*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032287-Epilogue
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Adult · #2272852
Jake, Beth, and Pam have to band together with old foes to stop the monster they unleashed
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1032287 added May 12, 2022 at 5:16am
Restrictions: None
Epilogue
It had been two weeks since a band of heroes had stepped up to free Metropolis from the Goth Goddess. The city was beginning to rebuild from the ground up, and the process was slow. Those that had served under Goth had either been arrested, or were trying to return to some semblance of normalcy. The group of heroes had all but vanished, except for the mysterious Raven and the violent Feral who continued to operate from the shadows. Zoey Prince, one of the only known persons in the group, had stepped up to act as commissioner for the MPD. Under her guidance, the police force was finally trying to get a handle on the destruction and crime that had overtaken the city from Goth.

With Goth gone and the city still in chaos, the criminal underworld had a void it sought to fill. Crime waves had reached a new high in her absence, but The Feral and The Raven were working to remind them that their actions still had consequences. They worked to put fear into the hearts of the city's criminals, and as a result, their meetings often took place in the darkest corners of the city. Late nights when the recovering citizens slept and tried to forget about the nightmare they'd lived, that was when the criminal element held their meetings, or made their moves. Their hope was that they could avoid being discovered by the murderous Feral or the ruthless Raven.

That was precisely why said criminals had chosen to meet in one of Goth's old warehouses on the docks. It was rumored to be a place that neither hero, if they could truly be called that, dared to tread. A group of thugs sat at a large table attempting to discuss their next big score. A gang of men and women who'd been under Goth's thumb had gathered to try to make a name for themselves. They'd been humiliated, disgraced, and abused by the former Goddess, and now they sought to redeem themselves through their own tyranny. It was a time of opportunity for them, and they had every intention of seizing it. The supervillains were all still in hiding, and it was the perfect time for them to strike.

The problem was that none of them seemed to agree on just what to do. Some of them wanted to rob a bank, others wanted to kidnap an elected official, and others just wanted to cause chaos. Every idea that was presented was continually shot down by one young man sitting in the corner with a newscap pulled down over his eyes and a thick winter coat. "Okay, so what if we rob Metropolis Mint?" a woman asked.

"You want to try to rob the most secure building in Metropolis?" the young naysayer scoffed, "You lot don't have the equipment, smarts, or coordination to even make it through the back door!"

"Then we knock over the armory!" a man exclaimed, "We can hit Blackridge and his shit company while they're still rebuilding. They've got more shit in their warehouses than they can count! We take that little fuck's gadgets and gear, and there won't be any way for the Feral or that Raven fuck to stand up to us!"

"So you've got a way past Blackridge's automated security?" the young man asked, "Well, that's some good news. Those turrets ripped the last bunch of dumbasses to shreds when they tried to break in."

"I mean, we can probably sneak past them," the man said, rubbing the back or his neck.

"Okay, any other bright ideas, or are we gonna sit here and just say stupid shit all night?" the young man asked before slapping his hand down on the table, "Oh, I got one! Why don't we try to steal The Feral's guns? That seems about as smart as anything you all have come up with."

"Alright, jackass, I've heard about enough out of you," a large man growled, standing up and cracking his knuckles, "Who the fuck are you, anyways? I ain't ever seen you around, and it seems like you're just here to shit on everyone else's ideas."

"Who, me?" the young man asked, leaning back in his chair, "I'm nobody, just another idiot who worked for Goth when she was in control. I figured that I'd be better off trying to make a name for myself out here, but so far, all that I've heard is just showing me why you morons were serving under her. None of you have half a brain cell!"

"This coming from the guy who just said he worked for her too," a woman huffed as she grabbed a pistol on the table, "I got an idea, why don't we shut this little shit up once and for all?!"

"Your funeral, lady," the young man said, chuckling as she pointed the gun at him, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Oh yeah, why's that?" she asked, cocking the hammer back.

"Suit yourself," he shrugged before suddenly kicking the table and sending it flying into the air.

"What the fuck?!" the woman yelled as she opened fire.

Money, guns, bullets, and other items flew through the air as the young man grabbed his chair and threw it at a man off to his left. Amidst the confusion, he pulled out a small handful of metal balls from his pocket. He ducked and charged forward, tossing the balls one by one at anyone close by. His speed was incredible, and the thugs couldn't believe that anyone could be so fast. He ducked under a hail of gunfire, and took down the woman who'd opened fire on him by sweeping her leg out from under her. He dropped one of the small pellets onto her, and her body convulsed as it sent volts of electricity through her.

The remaining thugs had managed to gather their weapons and wits, but he pulled out another gadget from his pocket. A small gun that he pointed up at the rafters. A cable shot out of it, and he went soaring into the darkness as they tried to shoot him down. "Fuck, it's the bird!" one of the men yelled, "Kill this little mother fucker!"

Jake landed on one of the rafters, and quickly made his way deeper into the shadows. He scoffed to himself as he ran for cover. He caught a glimpse of Ashley sitting on the edge of an opposing beam. "Hurry up and finish this, Jake," she said, examining her nails, "These creatons aren't worth our time. Don't delay this with your little theatrics."

It was moments like this that he was able to forget about everything that had happened. Ashley knew it, but she grew bored easily unless there was a real challenge. He ignored her, but he knew that he needed to finish quickly all the same. Pam had mentioned something about a surprise for him, and he didn't like to keep his friend waiting. He pulled out a few birdarangs from his coat, and turned around once the gunfire ceased. He crept along the beam above as he watched for any signs of movement. They were clustered together, but he had a way to fix that. Smirking to himself, he threw a birdarang in the opposite direction. He chased after it while keeping his balance up above.

"What the hell was that?" a man asked.

"I don't know, go check it out," another woman snapped, "Maybe that little shit fell. Find him and kill him."

"Man, I don't like this," the man grumbled as he slowly walked off towards the noise he'd heard, "What if he's got that freaky witch chick with him? You saw what she did to Big Tony! Dude hasn't spoke a word in months, and that was before Goth took over!"

"Just shut up and go!" the woman barked, "Honestly, that crazy bitch was right about one thing. Men are fucking cowards."

"Standing right here," a man sighed, "You don't see me running, do you?"

"Focus, you sensitive goon!" the woman yelled, "We've got a bird to find!"

Jake didn't catch the rest of their argument. He had perched atop a rafter waiting for the lone gunman to approach. The young man, he couldn't have been more than twenty, walked up with a submachine gun in his hands. His legs were shaking as he peeked around the corner, and Jake couldn't stop himself from grinning as he dropped down onto him. He wrapped his arm around his neck, placed a hand over his mouth, and guided his stumbling form to prevent him from making too much noise. His gun went off as he fell to the ground unconscious, and Jake immediately pulled out his grabbing gun to retreat back into the shadows.

The other two came running to see if their comrade had managed to slay the elusive Raven, but they stopped when they saw him lying on the ground. Jake could have drawn things out, but these were the only two remaining. He waited until they were close together before dropping down behind them. They spun around once his boots hit the floor. He leaned to the side to avoid getting shot, and grabbed the woman's wrist as she fired. A quick twist disarmed her, and he wrapped an arm around her to spin her towards her teammate. The other man was about to fire, but he stopped when he saw her terrified face staring at him. He growled as he took the butt of his gun and tried to bash Jake's face. Jake laughed as he adjusted the woman's position, and the butt of the gun knocked her unconscious. He threw her body at the man, and pounced on him as he stumbled back with her weight.

The man threw her body to the side, but Jake was already on him. They fell to the ground and rolled while trying to fight for dominance. The man wound up on top, but his gun had clattered off to the side during their skirmish. He wrapped his hands around Jake's throat and began strangling him. Jake kept his calm, and he raised his arms before striking the man's elbows. It was enough to break his grip, and Jake threw a hard right hook to the side of his face. The man rolled to the side from the force, and Jake followed after him. Another strong jab knocked him out cold. Jake stood up and admired his handiwork. Another successful evening of dismantling the growing criminal element in his city.

He pulled out a small flip phone from his coat, opened it up, and called Beth. "What kind of trouble did you get yourself into this time?" Beth's sarcastic voice came over the line.

"Don't be a dick," Jake replied, stepping over the bodies and heading to the exit, "Pam was right about the tattoos, by the way. Nobody recognized me with them. Took down another ring of wouldbe big leaguers before they even knew what hit them."

"Nobody recognized you because those tattoos are ugly and stupid," Beth scoffed, "There is no one in their right mind who would get all that shit tattooed on their body. Huh? Yeah, it's him. Sure, you can talk to him if you want. Jake, Pam wants you."

"Yeah, I gathered that," he said, "Just put her on."

"Don't get snippy with me," Beth warned, "I've got half a mind to-hey!"

"Jake, I'd appreciate it if you didn't rile my girlfriend up," Pam's voice came on the line, "I've got enough to deal with without a temper tantrum from my pet."

"I don't throw tantrums!" Beth yelled in the background.

"Yes, because this is really helping to prove that," Pam said dryly, "Anyway, your little outing was successful then? I told you those hideous tattoos would come in handy. I don't imagine it'll go well with your board of directors, but I think I have a charm that can help with that."

"Yeah, they worked like a…well, like a charm," Jake said as he stepped out into the cloudy and cold night air, "If you're got something that can cover these things up for when I go back to work, that would be fantastic. I look like I just got out of prison."

"You look like you were used and abused by a demonically possessed sorceress and witch," Pam said.

"I mean, I don't think everyone sees it that way," Jake laughed, "You've got more insight into these things than most. You said you had something you wanted to show me?"

"Ah yes, I nearly forgot," Pam replied, "Meet us at Blackridge Manor in an hour. I've got something that I've been working on that I think you'll want to see."

"The manor?" Jake said, his voice faltering as his mind wandered back to that night not so long ago, "I don't know, Pam, I think I'll pass."

"Don't argue with me," Pam said, her tone turning more authoritative, and Jake could almost see Beth stiffen in the background, "One hour, Blackridge Manor, be there, and don't be late. I haven't spent the last week concocting this just to have it thrown away by your reluctance."

"Yes ma'am," Jake quickly said before shaking his head and adding.

"Good," Pam said before sweetly adding, "We'll see you there, and try to be careful."

The line went dead and Jake closed the phone. "Sometimes I forget that she's an alpha," he whispered to himself as he walked away from the docks, "Shit, I need to call Zoey and let her know to come pick up the trash."

He dialed her number, and his mind began to wander. Now that the excitement was over, he found himself thinking back to the night of Rebecca's death. It didn't help that he was having to visit the site of the calamity. Even as he spoke with Zoey, he could feel himself slipping away. He went through the motions as he made his way to his old home. Memories were a funny thing, and for Jake, they were often painful these days. He replayed the events after that night in his mind as he got on his bike and drove off.

—---------------------

Jake had sat there weeping and holding Rebecca's lifeless body for what felt like an eternity. He'd chosen this path, he'd known the outcome, but seeing her gone hit him harder than he could have ever imagined. Pam had been the first to approach him, and she put a hand on his shoulder. "Jake," she began quietly, "She's gone. You did what you had to do."

He didn't respond other than pulling her body closer. Jason and the others slowly moved up. Despite Jason's hateful feelings, he refrained from speaking ill of Rebecca. "Is he gonna be okay?" Kait asked, eying her former adversary with concern rather than contempt.

"Kids hurting," Sally replied, trying to keep her voice down, "Goth may have been insane, brutal, and hateful, but I'm guessing she wasn't always like that. The heart is a funny thing. No matter how bad someone treats you, sometimes you still love 'em. I'm guessing she had some kind of lucid moment there at the end."

Jason crossed his arms and looked away. He wouldn't shed a tear for Goth or Rebecca, but he understood attachments better than most. He'd been abused by Goth and her cronies for much longer than anyone, except perhaps Pam, but the mind was a funny thing. Some deep and dark part of him still felt a connection to Rebecca. Maybe it was just because she'd robbed him of his life, but part of him knew that wasn't all it was. Stockholm Syndrome was something he was all too familiar with. Goth had to die, both he and Jake knew that, but Jason also knew Jake had a bond with the woman behind the monster. It had been his biggest concern when Jake had joined their fight. Emotions were a funny thing, but Jake had kept his word. Maybe there was hope for the boy yet.

"Jake," Sam said, stepping forward, "Jake, you saved us, you saved everyone. She wouldn't have stopped until the world was under her control. You heard her."

"That wasn't her," Jake said quietly, "That was Lilith's fucking influence."

"It had a hold on her, Jake," Pam said, "The woman you and I knew was gone before tonight. She knew that you did what needed to be done. She was proud of you, she was grateful."

"I killed her," Jake whispered, fighting another sob, "I sent her to that monster down below, and you think she was grateful?!"

"I felt it," Pam replied, being careful not to match his hostile tone, "My empathy isn't something that I can turn off, Jake. I know what I felt, and I felt that she was thankful for what you did. Rebecca knew what would happen if she died. Her soul would have wound up with Lilith regardless of whether or not you ended her with that blade. She accepted her fate before her spirit left this world."

"Would it be in bad taste if I sang The Witch is Dead?" Alexis whispered to Beth who responded by elbowing her in the stomach, "Oof, I was just asking. I'm trying to be considerate here."

"Just keep your mouth shut, Alexis," Beth sighed before walking forward and asking, "Jake, what do you want to do? She was your…well, whatever you want to call it, and we'll side with you."

"I don't know what we were," Jake admitted, trying to stand, but faltering as the pain from his battle finally set in, "She said we were destined to be together. Dilatrix said something similar months ago, but I guess I never really put a label on us. I…I loved her, though. She treated me like shit most of the time, but-"

"But somehow you couldn't stay mad at her," Jason interjected as he pulled down his face coverings, pulled out a pack of cigarettes, and lit one up before offering one to Jake, "I know what you mean, kid. She was an ice queen most of the time, ruthless, brutal, hateful, but those moments of clarity where she wasn't a monster…they reminded me that she was human too. My memories from that time in my life are hazy, but I remember those fleeting moments where she wasn't torturing me for laughs. She was like the perfect drug, and just like a drug, she had a way of getting inside your head and under your skin. I wouldn't surprised, though, if she finds a way out from Lilith's clutches."

"You really believe that?" Adelaide asked, speaking up for the first time, "I don't know much about this Lilith person, but I gather that she's who gave him that weapon and sent those demons."

"Lilith is an Arch Demon who ruled Hell long before Stinkromancer rose to power," Alexis chimed in, "The scrolls in the Infernal Libraries told about the type of demon she was, how she ruled, and the differences between her realm versus what my old boss created."

"So like a queen of Hell?" Adelaide asked.

"Yep!" Alexis beamed, "That's exactly what she was, and a royal bitch to boot!"

"You think Goth will return, Jason?" Kait asked, her tone betraying a hint of worry.

"If anyone can outwit and escape someone like Lilith, it's her," Jason sighed, "Crossing between worlds is difficult, but she may return one day. Whether or not she returns as what we faced tonight will remain a mystery. She could return more powerful than ever, or she could come back as a shadow of her former self. If she comes back as the monster we fought, then we'll be ready for her. The problem we face isn't her right now, though. It's what lies on the horizon."

"Way to make a mood worse, Jay," Sally sighed, "What type of bullshit are you on about now?"

"Maybe nothing, maybe something," Jason replied, "I'll be keeping a close eye on things to be safe, and if things go sideways, I'll be in touch with you all."

"Feel free to lose my number," Sally said, crossing her arms, "I got no interest in joining another crazy crusade."

"Like it or not, you're a part of this now, you all are," Jason said, taking a drag of his cigarette and starting to walk away, "When the time comes, we'll end up together again. You, Sam, Kait, and Pam may have been villains before, but you're on the same side now. We may not he heroes, but we're all that stands against the storm to come."

"What about me?" Alexis asked, pouting at being left out.

"Jury is out on you, screwball," Jason chuckled, "Time will tell where you stand, but somewhere inside that fucked up head, there's a shred of decency in you. I just hope you don't snuff it out under your own heel before the time comes."

"Jay, where are you going?" Kait asked.

"Away," Jason replied, "I'm a deadman, Kait, and this world doesn't have a place for me outside of when shit is hitting the fan. I'll be around, but you might not see me for a while."

"You won't hide from me, Jason," Kait said, adamantly, "I'll find you."

"I'm sure you will," Jason smiled, "I'll miss you, Kait, but I'll be sure to keep my word. Once a month, like I promised."

"You mean that?" Kait asked, slightly hopeful.

"I'm a man of my word," Jason replied, "Take care of that rookie while I'm away. Adelaide, it was good to fight alongside of you. Listen to Kait, and I think you'll end up well enough. Try not get yourselves shot by Beth, though."

"Fuck you," Beth said with a grin behind her hood.

Jason grinned as he held up a middle finger as he walked into the darkness, "See you all around," he said as he started to disappear, "You all did well, and this city owes you a debt it'll never be able to repay. Jake, don't let yourself get dragged down into the muck. You did what you had to, what nobody else could. This city still needs good men, and your job is far from over. Pleasure working with ya."

That was the last thing Jason said before disappearing into the shadows. Like a ghost in the night, he was gone. "Fucking asshole," Beth grumbled before kneeling down to check on her friend, "Can you walk?"

Jake shook his head, and Pam spoke up, "I can help with that. Hold still, and let me see if I can't fix you up a bit."

Jake nodded as Pam went to work with her healing magic. A white light emanated from her hands, and he could feel the warmth from the magic spreading through him. It should have helped him to feel rejuvenated, but all it did was further the hollow feeling within. With Rebecca gone, Pam was the only magic user he knew. He'd never again feel the familiar tingle of Rebecca's magic. It should have been a happy feeling, considering that she'd finally wormed her way into his mind, but somehow even that made him feel empty. As his cuts, bruises, and broken bones were healed, he couldn't shake the gnawing emptiness that washed over him.

Pam finished and took a step back, "There, try to stand now," she said, watching him closely.

Jake slowly got to his feet with Rebecca's large body still in his arms. He managed to stand, and he took a deep breath to try to call himself. "I…" he trailed off before clearing his throat, "I want to keep her somewhere safe, somewhere that I can visit her."

"You want to take her back to the apartment?" Alexis asked and scoffed, "And you people say I'm crazy."

Beth elbowed Alexis again, "Dude, can you not?" she asked.

"I'm just saying, that is weird even for me," Alexis shrugged.

"I think he means a crypt, Alexis," Pam sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose, "Jake, you do realize that half of the city will want her body on display, and the other half will want to see it burned, right?"

"That's why nobody needs to know where she's kept," he replied, "You all fought beside me, supported me, and so I'm trusting you with this information."

"Sure, kid, if that's what you want," Sally said, turning and surprising everyone by taking up for him, "You all hear that?! Kid just saved the fucking city, and all he wants is to have her resting place kept secret! I catch a whif of any fuckery, and I will personally beat your ass black and blue before he gets his hands on you! Do I make myself clear?!"

"Calm your tits, Sal," Kait replied, "Footgirl is who you need to be threatening, not us. I'm taking Addy and going to start training her. I'm done with trying to take over this world. I've seen what that gets you, and I've got no interest in seeing Hell anytime soon."

"Why me?!" Alexis demanded, stomping her foot, "I can keep a secret! I never told anyone that Jake had a special pair of panties he wears on Tuesday nights, and I never even mentioned his secret identity!"

"You just-nevermind," Kait sighed, "Honestly, Alexis, you make less sense than anyone I've ever met."

"The point is," Alexis said, stomping her foot, "I'm not gonna say shit, okay? I didn't like her, still don't, but if Jake wants her kept quiet then I'll do it. I'm crazy, I might be a little crazy, but I'm not a cunt. Well, not intentionally to the people I care about."

"She does bring up a good point, though," Beth said, "What do you plan on doing with her body?"

"I may have a solution to that," Zoey said, stepping forward, "The precinct has a morgue that we could store her in to preserve her body. As much trouble as she's caused, it could be a problem, but the police force will have to rebuild before they can start taking inventory again. I can keep her off the books for a while until we can figure out something more permanent."

"Thank you, Zoey, that…that means a lot to me," Jake said, "I promise that Blackridge Inc. will make a sizable contribution to rebuilding the MPD. Rebuilding costs, arming the men and women on the force, and maybe we can do something to bolster the pension and retirement of you and your fellow officers."

"Careful, Jake, I'll hold you to that," Zoey said with a smile, trying to lighten the mood as best she could, "I'm sure Blackridge Incorporated will have their hands full trying to reestablish a name for themselves, but any assistance will be appreciated."

"So, uhm," Sam started as she stepped up, "What is the plan after all this?"

"Weren't you just going on and on about a date before the house exploded?" Kait asked, crossing her arms.

Sam blushed and twisted her boot, "I mean, yeah, I think I was. Heat of the moment and all that shit."

Zoey smirked and walked over to Sam, "Samantha, I'd be more than happy to take you out on a proper date."

"Man, there is a lot of gay in the air tonight," Alexis mused, earning more than a few cross looks.

"I didn't realize you were homophobic, Alexis," Pam said.

"Huh?" Alexis asked before shaking her head, "I didn't mean it like that! I'm just surprised that Sammie over here, Beth, and Kaity-Kat are all shacking up with girls. You think I'm gonna judge anyone for something like that?"

"She's got a point," Beth shrugged.

"I'm not-" Kait started looking over at Adelaide, "She's my apprentice, not some toy for me to play with!"

"Sure, whatever you say," Alexis giggled, "She's pretty, and I bet that she's a squirmer. Aren't you, Addy? Does someone like to struggle?"

Adelaide's blush deepened, and she took a step back, "I don't, I mean, I'm not-"

"Don't take that from her, Adelaide," Kait said sternly, stepping closer to Adelaide.

"Yeesh, for someone who's not interested, you sure are protective," Alexis mused, putting her hands behind her head.

"I'm her apprentice," Adleaide said, her tone slightly more assertive, "Unless something happens, I'm her subordinate, not a lover. What I do in the bedroom is none of your business."

"Hmm, looks like you might have a backbone yet," Alexis said thoughtfully, "Alright, I'll leave it alone. It's not because of you, though, girly. I'll leave well enough alone because Kait and I have a bit of a history."

"What about you?" Kait asked, "What's next for the self-righteous Footgirl?"

"Well, the city seems to have forgotten me," Alexis replied before grinning wickedly, "I can't have that, now can I? I'll let things get back to normal for a bit, but then I'll remind Metropolis who her true villain really is."

"You realize that an officer and two vigilantes are standing right here, right?" Sally asked with a sigh.

"Oh, I'm well aware," Alexis replied, "Where's the fun in mayhem without someone to try to stop you? The chase is the best part of the game!"

"You are one hundred percent insane," Sally said and added, "You're hopeless."

"Nobody is hopeless," Jake said, looking down at Rebecca's body in his arms, "Sometimes people just need someone to push them to the light."

Alexis shot him a dreamy look that Jake had inadvertently overlooked. "You are such a romantic," she whispered and grinned, "Whelp, I'm off then, I guess. I'll see you all around. Beth, maybe we can do a girls night sometime?"

"Is it weird to anyone else that these two are chummy?" Sally asked, looking between Beth and Alexis.

"Yes," Jake said.

"Very much so," Pam agreed, "But everyone needs a friend, I suppose."

"Sure," Beth answered Alexis, ignoring everyone else, "Just try not to make it one at gunpoint after one of your schemes."

"Awe, that means I have to plan a date," Alexis whined, "Fine, but we're getting drunk, damnit!"

"You could always just drop the evil shtick," Beth offered.

"And what, get a normal job?" Alexis asked before scoffing, "I'd rather die again than stoop to that level of bullshit. Life's no fun going day to day!"

"Then turn your energy to something that doesn't involve threatening to enslave the city," Kait said, "It'll save you a bullet wound from Beth, at the very least."

"Ugh, would you guys get off my case?!" Alexis asked, stomping her foot, "Let me get where I'm going on my own. I'm Footgirl, and I don't plan shit out this far ahead! Just let me do my thing. Maybe something changes, maybe things stay the same. I'm not changing who I am for anyone anytime soon. Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe I have a fun little plaything needing my attention!"

Alexis practically skipped off in the direction of the bike she'd commandeered from the Birdcage. Miriam was still sleeping soundly, but everyone saw her stir as Alexis hopped on and started the bike. They could hear Alexis' mad laughter and Miriam's frantic cries for help over the roar of the engine. They were gone only a few short seconds later. "She just stole one of my bikes," Jake said, realizing as she disappeared that he wouldn't be seeing it again anytime soon.

"Yeah, it's gone," Beth said, "Shame too, I really liked that one."

"On that same note," Sally said, "I think I'll take one of them as well. Sammie and I could use a little project to work on, and with that little tank of yours, I don't think you'll really need these two."

Jake was about to protest, but he stopped and shook his head, "Consider it a thank you for everything you two have done. You risked your lives to help us, and you two have been with us since our escape from Citiville."

"Heh, if this is a perk of helping a hero, then maybe I ought to do it more often," Sally laughed as she started to walk over to her new bike, "You three take care of yourselves. You need something, then you give us a call. Do me one last favor, though?"

"Name it," Jake said.

"Try not to need anything," Sally said with a grin, "You three have a habit for getting into some mad bullshit. Beth, you know where to find me."

"Don't go starting any trouble!" Beth warned.

"You kidding?" Sally asked, "I've seen your temper, and I've seen how trigger happy you are. I ain't trying to get shot, kiddo. I ain't gonna keep my nose clean, but I'll take it easy enough to keep you off my ass. Besides, I think Sammie is dating a cop now. What a world!"

"Sal, shut it!" Sam snapped, hurrying to catch up with her, "Jake, call me if you need anything. I know we haven't always been close, but-"

"Your my sister, Sam," Jake said, "I'll be in touch, and I think it might be nice to sit down when someone isn't trying to kill us for a change."

Sam smiled and nodded, "Sounds like a plan. I'll be in touch!"

"What about you?" Pam asked, looking at Zoey, "What does the marvelous Lady Grey have planned for the rest of the evening?"

"First, that's my stage name," Zoey replied before sighing, "Second, I'm going to head down to the precinct and survey the damage. I need to start trying to take the place back. I'll probably be sleeping there until things return to normal, but I have to do my part."

"I'll go with you," Beth said before looking at Pam, "If that's okay with you, that is."

"Of course," Pam said, "I'll make sure Jake gets somewhere safe, and then I'll go check on Chasity and Avery. I believe that without their Matron, what's left of Goth's forces should fall away simple enough. Try to be home before too long, though. I'll be watching you, and I'll be in touch if you're taking too long."

"Understood," Beth said, readjusting her helmet, "I'll be back before you know it. Just let me know where I'm heading once you get somewhere safe. Come on, Zoey, let's move."

"Thanks, Beth," Zoey said, walking alongside Beth to her bike, "Jake, as soon as I have a spot open for Rebecca, I'll let you know."

Jake nodded and watched as Beth got on before Zoey and the two took off. The rubble and chaos that Goth had left in her wake made the terrain difficult, but she had been a force of nature. "Any place in particular you want to go, Jake?" Pam asked, "I can take you nearly anywhere you wish to go."

"Just take us back to the clocktower," Jake said, his smile fading as everyone disappeared.

"You don't have to put on a brave face for everyone," Pam said, seeing his demeanor shift, "It's okay to hurt. You're human, we all are, and I'd say you've earned the right to be upset about what's happened. You can at least let your guests down around Beth and myself."

"Thanks, Pam," he said, "I'll be okay. The city still needs a hero, though, and I can't sit around and mope any longer."

"You can't bury these things either, Jake," Pam pointed out, "You have people that will support you. I know that there was more between you two than just a dominant and submissive relationship. You can't hide your feelings from me."

"I know," Jake said with a frown, "I can't let Beth keep handling everything on her own, though. You two deserve some time together after all this, and I need to get back out into the field. I could use a distraction anyway."

"Distracting yourself isn't going to help you deal with things, Jake," Pam argued, "There's still a lot to do. We have to figure out a way to remove that mark, and to get you out of your contract with Lilith. Reestablishing your moniker as a hero and namesake should be the least of your worries."

"The city needs a symbol, Pam," he said, "It needs Jake Blackridge back at the helm of his company, and it needs people trying to put things right. I let things go for too long, and the people I care about have all suffered because of my neglect. I'm done letting others pay for my mistakes and inaction. I think…I think that Rebecca would want me to go back to helping people. You saw her at the end, what do you think?"

Pam sighed and crossed her arms, "I think that's exactly what she would have wanted. Maybe not before tonight, but she still saw you as her knight in shining armor. A hero willing to help the weak, and someone who was willing to lay his life down to save others. Personally, I think you're an idiot, but that's just one girl's opinion."

"An idiot, huh?" Jake asked, smiling despite his mood and Pam's insult.

"A noble idiot, but an idiot all the same," Pam replied with a smile, "Do what you feel you must, but don't do it alone. You have us to help you, and I don't want you losing sight of what's important. Save people, help your city, but don't forget that we have to remove that mark. I know that Rebecca wouldn't want you to end up a toy for Lilith, and I vow to do everything in my power to help free you."

"Thanks, Pam," Jake said with a sincere smile, "Let's go. I want to get her somewhere safe."

"Transporting men and dead women," Pam sighed as she uncrossed her arms and let her hands glow, "I've become a taxi and a herse…what is my life coming to?"

He didn't respond as a puddle of darkness began to form around Pam. He stepped closer to her, and they slowly sunk into the abyss. It was strange, but somehow he felt oddly at home within it. The cold chill and the sound of screaming wasn't comforting, but it had fit his mental state.

—----------------------

Jake arrived at the ruins of his family estate with a frown. Pam, Beth, and Zoey all stood leaning against a large SUV. "Hey, look who finally decided to show!" Beth yelled.

He waved as he approached, "Sorry it took me a little longer. I got a little distracted."

Pam gave him a knowing look, but she didn't say anything other than, "Funny how often that seems to happen these days. I thought I told you not to keep me waiting."

He rubbed the back of his neck as he nervously laughed, "I got here as quick as I could!"

"Hmm, I doubt that," Pam said as she turned to walk away, "Follow me."

"Is anyone gonna explain why Zoey is here?" Jake asked.

"Relax, Raven," Zoey said, "I got your call and dispatched a team to pick up your guys. Just be quiet, and watch the lady do her thing."

"How's Sam?" he asked, trying to find another distraction from the site of Rebecca's death.

"Didn't I just tell you to keep quiet?" Zoey asked in a stern tone, "Honestly, you two are more alike than you realize. It's like you want to be punished. She's doing well, she's been on her best behavior along with Sally. Well, at least considering they're still a couple of bikers, but they've been doing well to keep from coming up on our radar. Now, hush and watch what's about to happen."

"He's a glutton for punishment," Beth chimed in with a grin, "That's why I think that he should give Alexis a chance. Maybe if he did then we wouldn't have to worry about her getting back to her old tricks."

"Not this again," Jake sighed.

"Beth, not tonight," Pam said sternly, forgoing her usual pet name and making Beth stand up straight, "I want his full attention, and I don't need you two arguing while I work."

"Yes ma'am," Beth said sheepishly, "Sorry."

"It's cute how quick she can get the Feral to fall in line," Zoey mused, "Half the criminals in the city are terrified of you, but you practically bow before Pam."

"Shut it," Beth grumbled, "If they knew the things she could do, then they'd be more afraid of her than me!"

"Some of them do," Zoey said, "There is talk of a witch running around town punishing the bad people who cross her. She's something of a ghost story, but she terrifies more people than either of you realize."

"All well and good, I suppose, but can I please have some silence?" Pam asked, "As flattering as it is to know I inspire fear in the scum of this city, I have more pressing things to focus on."

"Yes ma'am, sorry again," Beth said, looking down at her boots.

"No need to pout, Kitten," Pam said, "Just be a good girl and be quiet for me, okay?"

Beth nodded, and Jake watched in confusion as Pam's body started to emit a strange pulse. The air seemed to vibrate around her, and he could feel a strange sensation washing over his body. He'd felt something like it once before, but he couldn't quite place it. Pam's hands started to glow a whitish purple as she raised them into the air. She took a deep breath before grunting and pushing forward. The odd feeling left his body as quickly as it came, but he was amazed at what happened next.

Jake watched the rubble, wreckage, ruins that were once his family home begin to lift into the air. They slowly moved, and time began to rewind around Blackridge Manor and the surrounding grounds. The scorched earth where Goth's ring of fire and devastating attacks returned to a lush green. The hedges in the back refolded and reformed piece piece. The marble stonework shards began snapping back into place. Shards of glass flew through the air, and hovered as the old wood of his home started to return to its original place. He looked over at Pam who had her eyes closed and was sweating as she continued to work. She was rebuilding his home. The headstones and mausoleums in the back were the last bits to return; they moved into place just as the glass reformed in the windows.

The process took only ten minutes, but it was incredible to watch. Jake stared up at everything with wide eyes as Pam finished. She turned to him breathing heavily and smiled, "Come on," she panted, "I just restored your family home, and you don't have anything to say?"

"This is…" Jake trailed off in disbelief, "This is incredible."

"I do my best to impress," Pam grinned as she stood up straight, "I've been studying chronomancy more since Dilatrix is no longer with us. Beth was the one who proposed the idea of rebuilding the Manor."

"This was your idea?" Jake asked Beth.

"What?" Beth asked, "I'm your friend, dude. I know how much this place meant to you. Besides, the head of Blackridge Inc. needs a proper resting place."

"You guys…" Jake trailed off again, a tear coming to his eye, "I don't know what to say."

"This is incredible," Ashley remarked, sauntering past him, "Pam is becoming quite adept at her craft. I dare say that she may surpass even my strongest magistrate from my armies."

"Ash says that you're something else," Jake said, looking at Pam.

"Must you butcher my speech, my love?" Ashley huffed, but she smiled at him to let him know she was teasing.

"I snuck Rebecca's body out of the morgue too," Zoey said, opening the hatch to the SUV, "It wasn't easy considering how big she is, but I managed to do it. We used a special stasis tank to keep her in. It was one of the last things that your company sent us before Goth took over. Pam, would you mind giving me a hand getting this inside?"

"By that, I'm assuming you mean will I use my powers to move it?" Pam asked.

"Well, yeah," Zoey replied, "This thing weighs a ton."

"Consider it done," Pam said with an exaggerated sigh, "I'll assume you want her kept in the Birdcage for the time being, Jake, yes?"

"Uhm, yeah, just until I can get something more permanent for her," Jake said, watching as Pam easily lifted the stasis tank containing his lost love, "Thank you all for this, all of it."

"Anytime, Jake," Pam said as she proceeded to walk towards the doors, "Come along, Kitten, I'll need your assistance getting into the Cage."

"Right behind you," Beth said and added as she passed Jake, "I never liked her, but I know how much she meant to you. Maybe there was some good buried deep inside her, but all that really matters to me is that you cared for her. We're your friends, Jake, and we'll always look out for you. Even if you do make some bad choices in women, wardrobe, and countless other things."

"Wardrobe?" Jake repeated, "What the hell is wrong with my outfit?"

"Kitten," Pam called, "It's rude to keep a woman waiting."

"I'll tell ya later," Beth said, hurrying to catch up with Pam.

Jake watched them walk, and he leaned against the SUV to relax. "She really is quite amazing," Zoey said with a whistle, "I can see why Beth is so drawn to her."

"There's a lot more to that story than you know," Jake said, "Rebecca was who brought them together, in a twisted sort of way."

"Pam was a member of her inner circle, wasn't she?" Zoey asked, looking up at the night sky, "I think I remember reading about a young woman matching her description back when the MPD was working to build a case against Goth when she was becoming a problem beyond Citiville's jurisdiction."

"Yeah, that's right," Jake replied, "You read about the slaughter in the cabin months ago, around the same time that the Feral killed Megabutt? Pam was there, Beth made her suffer before killing her."

"You're shitting me," Zoey said, staring at him in disbelief.

"Saw it with my own eyes," Jake said, "Beth sent a nice little film to Goth back at the castle. When Beth lost, Goth had Dilatrix resurrect Pam and the others Beth killed. Pam managed to get Beth to submit, and somehow they ended up as they are now."

"Indentured servitude led to that relationship and commitment?" Zoey asked in confusion, "How the hell does that work?"

"Ask them yourself when you've got time," Jake replied, "Still weird, but hey, as long as they're happy. Against all odds, they work well for each other."

"Hm, that they do," Zoey said, "Beth needs someone to keep her temper in check, and clearly Beth has had quite the morale impact on Pam. Listen, as much as I would love to spend the rest of the night hearing about those two, I've got to get back to the station. The rate you two have been filling our cells, I've got a mountain of paperwork to go through."

"Right, I'd apologize for that, but-" Jake started.

"It's cleaning up the streets, keeping yourself busy, and making my team's job easier," Zoey cut him off with a laugh, "If paperwork is the worst I've got, then I'll happily take it. It's good to get a break every once in a while and after everything that happened I'll take one when I can get it."

"Fair enough," Jake said, pushing off of the SUV, "Thanks again for taking care of Rebecca's body for me. You've been a good friend, Zoey."

Zoey rolled her eyes, but spoke in a sincere tone, "You're not alone, Birdboy, so stop treating yourself like you are."

"Birdboy is dead," Jake said solemnly, "He died a while ago."

"Raven, then," Zoey said, "Call yourself what you want, a hero's a hero, Jake. Even heroes need good people in their lives, though. Feel free to call for something other than business, and for God's sake, call your sister every once in a while. She worries about you, but she is rubbish at reaching out."

"I'll try to keep that in mind, and I'll call Sam tomorrow," Jake said, "I'll have to let Bruce know the manor is back, and I've got to start preparing to return to my company full time. I'll have some extra time on my hands tomorrow, so I'll reach out to her. Maybe we can grab lunch."

"She'd like that," Zoey said, opening the door, "She's softer than her exterior would lead you to believe. She hides it well, but she's got a big heart. Until next time, Raven."

Jake walked away as Zoey closed the door and drove off. He passed through the gate to his old home, but he didn't head inside. Instead, Jake chose to walk around to the backside of his home. Everything was exactly like it had been before he left. "Pam has really outdone herself," Ashley said, appearing in front of him and walking to survey the grounds, "I know what you're thinking, Jake, but are you sure you want to put the witch with the rest of your family? I know how much she meant to you, but I think you're quick to forget the things she did to you."

"I haven't forgotten, Ash," he said, continuing toward the hedge maze, "It doesn't excuse anything, but it wasn't all her. I want her here, safe and away from prying eyes. Half the city would burn her, and the other half would worship her as some sort of martyr. The best place for her body to rest is here."

"You speak as if you're doing something noble and heroic, but you and I both know that this is a selfish choice," Ashley said, crossing her arms and giving him a knowing look, "You want to have her close, and you're looking for excuses to justify that."

"Is that really so wrong?" Jake asked, not even attempting to deny her accusation, "Haven't I earned this? I suffered, I endured, and I brought her down. Don't I deserve to have at least something to combat this misery?"

"Aren't I enough?" Ashley countered, her eyes filled with hurt.

"I've lost two women that I loved," Jake started, looking up at the night sky, "Both died because of me; one because of my ignorance, and the other by my own hand. You're with me, Ash, but I can't hold you or be held by you. Rebecca might physically be here, but I can't be with her either. I can watch over her, and I can make sure they none of her acolytes try to do anything perverse with her body. I won't let someone take her away from me again, and I won't allow anyone to turn her back into what she was."

"You can't serve two masters, Jake," Ashley sighed, "A biblical verse, but one that is surprisingly true. You will love one and despise the other. Can you truly say you can love both her and I?"

"I hate what she became, but she wasn't always that way," Jake admitted, "I loved the person she was before, and I came to love you because of who you became. I don't have to serve two, not when both of you wanted the same thing for me."

"And what's that?" Ashley asked.

"In the end, you both just wanted me to be happy," he replied, "Tell me that I'm wrong."

"That harlot only wanted you under her thumb," Ashley spat bitterly.

"You weren't there at the end, Ash," Jake said, shaking his head, "You can see my memories, though, so I know you know how she was before she…before she died."

"I admit, I have watched those moments several times searching for any sign of deceit," Ashley sighed, "It pains me to say it, but I believe she was being honest for once."

"Let me have this, please," he pleaded with her, "If it weren't for Rebecca, then we would never have found each other."

"You also wouldn't be tethered to a monster like Lilith," Ashley pointed out before sighing in defeat, "But who am I to deny my love? You do look quite cute when you beg, but more than that, you are right. You have earned the right to be selfish. Why don't we go inside and have a look around? I'm curious to see the extent of Pam's new restorative abilities."

"Thanks, Ash," Jake said, relieved that Ashley was willing to concede on this issue, "Let's go home."

—--------------------------

A week later Pam had helped Jake construct an annex to his family mausoleum. She'd helped to create a second level underground. Her craftsmanship was surprisingly intricate. Pam said that it was simpler working with smaller materials as long as she had the proper time and peace to concentrate. Jake had followed behind her once she was done for the day, and he'd implemented the strictest and most advanced security equipment he had at his disposal. Nobody would get in, or out, without his express consent. He wanted to make sure that Rebecca wouldn't be disturbed by the press or her former acolytes.

He, Beth, and Pam walked down the stairwell to where Rebecca's final resting place laid. Jake wanted to hold a small service for her. Bruce, who'd managed to weather the storm of Goth's assault, had spent the morning preparing the chamber for the occasion. Bruce wasn't quite a fan of Rebecca, but he respected Jake's choice and feelings regardless. Jake was like a son to the aging man, and heaven knew he'd made his fair share of questionable romantic choices in his life. He'd selected various torches, flowers, and ornaments that captured the essence of Rebecca to commemorate her memory. His standing wouldn't dictate anything less than what Jake had requested. Jake trailed behind Beth and Pam with a single blood orchid clutched in his hands.

The entered the small square chamber where Rebecca's stasis chamber laid atop a stone pedestal. Jake had started redesigning it shortly after they'd brought her body back to the manor. The steel plating had been replaced by glass panes that were three times thicker than hospital glass. Gold plating had been placed along the parts where the glass interlocked, and a series of tubes connected to the base of coffin. They pumped in chemicals to preserve her body. Jake had found one of her old gowns, one that she had often favored, and he'd dressed her in it. Rebecca was never ashamed of her body, but he didn't feel right leaving her bare and uncovered for eternity. She deserved to have some respect, even if there were several others who disagreed.

"Master Jake," Bruce acknowledged with a nod as they took their spots around Rebecca's resting place, "I hope everything is to your liking, sir. What little I knew of Miss Rebecca, I believe that this would have been her choice. Miss Lavely provided her fair share of input as well."

"Sure is creepy like her," Beth mumbled and Pam elbowed her, "Ow!"

"Try to be respectful, Kitten," Pam chided, "This isn't for us, it's for Jake. Let's keep that in mind, shall we?"

"Master Jake," Bruce spoke up again, "Would you care to say a few words?"

Jake nodded and shakily approached her coffin. He looked down at her body; her face looked as beautiful as he remembered, and she finally looked like she was at peace. He cleared his throat before speaking, "I know that Rebecca wasn't perfect, I think we all know that. She was a wildfire that burned brightly, took what she wanted, and didn't care about the consequences. As Goth, she was a criminal and a monster, but the woman behind the monster is who we're here to commemorate. Rebecca was a woman who suffered in life, and sought to find a way to rise above the pain in this world. Against all odds, she found a way, and she found me in another time. The price she paid was one that can serve as a reminder to all of us: the cost of pride is often greater than we realize."

"Rebecca fought for what she believed in, even if the rest of the world condemned her for it. Her methods were questionable at best, and horrifying at worst. Despite this, I saw the good within her. It may have been rare, but those moments meant…mean the world to me. Before she left this world, she told me how sorry she was. It took facing death for her to realize just how many mistakes she'd made. She pushed me, and many others for that matter, away out of a selfish need. It wasn't until she was dying that she was able to admit those mistakes. It wasn't that she thought what she was doing was right, it was that she thought the ends justified the means. A woman in more pain than any of us could imagine, a woman who had evil gnawing at her heart, and a woman who only ever wanted to be loved. That is who we are here to remember. Not the monster that we saw, but the woman who suffered through behind that beast."

"Jake, would you mind if I cut in?" Pam asked, feeling his sorrow building and wanting to give him a reprieve.

"Yeah, go ahead," he replied.

"Rebecca was a friend to me when I had no one left in my life," Pam began, stepping forward, "She taught me that there is power greater than myself in this world, and she taught me how to realize my potential. I toiled under her for years, but even as an initiate, she would often take the time to speak with me. She saw within me something that took me years to see. She saw the woman that I am now, and I owe the happiness that I have found to her. It was her that brought the three of us together, and it was her who helped to shape what I have with Beth. She walked with demons by choice, fought against them for lifetimes, but darkness managed to take root despite her best efforts. The memory of the woman I knew is one I will cherish, and that memory is one that I will work to keep alive. A friend, a mentor, and a woman in turmoil, that is who I will remember."

"Well said, Miss Lavely," Bruce said with a nod.

"Before she left us," Jake started, stepping closer and placing a hand on her coffin, "She wanted me to pass along a message to you two. She never got the chance to say it formally, but she wanted to tell you that you were right, Pam. Rebecca was too proud to admit when she was wrong, but she wasn't stupid. She knew that she was wrong, and she wanted me to tell you that you were right. She also wanted me to apologize to Beth for the way she treated you. I knew that she saw you as a threat to her, but I never expected her to want to tell you that she was sorry."

"Ugh, of course she did," Beth grumbled, stepping forward, "Look, I wasn't gonna say anything because I didn't like her, still don't, but Jesus, how can I not now? I never called her by her name, not because I was scared, but because to me she wasn't a person. She was the enemy, and a woman that only wanted to take everything for herself. I hated her, and I never made a secret of it. But, now that she's gone I guess I can say this. I don't have fond memories of her, but Pam is right that we only got together because of her. Maybe she was jealous of me, but I always felt like she hated me. Maybe I was wrong for that, but hearing you two speak…maybe it was just Goth who hated me. Who knows, maybe Rebecca was just scared and alone. I know what that feels like, and I know what that can push someone to become."

"You fight against monsters, and yet you end up becoming one in the process. Somewhere along the way the lines become blurred, and if you don't have someone to pull you back…I guess you turn into something like Goth. The things she did, I won't forgive them or forget them, but maybe she was a product of abuse and hate. She was a victim, from what I understand, but that mentality drove her to want more. I guess there's a lesson in her life about knowing when enough is enough, and when to stop and enjoy what you have. Part of me wishes I could have gotten to know the Rebecca that you two knew, and maybe I wouldn't have such a strong set of feelings towards her."

"Could you have said maybe one more time, dear?" Pam asked with a grin.

"Oh bite me," Beth said with a roll of her eyes, "Jake's the one who's good with rousing speeches and stuff, not me."

"You did fine, Kitten, I'm only teasing," Pam said, stepping closer and taking her hand, "You spoke truth, and I do wish that you could have known the woman behind the mask. I think you may have even liked her a bit."

Jake smiled at them and placed his blood orchid on her coffin. "She was a woman I was proud to know and love," he said, running his hand along the glass one final time, "Despite everything, she helped to make me who I am. I won't say I'm grateful for it, but I will say that I came out stronger. We lost people along the way, but we gained allies and strength. What waits down the road, I can't say for sure, but I know that whatever it is, we'll face it together. From the bottom of my heart, I'm grateful that Rebecca brought us together."

"Well said, Master Jake," Bruce said.

"Indeed," Pam agreed with a nod.

"Yeah, anyone feel like having a drink?" Beth asked, receiving a look from Jake and Pam, "What? Funerals always bum me out, and I've found the best cure is a stiff drink."

"I've got patrol tonight," Jake said.

"Dude, take one night off," Beth said, "Zoey and the rest of the police can handle things for a night. When is the last time that we actually spent time together outside of work?"

Jake hesitated for a moment before conceding, "Alright, fine, count me in, but only if Pam drinks too."

"Why me?" Pam asked, holding a hand to her chest.

"Because I want to see if that posh accent sticks while you're drunk," Jake replied.

"Posh?" Pam repeated, "Just because I annunciate doesn't make me posh. It's not my fault you two don't know civility."

"She gets weird when she drinks," Beth snickered, "Really handsy too, so just a heads up on that."

"I am starting to feel insulted," Pam said with a small grin.

"You know we love you," Beth said, "Come on, let's get out of here already."

"Bruce, would you care to join us?" Jake asked.

"I am curious to see such a refined man with a little spirit in him," Pam remarked.

"My drinking days are far behind me I'm afraid, Master Jake and Miss Lavely," Bruce said, "I'll fetch the scotch and brandy, and I'll prepare a room for Miss Lavely and Miss Thompson."

"Thank you, Bruce," Jake said.

The four of them prepared to leave Rebecca's crypt. Jake trailed behind to give Rebecca's body a parting glance. None of them had any idea what normalcy was, but they'd try to figure it out together. Whatever the city had in store for them, they'd lived through a shared nightmare and come out closer and stronger than ever. The city would undoubtedly return to its old ways sooner than later, but they'd faced down devils time and again since coming together. One night off couldn't hurt, right?

—----------------------

Somewhere deep within the bowels of Metropolis, under the cover of midnight, a young man whimpered in a hotel penthouse. He'd been taken from the streets after a long shift at Blackridge Inc. He had been approached by a rather voluptuous young woman, seduced, and he'd willingly followed her into his current hell. The woman had been a ploy for the nightmare he'd been subjected to over the last several hours. He'd seen things, felt them, that shouldn't have been possible. He told himself he was dreaming, hallucinating, but the longer it had gone on, the worse things had become. His body was spent, and his mind was nearly broken.

"Please," he begged, naked and bloody, "Please, just let me go home."

The young woman who'd approached him originally sauntered forward. Her long black hair fell over her face as she bent down in front of him and smiled devilishly, "Sweet little man, you're not going anywhere until my dear sister has had her fun. Don't fret, little man, she's nearly done, but feel free to scream some more. It is simply music to my ears, and my sister has been practically dying to have some fun."

The large woman returned to the room with a wicked glint in her eyes. The man saw her and began screaming, "Please! Please, just have mercy! No more, no more, please, God, no more!"

"I have missed this," the large woman said with a dark chuckle as she approached, "Struggle for me, little worm. You and I both know that this is what you've craved. I have looked into your soul, and I have seen the darkest corners of your mind. It's often so amusing to see the body's reaction to what the mind conjures up. How often men and women realize that the darkest corners of their minds are best left untouched. Seldom can someone handle the truth of who they are, but every once in a while…I find that one in a million. Unfortunately, you are not it. Still, you've got your uses. Why don't we revisit one of those little corners that you've kept tucked away for so long, hmm?"

"No, no, please, God, no!" he screamed as she got closer and a bubble of blue energy surrounded the two of them.

The woman grinned as she grabbed a glass of brandy that sat on a table close by. She loved her sister dearly and her games, but she was ready for more. She was dying to have her own fun, but the time simply wasn't right. She stepped out onto the balcony of the penthouse with her brandy in hand. She surveyed the skyline of Metropolis and grinned. The way the lights danced in correspondence to the stars obscured by the city smog. Natural and man-made beauty were such a funny thing when they tried to mingle. Such things were never meant to exist, but she was the only one who saw things that way. She chuckled to herself as she took a sip of her brandy.

"Such a pitiful shame that this world is blind," she mused to herself as she tucked her hair behind her ear, "A whole city, a world, filled with lost souls seeking either purpose or power. That wretched nuisance Rebecca played right into my hands, and now she's no longer a threat to our…ambitions. Soon, sweet sister, this world will be ours to have our fun with. All that needs to be done is wait just a bit longer. A few well-placed interventions here and there, a gentle nudge where one is needed, and everything will fall into place. All that's needed is the right pawns, and the proper handling of a world lacking its leash. All will be put right with the world soon. We need only be patient a while longer. The Blackridge name and all associated with it fall into ruin, and I will gladly stand over their broken bodies. They will serve, or they will fall, but the choice is theirs. I, for one, cannot wait to see how this next bit plays out. It's nearly time for the next act…”


© Copyright 2022 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1032287-Epilogue