*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033792-06132022-June-Blogging-with-Andre
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#1033792 added June 14, 2022 at 6:47pm
Restrictions: None
06/13/2022 June Blogging with Andre'
This week you and Andre are in charge of the kid's Summer Camp.
Give us the name of the camp, the age group you're working with, and a bit of background.

signature dancing owl


SUMMER CAMP


SUMMER CAMP WITH COUNSELORS

Andre’ on all 4’s is leaping straight into the open door of Opalescent River Camp.

“Well, the door is open,” I stated, as I pulled boxes of supplies from the back door of the Camp Bus.

Darla and Ned, Darla's tall, lean husband, were ushering children off the bus. The children, there were nine of them; 5 girls and 4 boys, were all carrying stuffed backpacks. I wondered if the backpacks held necessities off the lists I gave their parents, or how much other types of, deemed by the age level necessities, might be in the packs.

One of the boys, Brad, wearing a blue t-shirt, with a soaring eagle on the front stopped by Ned. “That way to those cabins, boys in one, girls in another, take your pick.” Ned pointed to the 4 cabins about 100 feet away.

Four cabins each with a porch, stood ready and waiting. One was forest green, one sky blue, one red, and one a dark brown. Two each, side by side, facing each other with a wide lane down the center.
The camp was situated on a hill with mildly sloping ground toward the river. Then a couple hundred yards of green flat frontage, before you came to the bank of Opalescent. Rows of canoes and kayaks set on racks lined a section of the spacious area.

The children were signed up for 3 days of camping by the local “Y” in Darla's neighborhood. Darla and Ned worked at the Y as counselors and teachers. Ned taught programming for teens. Darla was the crafts instructor on her days off from part-time nursing at a local first aide station.

The three of us had stuffed 3 days with activities for the kids. Plant walks to identify local flora and fauns, safety with kayaks, music with cymbals & thumb pianos, hiking, building bird houses for the summer camp, and stuffing some habitat, ecology knowledge about chimpanzees into the kids, since Andre’ was along to bring exotic interest to the whole trip.

I walked into the main building where Andre’ had disappeared. “ah, ha, the kitchen,” I plopped the grocery box of snacks I was carrying on a counter. Andre’ had his head stuffed in a big refrigerator.

“What’s in there?” I swung the door open wider. There were baskets of lush, red strawberries heaped high on a refrigerator rack. Andre’ was munching on them one at a time.

“Leave some for us,” I grabbed one of his hands and led him away from the frig. “That’s a good idea. Let’s do shortcake for lunch with burgers and hotdogs. A quick meal for today a good start for the week.

Darla walked in with another big box containing paper goods and plastic ware. “Andre’ I’ll start the shortcake. You stack all the paper plates on that island counter over there. That will be our go to place to fill our plates.” The kitchen was on one end of the room the other end was filled with tables and chairs cafeteria style.

“Ken is helping the kids get settled in the cabins. It’s good their age ranges are close, ten and eleven. He is going to escort them around the camp and point out some of the special spots, like where the different trails start. I gave him a map of the camp and adjoining trails. Everyone wants to visit the dock and look at the boats. Did you know there was a small garage behind the main hall. It has some 4-wheelers in it, a gas tank and even a gator with a riding deck for more than one person. Ken called the camp awesome.” Darla laughed.

“Andre’ this box is full of paper cups. Stack them with the plates. You should be good at that since you bar keep.”

Andre’ started jumping up and down screeching chimp talk. Then, he lit out the door.

Darla laughed, then calmly stated. “ He’s going to take the tour of the camp.”

The meal was a late afternoon meal. . After kitchen cleanup, We maneuvered the kids into helping us set up three tents in the center space of the cabins. I claimed one as my personal camping spot. We set up a ring for a fire and found some logs stacked by the main hall that we set up as seats around the fire. The tents were for ambience more than necessity. Darla and Ned were in the biggest tent.

Andre’ had his own tent for sleeping. I actually found a portable tree type setup, with a large round nest attached to it. A really, fine chimp camping spot.

As night fell around us, we discussed the stars we were able to identify. We roasted hotdogs, ate chips, drank water, and Andre’ passed around bananas. I pulled out a laptop went to
https://www.releasechimps.org and read the facts called Chimpanzee society to the group.
After everyone made suggestions we voted. Troy won the vote with his suggestions, Chimps alive. So, now we are the Chimps Alive Campers.

Ned told stories about other camp outs he was a part of, as a child. Getting lost and falling out of a boat brought lots of laughs and kidding.

At about 10p.m. I shooed everyone into their cabins. I reminded them to plug in phones to the furnished WIFI. I could still hear giggles and calls going on with a few “shut up will ya, I’m trying to sleep” I decided not to interfere because they would soon learn how busy we would be the next day and every day.

The camp was surrounded by tall forests and brush. When the sun peaked on the wild horizon the sound of early morning bird song was orchestrated harmony. Darla came out of her tent just as I noticed Andre’ climbing down a big sugar maple on the edge of the clearing. “Hey Andre” wake up the campers for me.” He ran from one cabin window to another screeching Monkey sounds. Ned burst out of the tent, “What the ??”

“Ned no cussing, Ned. Kids, shouted Darla.”

“Oh Yeah.”

Breakfast in the main house was rowdy. Up turned cereal bowls, pancakes sailing through the air. We decided a two hour hike was the right thing to do. I passed out paper with plant facts, plant names, and descriptive drawings. They were looking for trout lily, cotton grass, buckhorn, wild ginger, and anything they decided wasn’t poisonous. I handed out three plant field guides and pencils. “Andre is going along. Stay on the marked trails. Be sure you are back in two hours.

Darla astonished said, “Are you sure that’s wise?”

Andre’s with them. You can’t lose Andre’ in a forest. Besides the trails are circular they all lead back to the camp.

Two hours later Dana emerged from the Herb Forest trail. Ned spied her first. “Are you alone?”

Dana started waving both hands in the air. “We need your help. Andre’ climbed a tree. He climbed up really high. Troy tried to climb up like Andre’ did. Now he’s stuck. Andre’ and troy are sitting on a limb together.”

Ned pulled a small rope ladder out of his tent. It was light weight in spite of its’ long length.
“Show me where.” The two of them went back into the forest.

“Hi guys what are you doing up there? “

“It was easy to get up here but the limbs seem smaller now, shouted Troy.

“Andre come down now.”

“Don’t leave me?”,

“Andre has to come down first because he knows the way down.”

“O.K.”

“Andre, one limb at a time. No swinging down Monkey style.”

“Andre, smiled like only a Chimp can smile. He even chuckled and laughed.

“See him, Troy, he’s funning you. He got you stuck cause he thinks its funny. You can get down easy. Show him how Andre” or I’ll eat your supper for you.”

“After that it was pretty easy,” said Ned as he related the story to us. And, Andre gave Troy a kiss and a hug, when they reached the ground.

That’s good. I think you ought to clue the kids into Andre’s love for Banana Daiquiri tonight at camp fire time. We don’t want him sharing his drinks with juveniles.

“Your right. I’ll do that and keep an eye out too, the rest of the trip.

Kids, grab your suits, There is an inlet where people swim down the second trail to the left. Darla and I will go too. While Apondia gets lunch.

I’m going to help get lunch,” stated Shirley,

“Are You sure? Can you swim? Ned can help if you need tips.”

“Naw I took lessons. I’ll go next time.”\

“O.K., Can you peel potatoes?

Shirley and I made potato salad. I got out a canned ham. Once the ham was sliced we put out carrot sticks and yes, more bananas, and cold water bottles from the frig. We were just finishing up when the Chimps Alive Campers came back wet. After changing in cabins and hanging out wet wear on lines they all tumbled into the kitchen ready for lunch.

One announcement: There is a computer room down there. I pointed at a door at the end of the room. Ned has some directions for making a jack-in-the-box work with programming. Also, after the learning session you can email your parents. After that there is a free time until snacks and campfire. If you found any plants, I want a report at campfire. Work on yours camping journals during free time or after campfire if you want.

Ned knows how to work a room of kids, so lots of laughter accompanied the programming of the Jack-in-the-Box.
Toby showed up later with a scrape on his arm from his tree climb which Darla fixed with antibiotic cream and band aide. Shirley won the Jack-in-the-box metal for programming skills. Also, earned the Knick-name nerd.

At campfire that night, Ned handed Sue a metal on a chain for pulling Jason out of the water, when he seemed to be under too long. Jason insisting he was fine.

Brad came to campfire with a whole list of Herbs and plants they had identified on the trail. He had done an exceptional job of listing them in his journal. One more metal on display.

Day two. A serious hike in the morning. Ned and I went along. Darla worked kitchen duty. We explored the forest noting trees and plants. We took the longest trail. Ned found a short cut into the forest and off the trail cutting across from one trail to another. Andre’ was there swinging above us from one tree to another. The kids were thrilled to see how easily he traversed the high way of canopy. We stopped along the trail for water and snacks.

Lunch was amazing. Darla made strawberry dumplings. Mashed potato with cheese and herbs and a meatloaf. We were stuffed. We had rest time after lunch. Then, kayak and canoe lessons all after noon.

By evening a storm came up so we pulled chairs into a circle in the main hall. I read more rescue stories of Chimps, while we snacked on chips, energy bars, bananas, and fruit juices.

It was a really quiet night. No one heard Bryan, Chad, and Troy sneak out. When they did not show up for breakfast, Ned began to worry. He sent Andre’ out to look then Andre” did not come back. It was time for lunch.

Ned called in the forest patrol. Ned explained about Andre.” The forest patrol looked perplexed but, promised not to freak if they came upon him suddenly. The kids broke into two groups one went with me, one went with Darla. Ned struck out on a trail by himself. We all went into the woods.

After about 45 minutes Shirley, Jenny, Tim and I decided we were on a trail no one had traveled in the last two days. We were climbing a hill when I thought I heard a Chimp squeal. “Quiet, listen.”

Everyone listened intently, then I heard another shriek this one louder. “ I shouted, Andre’?” There was a rustling coming fast toward us in the upper part of trees. Andre dropped down from above,

He grabbed me around the waist and shrieked. I said, "Calm down, calm down." Instead he jumped up and down pointing and shrieking. I wished I had Darla to interpret.
"
Did you find the boys?" He did stop screaming. And nodded solemnly. Now we were getting somewhere.

"Are they very far from here?" He nodded no. I said, "Take us to them." He, nodded no and pointed at the kids. "You won’t take the kids?" No.

“ I tried my phone. No signal. “Shirley, can you get back to camp from here?"

"I think so."

"Go Back. Keep trying to call Ned on your phone. Maybe you will get a signal part way back. See if you can explain where we are. I’m going with Andre.”

The three children started back. Andre’ swung into the trees. " Hey! I have to go on foot,"

I yelled to him, "Don’t go to far ahead."

We started climbing up a hill. It got really steep in places but there was a lot of small trees to hang onto so I managed to keep climbing. Andre’ dropped down. He was real quiet. He motioned with his finger to his lips. " Shhh!"

The trees had thinned. There were boulders and big rocks. I looked around. I noticed Andre’ hiding behind a tree. Then, above me I could see a path which looked like it led to a cave. “Andre’ are they in there?”

He shook his head. " Yes.”

Then he pointed to one big rock above the cave opening. The cat was large, tawny, and beautiful.

I yelled, "Quick Andre’ up a tree." He swung up really high and clung to the tree.
“I yelled again. Toby, Bryan, Chad are you in the cave?"

With the sound of my shout the cougar sat up and yowled, a high whiney sound.

Toby answered, "yeah, we can’t get out. There’s a cougar kitten in here, in the doorway.”

Oh bother, I thought. You know how you have odd thoughts in a crisis. I thought what would Winnie the Pooh do? Wish I had some honey.

Of course, the children made contact. Ned came with the rangers. LOUD CHIMP SCHREECHES, banging on trees and yelling unsettled the mom cougar. She moved off a way.

A ranger went up with a rope and lassoed the rowdy kitten pulled him out. The kids ran down the path. The rangers turned the cub loose and ran our way. The mom was reunited with kit. We all trudged back to camp. Where everyone ate food and discussed the wayward children and other parts of the adventure.

Everyone went home the next day.

We all lived happily ever after??? AS Far As I Know.????

THE END.


WDC word count = 2526















© Copyright 2022 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033792-06132022-June-Blogging-with-Andre