*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033472-That-First-Step
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2231553
Fictitious and delicious!
#1033472 added June 7, 2022 at 10:04am
Restrictions: None
That First Step
I swear to God that clock is taunting me.

Felicia glanced at the clock. It seemed like the clock hadn't budged from 11:55 AM. The noon interview time had surprised her, but given how the office she stood by was empty, she suspected that the clerk decided to take an early lunch. She traced the obsidian pendant as she waited for their return. The clerk's name was listed on her interview meeting request as Jordan, so she had no idea what she was dealing with. Her father-in-law had no insight when she asked him a couple weeks prior. All Felicia had was a statement regarding why she wanted to be on the advisory board; three tangible goals for her potential term; and references who could speak to her city election work over the last decade and a half.

To her right, Felicia spotted a Black woman in a blue dress walk towards her. She turned to face the approaching woman. Both sets of pumps cracked against the granite tiles that ran throughout city hall, echoing down the corridor that held offices for the mayor and city councilors. Felicia fought to block out the echo.

“Excuse me,” the woman began, “is this the mayor's office?”

Felicia shook her head. “No. I think that's a couple doors down.”

“Oh, okay. Are you waiting for someone?”

“I am. Do you know a Jordan McCready?”

The woman nodded. “I do. I have spoken with her while arranging for the councilors to meet with community groups in the wards.”

“Do you know what her role is with the advisory boards?”

“I believe she selects the candidates for some of the more niche boards as well as screens for the most prominent vacancies. Did you apply to be on a specific board?”

“Disabilities and accessibility,” Felicia told her.

“Oh wow! That board has become more visible in recent years. From what I understand, that board is going to have public hearings to fill its vacancies this year.”

Felicia gulped. “I admit that's news to me.”

“It was a surprise to me as well. I only found out from someone who's currently on the disabilities advisory board.”

“Oh? Who's that?”

“Tracy Bickford. She won't be up for reelection until next year, so she may be at the hearings for the applicants that get through the screening.”

“Ah. Good to know.”

“By the way, I don't think I caught your name.”

“Felicia.”

“Nice to meet you! I'm Stephanie.”

“Hi, Stephanie. We’ll, I should probably keep an eye out for Jordan. My interview should be starting a minute now.”

At that, Stephanie looked over Felicia's shoulder before nodding. “I wish you luck! I think some extra diversity on the board is needed. By the way, if you're in Ward Three, you should try to stop by the next Community Safety meeting. It's on Wednesday evening at the Father Hennepin bandshell.”

“Sounds good.”

With that, Stephanie stepped away to head for the mayor's office. That prompted Felicia to turn around just in time to see another woman walking towards her. The woman's path put her right next to the closed office door Felicia had been standing near.

Showtime.





Entry 1 in "The Bard's Hall Contest June 2022

© Copyright 2022 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033472-That-First-Step