*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033748-LAURELS-MORNING-WALK
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2274676
Laurel's journeys as she learns to "go with the flow."
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1033748 added June 14, 2023 at 11:39am
Restrictions: None
LAUREL'S MORNING WALK
Opening her eyes, the sun breaks forth and Laurel hastens to start another day.

Attention drawn to her kitty, Gabriel, she strokes his head and back.

Morning chores are quickly completed:
         --- feeding Gabriel, cleaning his litter box, and
         --- making her own bed.

Sudsing her face, with a quick rinse and pat dry, she brushes her teeth.

Changing into shorts and a t-shirt, she slips on walking shoes.

Then leaving apartment 3512, Laurel meanders down stairs and onto the sidewalk.

With memories of earlier walks, she moves eagerly and briskly towards the front of the complex, passing building after building of apartments.

Senses heightened by the refreshing start of a new day, Laurel hears songbirds, chittering squirrels, squawking crows, ravens, blue jays and sea gulls.

Grounds are littered with majestic palms, oak trees, pink crepe myrtle, birds of paradise and towering bamboo, swaying in the breeze.

As squirrels skitter, wild bunnies hop along through grasses and shrubbery.

Birds seem to be watching from perches on eaves and a-top light poles as Laurel gazes upward.

Today a coral, ring-necked black snake moves seamlessly across the sidewalk, he's less than ten inches long and skinny as a worm, tapering to a pointy tail. She stoops and speaks to him, touching his skin as he wiggles away, into carpet-like grass and out of sight. A watching lady says hello with a wide smile.

And a tiny frog, barely visible, smaller than the smallest spider, springs across the path, oblivious to everything but his intended destination.

Then an every day theme unfolds as the young man with earbuds says, Good Morning, in passing with his pup; and the dancing lady waves, standing unsteady in green grass in a billowing summer dress---her light brownish red hair almost perfectly matches her pooch.

A mother duck marches, ducklings in tow with a chorus of muted quacking.

Back at 3512, Laurel ends her morning walk with smiling satisfaction.



© Copyright 2023 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033748-LAURELS-MORNING-WALK