"Look, kid, we don't have a lot of time," Kait said as another tremor shook the manor, "I'm helping you, but Alexis has other plans for your bitchy little friend. Do you want to live or not?"

"O-okay, fine," Adelaide said, "Will you tell me why once we're out of here?"

"Sure, but let's focus on staying alive until then," Kait replied before yelling at Alexis, "Hey, batshit, just grab her and let's go! I'm not dragging your dumbass back!"

"Ugh, fine!" Alexis exclaimed, pouting, "I'd carry you, I mean, I would if you were so stupidly heavy!"

"Piss off!" Kait yelled back at her as she guided Adelaide back towards the main hall, "It's not my fault you don't work your core enough!"

"That's not true!" Alexis argued as she slung Miriam's unconscious body over her shoulders, "It's that dumb armor you wear!"

"It's protective and it's additional strength training!" Kait snapped as she ran, "Some of us prefer to keep a constant regiment!"

"It's gaudy and tacky!" Alexis yelled as she ran behind Kait, "They make Kevlar body armor, but no, you've got to look like a Roman douchebag!"

"It's part of the aesthetic!" Kait snapped, "Why are we arguing about this?!"

"I don't know, because we can?" Alexis countered, "Would you rather focus on the fact that we could be squished any second?"

"I'd rather focus on staying alive!" Kait yelled back, "Just shut up and run!"

"Okie-dokie!" Alexis giggled.

"Is she always like this?!" Adelaide asked, trying to keep up with Kait.

"Worse, usually," Kait sighed, "This is her on a good day. I almost feel sorry for your friend, but none of us are going to stand against that whack job."

"What about me?" Adelaide asked as they rounded the corner into the main hall, "Are you planning on keeping me as a trophy?"

"I plan on keeping my word," Kait said, glancing around for the study, "Fuck, why do rich assholes have to have so many rooms?! Alexis, where are we headed?!"

"This way~," Alexis exclaimed in a sing-song tone of voice as she practically skipped ahead.

"Your life belongs to me now," Kait continued, following after her unnervingly giddy ally, "Lucky for you, I've had a recent change of heart. I'm not going to go easy on you, but I'm going to remake you into a woman of honor, a warrior. That is assuming that your current master doesn't butcher us all before the sun comes up."

"You want to train me?" Adelaide asked, "Why? I tried to kill you and your friends."

"I know, I was there," Kait sighed, "You chose to follow a lunatic, but you managed to learn some shit that most people can only dream of. That tells me two things. One, you are desperate to find somewhere you belong, and two, you have a stronger will than most."

Alexis stumbled as another tremor shook the foundation, but the four of them had arrived at the study. Kait ran to the grandfather clock, and opened the glass to adjust the hands. Adelaide tentatively stepped closer to her, "So, because you spared and saved me, I'm an indentured servant," she said.

"I could have killed you, and I could have left you to die," Kait replied as she pulled the center piece down, "So, yeah, that's pretty much it. Would you rather take your chances here, or maybe you'd like to get better acquainted with Alexis' feet?"

"Just making sure I understand," Adelaide sighed as part of the wall opened up to reveal a large stairwell, "I don't see much of a choice other than to go along with it."

"Now you're getting it," Kait said, "Come on, we need to get down to Birdboy's little hideout."

"I'm so excited!" Alexis exclaimed, "God, I spent hours looking for this place!"

They ran down the stairs and into the darkness. The wall closed behind them, but the tremors continued as they sprinted down the stairs two at a time. "Look, girlie," Kait said as they ran, "I'm not gonna lie to you, your training is going to be brutal. That said, when I'm done, you'll be better than you ever could have imagined. You thought serving Goth came with a purpose, but I'm going to teach you to carve out your own path in life."

"I'm not much of a fighter," Adelaide admitted, trying to keep up with Kait, "Are you sure you want to train someone like me from the ground up?"

"You're not getting out of this," Kait said, "I can make a warrior out of you yet, rest assured."

"I'm not trying to get out of it," Adelaide said, "I just meant that I don't know how good I'll be. I served the Go-uhm, Goth, so I know how servitude works. I also know what conscription entails, and that's basically what you're doing."

"Smart girl," Kait grinned, "Muscles can be trained, reflexes can be honed, but a sharp mind is something that's a gift. I promise you, as long as you put forth the effort, I can make you into something stronger than you are now."

"Goddamnit, we don't have time for this shit!" Sally's voice echoed off the walls of the cavern they were entering, "Look, coattails, I don't give a fuck about paperwork, and I don't see why you're harassing us about it! There is a sociopath upstairs about to blow the whole fucking place to kingdom come!"

"What's going on down there?" Adelaide asked.

"No idea, but it sounds like Sal is pissed at someone," Kait replied before yelling, "Whatever is going on down there, stow it and get ready to move!"

"It's fine, just get down here!" Beth yelled back.

"I am so sick of surprises," Kait sighed as she and the others finally arrived at the base of the stairwell, "Holy shit, this place is huge!"

Neither Kait nor Alexis had ever seen the fabled Bird Cage. They'd known about it, but seeing it was something else entirely. The ceiling was somewhere above them encased in darkness, and large fluorescent lights lined the walls. It was a maze of caverns, and the sound of water rushing below them could be heard echoing along the walls. There were holding cells that sat empty, display cases with old equipment and confiscated evidence within them, various bikes and cars sitting off in the distance, and a massive computer could be seen illuminating where Beth and the others stood. An older man in a tuxedo stood with poise in front of a fuming Sally. Jason stood off to the side with a hand pressed against his head.

Kait, Alexis, and Adelaide approached the gathering. Alexis spoke first, "What's up with Jeeves here? I thought that you said Goth didn't have anyone down here, Kitty-Cat."

"Madame, I am most certainly not in the employ of that woman," the man said, turning to study both Alexis, Kait, Adelaide, and the unconscious Miriam, "I am young master Blackridge's attendant, and I have been maintaining the Cage in his absence. When Ms. Rebecca stormed in to take this home for herself, I enacted the anti-magic defenses that master Blackridge installed. Ms. Thompson, I am assuming these are more friends of yours."

"You could say that," Beth said, scratching the back of her neck, "Uhm, Alexis, this is Bruce. He's Jake's butler and legal guardian."

"I have been tending to master Blackridge since the death of his parents," Bruce said, "After his disappearance in Citiville, I took it upon myself to-"

"What part of this place is about to blow are you not getting?!" Sally snapped, "I don't give a damn what you've been doing, none of us do! We need to get out of here!"

"Is that my sword?" Kait asked, noticing a familiar blade in a glass case, "Son of a bitch, that is! That little bird fucker did confiscate it!"

"Ms. Kaitlyn, I would ask you to refrain from touching any of the evidence," Bruce said, stepping in front of Kait, "There is a reason that master Blackridge has kept these items here."

"Get bent, you stuffed shirt," Kait scoffed, moving to step around him, "I designed that blade myself, and it took me over a year to work the metal. I'm taking my blade back."

Bruce held up a hand to stop her and warned, "I'm afraid I cannot allow you to take that."

"Look, stringbean, I'm not afraid to knock an old man around," Kait said, moving to shove him away before gasping in surprise when Bruce grabbed her wrist, spun around her, and kicked the back of her knee, "Gah, what the fuck?! Let go of me, you asshole!"

"As I said," Bruce began, twisting her arm and causing her to wince in pain, "I cannot allow these items to he disturbed. I wasn't always a butler, Madame, and if you'd like to learn what I did before, I'd be more than happy to educate you."

"Bruce, let her go!" Beth yelled, "Look, times have changed since Jake disappeared, and these people aren't our enemies anymore. Let her go, Bruce. We're gonna need every advantage we can get against Goth."

Bruce stared at Beth for a moment before releasing Kait's arm. Kait got to her feet and glared at him, "Spry for a geezer, aren't you? Fuck, that hurt."

"Who do you think trained Jake?" Beth asked.

"You're kidding me," Sam said, "What the hell did this guy do before becoming a butler?"

"SAS, Madame," Bruce answered, "I was part of the secret service for her majesty the queen. My apologies, Ms. Kaitlyn, but as Ms. Thompson has pointed out, these are strange times. Please, retrieve your armaments."

Kait rubbed her wrist and glared at Bruce as she walked over to the case, "You were S.A.S.? What the fuck are you doing here?"

"Mr. Blackridge and I met overseas," Bruce replied, "He was a good man, and one that helped me out of a bit of a jam. He offered me a job, and I graciously accepted once my business was concluded in England. I was here when young master Blackridge was brought home, and when his father and mother passed, I assumed responsibility for the young boy."

"Touching," Kait said before tossing her current sword to Adelaide, "Take that, little girl. Try not to cut your damn head off with it, stick close to us, and get comfortable with that blade."

"I'm sorry, but are you sure it's wise to bring her along?" Pam interjected, "This is the young woman who previously tried to murder us."

"You were once in her shoes," Kait said, opening the case and grabbing her old sword, "I'd think that you of all people could empathize with her. You know, since you switched sides and started fucking Catgirl."

"Crass as ever, I see," Pam sighed, "I suppose I see your point, though. What exactly do you plan to do with her? She's a pretty little thing, but I didn't realize you had an interest in the fairer sex."

Adelaide blushed as she realized what Pam was implying. "Hey!" Beth snapped, "Do you have to comment on every woman when I'm around?!"

"So sensitive for someone so ruthless," Pam chuckled, "You know my heart is yours, Kitten. I was just curious to know what Kaitlyn intends to do with our little stowaway here."

"I can speak for myself," Adelaide said, stepping forward, "I've been conscripted into her service. If I understand correctly, she intends to train me to become a fighter like her."

"If I get bored, I might have a go at that body of yours," Kait remarked, as she gave her short sword a few swings, "No sense in letting a tight little body like that go to waste. To answer your question, Pam, I go both ways. I've had the pleasure of playing with your little girlfriend a handful of times, but she was never really into it like she is with you. I think that's part of why everyone is surprised that you two are an item."

"Fuck. You," Beth said, raising her middle finger at Kait, "It's different when someone actually treats me with respect."

The cavern shook around them, and Jason had finally heard enough, "If you all are done, we still have a fucking situation to deal with! Bruce, how secure is this place?"

"If Ms. Rebecca is intending to destroy the manner, the Bird Cage should hold strong," Bruce answered, "However, based on the files that master Blackridge gathered and updated, I suspect that the collapse of the manor will not be enough to end her. Miss. Lavely, would you care to weigh in?"

"He's right," Pam sighed, "If Jake had dealt a final blow, then she wouldn't have the strength for this. The fact that the rest of her followers gave their souls to her only furthers this point. She's still clinging to her life, and it will only be a matter of time before she discovers this place."

"Then we go topside," Jason said, "Bruce, we need every weapon this place has at our backs. Jake might still be alive, but if he isn't then we need to be prepared."

"We can take the Bird Mobile and the bikes," Beth offered, "If nothing else, we can use them to get to safety and regroup."

"You want to run?" Kait asked before scoffing, "That's typical of the scaredy cat."

"I'm just saying, we need to have a plan," Beth said defensively, "If shit hits the fan, then we need to be able to make a quick exit."

"We make our stand here and now," Kait argued, "We knew the risks when we came out tonight, and I'm not running away from another fight. Either she dies tonight, or we do."

"Kait, Beth has a point," Jason chimed in, "We are the best hope that the world has against Goth. Even if all of us can't make it, we need to be prepared for a strategic retreat if need be."

"Then you and the others can run," Kait said, "I'll stand my ground. She's taken everything, and I'll be damned if I give her the satisfaction of seeing me run with my tail between my legs."

"What's going on?" Miriam piped up, finally coming back to reality, "Where the hell am I?"

"Ah, my new toy is finally awake!" Alexis squealed, abandoning the conversation to check on Miriam, "Hiya, cutie, did you miss me?"

"Oh God, no," Miriam gasped, looking around and seeing her enemies, "Get the hell away from me!"

"Nu-uh, you're my new plaything!" Alexis giggled, slipping her shoe off and inching it closer to Miriam's face, "Why don't you go ahead and give your new mistress' foot a few licks and kisses? Be a good girl, and maybe I'll reward you once we kill Goth!"

Miriam looked around and spotted Adelaide standing beside Kait, "Addy, don't just stand there! Attack these heretics!"

"She's not with you anymore, Miri," Alexis said, smugly, "She's with us, well Kaity, but still! We're gonna kill your Goddess, and then I am gonna take you to your new home! Oh, I can't wait to break you in!"

"Okay, this is getting weird," Zoey said, shifting uncomfortably, "I've read reports on Footgirl and what she does to people, but I've never seen it up close."

"It's not pleasant," Beth nodded, "Trust me, that girl is going to wish that we'd killed her."

"You can't do this!" Miriam screamed as Alexis moved her foot closer to her face, "I am a servant of the Goddess, and I-mmph!"

"Oh yeah, that's the stuff," Alexis moaned as she slid her toes into Miriam's mouth before yelping and scolding her when Miriam bit down on her toes, "Ow! Bad girl, very, very bad!"

"Keep your wretched feet away from me!" Miriam screamed.

Alexis knelt down and took a fistful of Miriam's hair, "You're going to learn not to make me angry, Miri," she said, her tone shifting to one of quiet rage, "My toys always learn, and you're no different than any of them. I don't like having to hurt my pets, but if you're going to act up, then you have to be punished!"

Alexis slammed Miriam's head to the stone floor, and Beth stepped in, "Alexis! Nevermind the fact that you're forcing her into this, we don't have time for this shit!"

"Stay out of this, Beth!" Alexis snapped before turning back to Miriam, "You're going to be a good girl one day, I just know it. The sooner you realize that when I am happy, you'll be happy, the better off you'll be. Now, why don't you go back to sleep?!"

Alexis stood and stomped down on Miriam's face to knock her out again. "Jesus," Zoey breathed.

Alexis took a deep breath and smiled at everyone, "Sorry about that!" she beamed, "Some people just have to learn the hard way. Now, weren't we getting ready to go to war?"

"I'm not looking so bad now, am I?" Kait asked Adelaide, "Count yourself lucky, Adelaide."

"You're not going to use me like that, are you?" Adelaide asked, frightened by what she'd just seen.

"If I do, I'll start slow," Kait replied.

"What do you mean?" Adelaide asked.

"She means that she'll ease you into things," Pam answered, "I can sense it from her. There's no malicious lust or intent from Kaitlyn. You are in her service until she says otherwise, and that means she is now your mistress."

"S'not always a bad thing," Beth chimed in, "That's how we got together. I'm guessing Kait has a few commitment issues, though, so I wouldn't bank on you two becoming anything romantic."

"Fuck off," Kait said before addressing Adelaide, "We'll see how things go, but we can only do one thing at a time. Right now, we need to focus on killing Goth."

"Oh, oh, oh!" Alexis exclaimed as she smashed one of the glass cases, "I was wondering where these went! I busted into three different precincts looking for these. Awe, I guess Jake wanted something to remember me by."

Everyone looked over as Alexis sifted through the broken glass to retrieve a pair of knee high converse boots. She plopped down and started to unlace her current footwear. "Are you really going for a wardrobe change right now?" Sally asked, looking around for anything she could use.

"These babies are my pride and joy," Alexis replied, "They're designed to heat up my feet, and they've got a built in layer of absorption for my sweat. They give my kicks and added boost, and they look damn good on me while doing so! Hey Sal, grab those grenades in there while I'm doing this, yeah? I jacked some of your gang's old blueprints, modified them, and managed to nearly rob the city blind with those bad boys. The stink cloud they emit has an acidic property to it, and I used them to melt through a few bank vaults. Well, them and a few dumbasses faces."

"Please refrain from smashing anymore of the glass," Bruce huffed, "I can easily unlock the cases for you all. Ms. Samantha, I believe I have something that you and Ms. Zoey can utilize for your upcoming battle. If you'll follow me."

"That sounds great, Bruce," Zoey said, happy to have a distraction from the scene unfolding with Alexis.

"Your appreciation is most refreshing, Ms. Zoey," Bruce smiled, "Ms. Samantha, I regret that I couldn't make your acquaintance sooner. Master Blackridge has always felt guilty for not finding you sooner."

"Oh, uhm, thanks?" Sam said, surprised by Bruce's kindness, "I did alright without him. I wouldn't have met Sally if I hadn't been alone, but it's nice to get to know my family, I guess."

"Indeed," Bruce said, motioning for them to follow, "Perhaps when this is over, you could join us for a nice meal. It would be my pleasure to sit down with you, Miss Zoey, and Ms. Lavely."

"That sounds nice, but aren't we counting our chickens before they hatch?" Sam asked, following behind Bruce, "I mean, we don't even know if we can win this. Plus, even if we do, this place is going to be totally thrashed."

"I've done more with less, Ms. Samantha," Bruce said warmly, "I assure you, we can make something from nothing. Adversity only makes one stronger. After all, your time on the streets has made you into quite the resourceful young woman. It is only when you give up that you lose. As long as you can get back to your feet, you still have a chance at victory."

"That's surprisingly inspiring," Sam chuckled, "Guess that means we can't just lay down then. I just hope Jake is okay."

"Master Blackridge is more capable than many give him credit for," Bruce said, "He is your brother, after all. Come along now, I believe Master Blackridge has some armaments that he confiscated from members of your prior organization. Ms. Sally, if you would care to join us, I believe some of these items may actually belong to you."

"That winged little fucker," Sally grumbled, "I'm coming, Jeeves!"

Sally, Sam, and Zoey trailed behind Bruce as he led them deeper into the cavern. Kait busied herself showing Adelaide some basic techniques with her sword, and Alexis hummed a jolly tune as she tied Miriam up. Jason walked towards the vehicles to inspect them, "You sure we've got enough here for everybody?" he asked Beth.

"I'm sure," Beth replied, "Some of them are older models, but they'll get the job done. Go ahead and pick one out for yourself. I'm sure Jake won't mind too much."

"Assuming he's still alive, you mean," Jason said, "I'll be waiting for you all. Don't take too long, and check your equipment before we head out. Things are only going to get harder from here."

Beth and Pam were left alone by the computer. "So, this is the fabled Bird Cage and last bastion of hope," Pam said, running her hand along the keyboard of the computer, "I'm impressed. Rebecca had tasked me with locating this place, but no amount of scrying ever yielded anything worthwhile. The antimagic paneling is quite clever on Jake's part. I'm guessing it's more salvaged material from Brunswick and her labs."

"I think so," Beth said, walking over and sitting down in the large chair, "There were a lot of things Jake discovered when his company bought that place. Most of it is in a warehouse somewhere downtown, but he had a special team research and develop modified components for personal use."

"The boy never ceases to amaze," Pam said, "What's on your kind, Kitten? You're more troubled than usual."

"It's just," Beth began, wringing her hands together out of anxiety, "What if all this was a mistake? Jake could be dead, and if he's gone, what chance do we have? He had the armies of Hell at his back, some mystical weapon from Lilith, and what do we have?"

"We have what we've had since the beginning: each other," Pam replied, leaning against the large keyboard, "Since the night we fled the castle, it's always been us against her, against the world. We stand together, all of us, and we stare the devil down as one. Even if we fail, we send the message that not everyone will bow before monsters."

"You can be so cheesy sometimes," Beth said, smiling in spite of herself.

"Am I not allowed to be a romantic, or am I defined by my appearance?" Pam asked with a smirk, "I might appear aloof, cold, and impassive, but-"

"But you're not any of those," Beth interjected, reaching out and taking Pam's hand, "I know you better than that. I used to think you were those things, but you're a lot softer than you let on."

"Only towards the people I care about," Pam added, "Those that are dear to me receive special treatment. You and Jake top that list; my lover and my family."

"Do you think Jake survived?" Beth asked.

"He is full of surprise, Kitten," Pam said, giving her hand a light squeeze, "All the stories I'd heard and reports I'd read all indicated that he was special. I often believed they were exaggerated, but knowing him as I do now, I can safely say that he is extraordinary. His resolute determination to bring Rebecca down gave him a will of iron unlike any I've seen before. Whether he fell or not, I can't say. My powers are null thanks to the paneling here, but I do know that he wounded her. She wouldn't resort to destroying the manor unless she were desperate. All we can do is continue on. Regardless of if he is alive or dead, we fight on. I can't believe I'm saying this, but we do it for the sake of those who can't. We fight because it's what he would have done, and because we owe it to him to press on."

"You're starting to sound like us, like a hero," Beth said.

"Perhaps you two have started to rub off on me," Pam mused, "Come now, the tremors are getting stronger. Even if this place holds, we'll be trapped here if we don't hurry."

Beth sighed, nodded, and got to her feet, "Yeah, you're right."

"Kaitlyn, take your new charge and get ready to move," Pam called out, "Alexis, we need to move out. Finish what you're doing with her, and let's prepare for the finale."

"Awe, I was about to doodle on her face," Alexis whined, flashing a permanent marker and sighing, "Fine, I guess it can wait. Let's go, everybody!"

Bruce led Sally, Sam, and Zoey back towards the vehicles. Sam and Sally were wearing grins as though they'd just won the lottery. Sally held a massive machine gun in her hands with the Fifth Street symbol embroidered on it, and Sam carried two high caliber revolvers. Zoey was sporting a rifle on her back and a submachine gun in her hands. "I'm keeping this," Zoey said.

"Go ahead," Sally said, "Not like Amber is gonna need it anymore. That rifle is a quality piece that she picked up from a job a ways back. She lifted it off of some old hunter a couple counties over. I've shot it a few times, and she always kept that lever well oiled and clean. She modified the barrel, so it's got less recoil and better accuracy. Just don't turn that thing on us."

"Bruce, are you going to join us topside?" Sam asked.

"I am afraid not, Madame," Bruce said solemnly, "It is my duty to ensure that in the event of Master Blackridge's untimely death that this cave be destroyed. I have hope that you all will succeed, but a soldier must be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice. Should Ms. Rebecca best you all, I will enact the self-destruct protocol from the main computer."

"You're going to off yourself?!" Sam asked in shock.

"The blast will eradicate the Bird Cage, what's left of the manor, and sink the Blackridge family home," Bruce replied, "Master Blackridge designed it to be activated remotely from his old suit, but the controller was lost after the events in Citiville. It will be a final attempt to stop Ms. Rebecca, but if nothing else, it will prevent her and her followers from gaining access to the technology within."

"The Knightfall protocol," Beth clarified with a somber tone, "I told that idiot to make a backup, but no, he just had to have the one."

"Master Blackridge didn't want to burden anyone else, Ms. Thompson," Bruce said, "I agreed with his decision, and I still do. I've lived a full life, and it will be my honor to lay down my life for the cause you two started."

Another massive quake came and everyone looked around. "We have to go," Pam said, "Mr. Bruce, I'm glad I got to meet you. If we don't see each other again, it has been an absolute pleasure."

"You as well, Ms. Lavely, it is refreshing to meet someone as well-mannered as yourself," Bruce said with a warm smile, "Take care of Ms. Thompson, and I wish you all the best of luck. Unity is the key to a successful operation, but I suspect that you all are already well aware of this. Go now before the tunnels collapse in on themselves."

Beth hesitated for a minute before rushing up to Bruce and throwing her arms around him. The stalwart Englishman was startled, but he returned her embrace with a sincere smile. "Thank you, Bruce," Beth said as she pulled away, "For everything you've done for Jake and I. We'll take Goth down once and for all, and we'll rebuild once she's dead. This, I swear to you."

"Your fire has always burned brightly, Ms. Thompson," Bruce said, "I believe in you. Hurry along now, the tunnels won't hold for much longer."

With a parting glance, Beth headed off to the Bird Mobile with Pam and the others in tow. Sally, Sam, Zoey, and Alexis all took bikes. They were older models from before Jake had finished the Bird Mobile, and one of them was Beth's original Bike. Pam climbed into the passenger seat of the Bird Mobile to let Beth drive. Jason, Kait, and Adelaide took two bikes; Adelaide sat behind Kait with her sword tucked into her belt. Alexis stowed Miriam in the back of the Bird Mobile, and she made sure that her restraints were nearly ironclad. The roar of the engines filled the cavern, and everyone did their best to prepare for the drive and what awaited them above.

"You can drive this, right?" Pam asked, marveling at the copious amount of buttons, dials, and flashing lights in the car.

"Course I can," Beth replied, fastening her seatbelt and readjusting her helmet, "Jake drove it more, but you're crazy if you think I didn't take this baby for a few spins."

"How the hell do you know what all these little gizmos do?" Pam asked.

"I don't," Beth answered honestly, "I know where the boost is, the eject button is, and the big gun. Everything else, your guess is as good as mine."

"That inspires quite a bit of confidence, Kitten," Pam deadpanned, "Just try not to get us killed before we face Rebecca, or whatever is waiting for us up there."

"We'll be fine, probably," Beth said, attempting to lighten the mood, "Hey, so, I know we say this a lot, but this might be the last time I get to. I just want to tell you that I love you, and to thank you for everything you've done for me. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you, and I wouldn't know as much about myself if you hadn't-"

"Taken you into my care?" Pam finished.

"I was gonna say, forced me into submission, but let's go with that," Beth replied, "Kidding, kind of. Seriously, though, if you hadn't come to me all those months ago, I'd either be dead or a brainless drone for Goth."

"The pleasure has been all mine, Beth Thompson," Pam said, giving her hand a squeeze, "I wouldn't know love if it weren't for you, and I would still be under Rebecca's thumb without you. I love you too, and nothing is going to tear you away from me. We fight together, and if need be, we die together. You're not getting away from me so easily."

"No place I'd rather be than by your side," Beth said, shifting the Bird Mobile into gear, "Alright, hold on tight. If we win this, we can blow each other later."

"There's the girl I fell in love with," Pam laughed, "Let's do this."

The winding road out of the Bird Cage shook and quaked as the tremors grew stronger. The water rushing beneath it crashed against the rock, and part of the ceiling began to fall as they sped up and out. Beth and Pam took point, but the others were close behind. The Bird Cage had been their last fortress, and now they were leaving it to face what forces were left above ground. The demons were sure to be swarming the city, but Goth's acolytes and followers had proven formidable. There was no guarantee that the demons would be enough to dismantle their ranks. The fanaticism that Goth's followers had gave them one advantage: they weren't afraid of death.

Beth pressed abutting near the center console as they approached the exit. The wall folded up as the hydraulics did their magic. A final tremor rocked the cavern, and more of the ceiling fell down as Jason and the others followed her and Pam out. They passed through the raised stretch of road and into the city just as the gate collapsed on itself. There was officially no going back now. The city was in chaos by the time they arrived topside. The sky still held a tint of red, and thunder and lightning illuminated the darkness. Fires were spread throughout the city, and the demons fought on against Goth's remaining devoted followers. The rain had finally come, and it poured down in an ominous backdrop to the wails, howls, and screams that echoed throughout the city.

"Beth, can you hear me?" Jason's voice came over the comms, "We need to get around to the manor. If we're lucky, we can catch Goth while she's wounded."

"Reading you loud and clear, Jay," Beth replied, "I was thinking the same thing. Stick close, and watch out for any of her devotees that are left."

"Copy that," Jason said.

They circled the block around the outskirts of the Blackridge Manor. The streets were filled with the bodies of fallen followers and the carcasses of the demons from Hell. Thankfully, many of the surviving warriors were too preoccupied trying to fend off another invasion to pay their group much mind. They drove up the hill at full speed just in time to see Jake's family home come crumbling to the ground. It was unusual to see it fall. The roof caved in first, then came the surrounding walls, and finally the ground level fell in on itself. A column of red and purple energy seemed to be pouring from the skies and into the structure. It slowly began to dissipate as they approached and parked their vehicles. All that was left of Blackridge Manor was dust and a pile of rubble.

Beth swung the car around so that the front end was facing the rubble, and she and Pam quickly climbed out of the car. Jason and the others parked close by, and one by one, they got off and on their feet. "Holy shit," Sam said as she walked up to join everyone, "She really did it. Do you really think she could survive that?"

"Unless I see a body, I'd say yes," Jason replied, "Come on, we need to move."

"Hey!" a familiar voice called from up above.

Everyone looked up in time to see Jake gliding down and landing before them. Alexis and Beth rushed at him and wrapped him in a tight surprise hug, "You made it out!" Alexis squealed, "I knew you wouldn't die up there! Well, I was pretty sure anyways."

"You mad idiot," Beth said as she pulled away, "You actually got that thing to work!"

"Bit of a rough field test, but I didn't have another option," Jake said, rubbing the back of his neck, "She sealed me in upstairs, but the windows were busted so I didn't have a choice other than to jump."

Alexis pulled back and whispered while gesturing to the rest of the group, "Some people thought you'd bit the big one from Beccy. Not me though, I knew that broody bitch wouldn't beat my man!"

"Not your man, but thanks anyways, Alexis," Jake said.

"We'll circle back around to this," Alexis said, waving his comment off, "Every relationship has ups and downs, rough patches, and spats. Just know, I'm here for ya, baby."

"That's not-" Jake began before sighing, "You know what, thanks, Alexis."

"Jake, what did happen up there?" Pam asked, answering his unspoken prayer for help.

Before he could respond, a loud bang came from the ruins of his home. Everyone turned to face it, and another ominous boom filled the air. "She's still alive," Jake said, his tone growing cold, "It's a lot to explain, and we don't have time for it now. Secure the area while I finish this."

"You don't need to do this alone, Jake," Beth said, "Let us help you."

"No," Jake said, staring at the pile of rubble that was his home, "I started this, I need to be the one to finish it. You all just try to keep her minions from interfering. I'm expecting more tricks from her, and it'll be better if you all make sure any civilians or defectors stay safe."

"You realize that this is what she wants, right?" Jason asked, "You, alone and at her mercy."

"Maybe," Jake said, advancing through what was left of the gates to his home, "If she wants me, then she can have me. It has to be me who brings this to a close. Too many people have already been killed or hurt because of me, and if anyone else is going to suffer, it'll be me."

"That's the first heroic thing I've heard you say, Blackridge," Jason said as he turned to everyone, "Alright, you heard the man! Fan out, search for survivors, and be ready for any of Goth's trickery!"

"We're rooting for you, Jake," Sam said as she switched the safety off her handguns.

"Give her hell, Birdboy," Sally said before shaking her head, "Never thought I'd actually root for your dumbass."

"We'll join you if it becomes too much," Pam said, "Watch your back. You know Rebecca as well as I do, and we both know that she's most dangerous when backed into a corner."

Jake nodded and walked through the gates to his family home. He hadn't made it but a few steps when the ground shook beneath his feet. He looked around and saw as a wall of flames arose at his back. Thrice as high as himself, and they cast an unnerving glow in an already ominous setting. He shook off the fear and returned to his advancement. He was done being afraid. No longer would he hide in the dark. It was time to bring an end to the pain that he'd endured for so long; it was time to finally bring an end to the Goth Goddess.




© Copyright 2022 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032285-Chapter-17