*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034770-B1---Dropping-the-Kid-Gloves
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nonsense · #2274912
For entries to the Wonderland Writing Activity 2022.
#1034770 added July 7, 2022 at 3:36pm
Restrictions: None
B1 - Dropping the Kid Gloves
Alice pushed open the door of the first shop in a row of three.

"I wish to buy a new frock please." As her frock gave a bounce, then a flounce. Looking down she added, "One that doesn't do that unannounced."

"You've come to just the right place." Said and eager young man, with an enormous quiff, slick with Brilliantine. He looked her up and down thoughtfully.

"How about something in the Gothic Lolita line? Very popular in Japan, very 'kawaii'.

Alice's face spoke at length about her general and specific opinions about THAT suggestion.

"Perhaps not," said the young man quickly. "How about this." He offered a frock bedecked with diamonds, spades, clubs and hearts.

"No thank you." Said Alice.

"No? Then perhaps this one." This frock was picked out with bishops, knights and rooks, with pawns on the petticoat.

"I don't think so. Don't you have anything that isn't derivative?"

"Oh no, you should have said, you'll want next door." The young man said, ushering her out.

As Alice opened the door to the second shop, she was greeted in the following manner.

"My dear, come in. I can see you now, dressed as a soft boiled egg, with a toasted soldier dipped in."

Stepping carefully back, Alice closed the door behind her. "I don't think so." She muttered under her breath.

With dwindling hope, she tried the third door.

A large lady, with a pince-nez exclaimed.

"Blue suits you. I think we'll keep the blue." She walked around Alice, inspecting her closely, and sucking what smelled to be a mint humbug.

"Military chic I think." The lady pronounced. She took a folded blue hat, pressed it out and perched it on Alice's head.

"Do you know anything about Dieselpunk?" She enquired, as she moved around the shop picking out items in air-force blue.

"Nothing at all." Said Alice, as she found herself being shooed into a changing room.

Stepping out of the changing room, Alice examined her reflection in the full length mirror.

She wore an ankle length coat that swirled as she moved. It has deep pockets, and wide cuffs, the collar was huge and had it's own buckle. It came with a belt, and the belt had lots of useful attachments. There were two rows of silver buttons down the front.

Her shoes were replaced with shiny black knee high boots, and beneath the coat she wore a long dress that was made of silk the colour of silver. It was lightweight, soft and warm.

Turning back and forth, Alice announced.

"I like this. I'll take it." Then she reached for her purse.


WORD COUNT & PROMPT

© Copyright 2022 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034770-B1---Dropping-the-Kid-Gloves