*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033659-Leadership-Down
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2257228
Tales from real life
#1033659 added June 9, 2022 at 2:17pm
Restrictions: None
Leadership Down

Attitudes and expectations are important. A child who has their parents support and great expectations will work harder and do better than one who is neglected and ignored. A people with morally responsible leadership will sacrifice and work for the common good, instead of stooping to greed and shallow self-interest. It's attitude, more than platitude, that makes the difference. The recent historical record of mass shootings bears this out.

There have been mass shootings in the United States ever since repeating arms were invented. They were quite rare, however, until the latter part of the twentieth century when Ronald Reagan ushered in the era of 'greed is good'. Reagan conservatives felt encouraged to act in their own self-interest. The old traditions of honor and sacrifice for one's country fell out of fashion in the wake of the president selling guns and drugs to further his illegal political schemes. And, unlike Nixon, Uncle Ron just smirked and got away with it. A perfect example for those tempted to abuse power.

The rise in gun violence during and after the Reagan years led to a partial ban on assault rifles in 1994. This so-called ban did almost nothing to reduce the number and availability of these weapons, but it did signal an official disapproval of using them. The result was a significant decline in the number of mass shootings and in overall gun violence. A clear indication that leadership matters.

George W. Bush gave an implied approval of assault rifles by allowing the 1994 ban to expire quietly in 2004. His lack of courage led to an immediate spike in gun sales and a swift rise in all categories of gun violence. Mass shootings really took off after Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia rewrote the second amendment in 2008. His moral failing made gun ownership not only a right, but a requirement for flag-pin conservatives. It is not a coincidence that his 2008 ruling ushered in the modern era of school shootings.

Donald Trump's contempt for the law only made matters worse. So much so, that a young man can now illegally obtain an assault rifle, travel hundreds of miles to shoot random people in a crowd, and yet be acquitted of murder. Not only found innocent but hailed as a second amendment hero. The current crop of conservative politicians are venal opportunists who see school shootings as an acceptable cost for their own re-election to congress.

We are often reminded that elections have consequences. Mass shootings, gun violence, and dead children are the natural consequence of electing those who glorify guns. Let your conscience be your guide in the midterm elections. History shows that people follow where they're led. You have a chance to influence that direction. Know that a vote for 'gun rights' will result in more unnecessary deaths. That's simply a fact.


© Copyright 2022 Words Whirling 'Round (UN: tgifisher77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Words Whirling 'Round has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033659-Leadership-Down