*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036384-Laws-are-for-Little-People
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2257228
Tales from real life
#1036384 added August 12, 2022 at 3:16pm
Restrictions: None
Laws are for Little People

What's the difference between not paying taxes and shoplifting from Target? Both are technically illegal, and both are quite common, but there's a huge difference in how these crimes are perceived.

On the one hand, we have rich, old white guys who profit from the infrastructure, economic strength, and customer base provided by American freedom. For example, Bill Gates didn't create billions of dollars by himself, he collected billions from an affluent society that could afford his product. But he at least acknowledges the idea of giving back. Not by paying taxes, of course, but his charitable foundation does some good. Bill Gates, however, is the exception. Most of the wealthy elite feel entitled to take billions in revenue but feel no obligation to contribute anything to the system that feeds their success. They use charitable causes to avoid taxes or even to enrich themselves at the expense of gullible supporters. These career criminals are highly respected, held up as self-made heroes, and are even elected to the highest office. Protecting the rich from taxes has become the cornerstone of conservative politics.

On the other hand, there are the lower-class ethnic types who are bold enough to dash out of the store with merchandise they didn't pay for. They feel entitled to take what they need to feed their drug habit, or their kids, without working to enrich those old white guys who are selling them their beer, cigarettes, and opioids. These self-made entrepreneurs have found a daring way to beat the system that holds them in perpetual poverty, but they get no respect. Instead, shooting despicable protest looters has become a heroic part of the conservative agenda.

The only real difference between looting Target and looting government is who commits the crime. And perhaps in the lies they tell to justify their bad behavior. Lies such as 'stickin' it to the man' or 'it's just good business'. When my dad caught me in a lie he'd say, "You can go to hell for lying just like you can for stealing." Why would we admire those who do both? And don't forget that tax cheats come in all sizes. The next time someone boasts about how they 'put one over' on the IRS, picture them sneaking out of Target with a laptop under their jacket. It's the same sin in the sight of God.

I'm in favor of prosecuting shoplifters who steal bits and pieces. I'm even more in favor of prosecuting the smug bastards who steal billions. But ironically, justice belongs to those who don't pay for it.

© Copyright 2022 Words Whirling 'Round (UN: tgifisher77 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Words Whirling 'Round has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036384-Laws-are-for-Little-People