*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035895-Risk-Assessment
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2257228
Tales from real life
#1035895 added July 30, 2022 at 8:38pm
Restrictions: None
Risk Assessment

How far would you go to save a child's life? Would you enter a burning building to rescue a baby? Would you strap your toddler into a child seat while riding in a car? Would you make yourself a human shield in the midst of a school shooting? Most parents would take on enormous risk to protect their children.

Most, but not all. One of the main arguments for gun ownership is self-defense. The 'open carry' and 'stand your ground' proponents feel that it's too risky to face the world unarmed. I can't argue that the world is risk-free or that a gun is never used in legitimate self-defense, but accidental gun deaths far outnumber self-defense incidents. Statistically, it's easy to show that universal access to guns actually kills more people than it saves.

So far in 2022, 209 children (age 0-17) have died by gunshot and an additional 519 have been injured. Those are kids who didn't have to die. They were shot because their parents refused to take the risk of living without guns. Even though the chance of actually needing a gun for self-defense is extremely low.

I urge everyone to be brave and accept the risk of living life unarmed. It's not a difficult choice. It's not like urging people to give up cars. We accept traffic fatalities because life without owning a car is unthinkable. Life without owning a gun wouldn't even make a noticeable difference.

Let's follow the lead of the more civilized countries in the world and take a stand against gun violence. A stand to protect our children. As a loving and responsible parent, aren't you willing to take a little risk?

© Copyright 2022 Words Whirling 'Round (UN: tgifisher77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Words Whirling 'Round has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1035895-Risk-Assessment