*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037306-Rescue-Mission
Rated: 18+ · Book · Community · #2257034
Birthday Bash Relay. Excited on Second Place! Now for various WDC contests and activities
#1037306 added September 4, 2022 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
Rescue Mission
He tiptoed downstairs, and shuffled his way to the front door. He knew the front door squeaked unless opened just so, and he was filled with relief at managing the manoeuvre. He slunk outside, slipping the 'welcome' mat as a wedge so that the door didn't slam shut.

It was dark outside. He could just see by the light of the single streetlamp across the road. He sneaked over to the garbage can.

It was then that the voice spoke. “You are being watched.”

He froze. He wasn't even breathing. “You are being watched.”

"Who?" he managed to gasp.

"Me."

He turned quickly.

It was a bear.

A real, live bear. His fourth grade teacher had told him that this wasn't bear country. It couldn't be a bear. But it was a bear.

"What?"

"We look out for our own, we bears. We know your Mom threw your teddy bear today. We were going to rescue it from the garbage can ourselves."

"You don't need to, I'm going to rescue teddy and give him a bath and keep him forever."

"That's lovely."

"Teddy is my friend, even if Mom says he's old and torn and of no use. Friends are always of use."

"Yes, they are. And from now on, you're a Bear-Friend. The bears will always look out for you."

The bear remained at the back of the toy cupboard till the child passed it on to his own son ...


All Words: 241
Winner, "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge

© Copyright 2022 THANKFUL SONALI Now What? (UN: mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
THANKFUL SONALI Now What? has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037306-Rescue-Mission