*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037447-Romulan-Ale
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2279836
The Bar on the Edge of Forever
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1037447 added September 7, 2022 at 10:38pm
Restrictions: None
Romulan Ale
Romulan Ale


1 cup Blue Curacao
1 cup vodka (unflavored)
1 cup white rum
2 cups clear lemon-lime soda (Sprite, 7-Up, Sprite Zero, etc.)
2 cups club soda
1 cup tonic water

Pour all ingredients into a growler. Cap it and gently tilt once to mix, then refrigerate until chilled. Serve in a clear glass without ice.

Or the closest we can get to it without trading with the Romulans


Notes:

The quintessential Star Trek drink, this stuff is technically illegal in the Federation, and for good reason.

This is my official Star Trek Day (September 8) drink, and I'll also usually whip up a batch whenever a new series or movie comes out.

Other recipes for Romulan Ale can be found elsewhere (this is the one   I derived the recipe from). None of them worked well for me, so I made my own modifications. A little Blue Curacao goes a long way, and I believe that these proportions create a poured product that best reflects the bright blue coloration shown in the series.

The combination of BC and Sprite tends to make a drink that's on the sweet side; the addition of club soda and tonic water tends to cut that sweetness a bit, while maintaining a delicate effervescence that justifies the term "ale." Obviously, tastes differ, and you can experiment like I did—but be aware that apart from the BC, every other ingredient should be clear so that the bright blue color can be properly displayed in the final product. You can even try flavored vodka, but do so at your own risk. Also, these quantities nicely fill up a growler.

It's not meant to be consumed all at once. Because a growler is designed to maintain its contents' carbonation, any leftovers can be placed back in stasis (that is, refrigerated) for a few days, but any longer than that and you do risk losing the fizz—though it's still tasty.

One final note: You can mix this with absinthe in a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 (add some ice or use chilled absinthe); this is called a Cloaking Device. The result, when mixed, displays a fascinating blue-green color not found anywhere else in the quadrant, but be warned: this can cause a warp core breach.
© Copyright 2022 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037447-Romulan-Ale