*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037917
Rated: E · Book · Community · #2275701
Interviews with Quill Winners!
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1037917 added September 20, 2022 at 12:02pm
Restrictions: None
A. E. Willcox
Brian ~ Kognitive DissonanCe had the opportunity to chat with A E Willcox ; who was among those honored in the 2021 Quill Awards.

Here are the items she received recognition for in the last award year:


Best Chapter:
*Trophyg* "Ajorian. Chapter 1: Blood - Winner

Best Non-Fiction Prose:
*Trophyg* "36 Amateur Writers' Mistakes - Winner

Best Raffle/Auction:
"Stardust Auction - nominated

Best Image/C-Note:
Sparkle   - nominated
You're Special   - nominated

Best Reviewing:
Nominated

Best Community:
"Stardust Auction - nominated

Best Action/Adventure (Genre):
*Trophys* "Ajorian. Chapter 1: Blood - Honorable Mention

Best Drama (Genre):
*Quill* "Ajorian. Chapter 1: Blood - Finalist

Best Fantasy (Genre):
*Trophyg* "Ajorian. Chapter 1: Blood - Winner
*Quill* "36 Amateur Writers' Mistakes - Finalist
"Stardust Auction - nominated

Best Sci-Fi (Genre):
"36 Amateur Writers' Mistakes - nominated



Special thanks to Amanda, for taking the time to share her response to the accolades, what inspires her, and where her writing goes from here.

*QuestionO* Congratulations on the success of your writing in 2021. How long have you been a member of Writing.Com?

Amanda: I joined on the 24th of September 2010 but didn't actually post anything until the 18th of April 2011 because I was rather intimidated by the site and rather shy about sharing my writing. My first item posted was "The Halls of Neptune


*QuestionO* What has it been like writing and sharing in the WDC community?

Amanda: Once I got going I rather enjoyed joining groups, entering contests, and reviewing.


*QuestionO* Has anything changed you as a writer here?

Amanda: I definitely think my writing has developed and improved thanks to the input of some very talented members who have published books so are au fait with what is required.


*QuestionO* You’ve been here a long time. In what ways has WDC affected how you express your craft?

Amanda: I think the opportunity to both review my peers and be reviewed by them. Doing reviews of others' writing help to clarify what does or doesn't work with one's own writing.


*QuestionO* The 2021 Quill Awards were announced in May. Your 2021 first chapter ("Ajorian. Chapter 1: Blood) was among the entries nominated. What was your reaction to the Quills, how do you feel looking back on it all now?

Amanda: It is always an honour to get something nominated. It means there is at least one kind member who appreciates your work and that's heart-warming if nothing else.


*QuestionO* Let's talk about that first chapter, its success, and what has made it so special.

Amanda: I don't know about being special. I did work hard on it trying to put everything I've learned about what makes a great opening chapter into practice. I pay attention to what good reviewers say as well as watch YouTube to get professional editors' advice as to what they look for and what they reject.


*QuestionO* Do you see yourself published in the future with this, or have been?

Amanda: I would like to try to get traditionally published if I can but am open to self-publishing when I feel I'm ready. Although with regard to self-publishing, there are millions of self-published books out there so getting noticed by readers would be a challenge.


*QuestionO* Do you find the Quills important to this community, and in what way?

Amanda: I think it is wonderful for members who have worked hard on their writing and community activities to be recognized by the community. I have no idea if it does, but I think it should provide a benchmark for new members – something to aspire towards.


*QuestionO* What about exposure from the Quills and its impact on writers?

Amanda: I'm not sure how many members vote for the nominated items. I can't speak for other members, but I personally haven't acquired many new fans after nominations or wins so I'm not sure how much of an impact the Quills have on the community as a whole. It seems to be more or less the same people every year who get nominations. There are very few newbies who seem to get any nominations. I don't know whether that is down to a lack of exposure to the whole site or because most are just starting out on their writing journey.


*QuestionO* Have writing activities like contests inspired your output?

Amanda: Sometimes. I keep a look out for contests that have prompts I feel I can work with.


*QuestionO* Fantasy can be a wide arena with many sub-genres. Do you find yourself rubbing elbows with
a group of similar writers or writers in general with interests and goals alike? And how supportive is the experience?


Amanda: Fantasy does indeed cover a whole raft of other genres. I wish more people here who write fantasy stories would incorporate other genres like murder/mystery, history, crime/gangster, and thriller rather than focussing on the usual war and supernatural aspects like fairies, elves, vampires, etc. It is important with fantasy, due to the fact it is unreal, to have verisimilitude. i.e. the characters, settings, etc should feel real. It isn't true that with fantasy you can have anything happen and it doesn't have to make sense. The story must have strong characters and internal logic or readers can't suspend their disbelief and get immersed.


*QuestionO* Many people peruse your portfolio to experience you/your ideals, accomplishments, and interests. Can you point to anything that best intones Amanda Willcox as a writer/human?

Amanda: My portfolio is open to all members to browse, read my stories, poetry, and articles, and to shop in my C-Note shops and "Flight of Fantasy Signature Shop. I wish all visitors to my portfolio would leave a message in my visitors' book, but I guess a lot of people like to lurk anonymously and not leave a review either, lol.

I don't think there is any one thing in my portfolio that describes me best. I'm a creative person in general, so my work needs to be taken as a whole. I'm not a one-trick pony.


*QuestionO* What’s been your favorite feedback on what you’ve offered here?

Amanda: It's hard to pick a single favourite review. I think the most helpful reviews for stories I've received are mostly from members from the UK e.g. HollyMerry , Choconut , and Christopher Roy Denton . I think this is because they don't struggle with my spelling and syntax. Also reviewers from Canada: eyestar~* and from the US Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈 who also 'get' my writing.


*QuestionO* How can one make an impact as a WDC member while still growing and achieving goals?
Any advice for writers who want to make a difference here or in the world with writing?


Amanda: I suppose the obvious answer to both questions is to do reviews and participate in contests and activities.

It is amazing what one can learn by reading and reviewing others' writing. You can see what works and doesn't work and apply that knowledge to your own writing. I can't stress enough how important it is to read lots of published work, both in the genre you want to write and other genres too. There is always more to learn.



*QuestionO* What authors and/or books do you recommend in your genre(s), or in general?

Amanda: I won't supply an exhaustive list because there are just too many great authors out there so I'll limit my list to those writers I think had the biggest impact on my own writing.

Fantasy Humour – Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels

Classic Fantasy – J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, Geroge R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia

Fantasy Dark – Mervin Peake's Gormenghast series

Fantasy Grimdark – Joe Abercrombie's First Law series.

Science Fiction – Frank Herbert's Dune Series.

Historical – Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels; Bernard Cornwell's Sharp Series; Conn Iggulden's novels.

Classic Literature – Jane Austin, Emily Bronte, Charles Dickens, William Shakespeare

Thrillers/Mystery/Crime – James Patterson's novels; Minette Walters's novels.



*QuestionO* Any advice for passionate writers that might benefit from direction or outcomes with writing?

Amanda: My advice for anyone who is serious about their writing and wants to publish is to read and review lots, and watch writing advice videos on YouTube (See:SPAMMER). There are lots of great tips out there. Also, enter writing contests here on WdC!


*QuestionO* Who are some of your favorite writers at WDC?

Amanda: I have several but don't want to name anyone in case I miss someone out.


*QuestionO* What are some of your favorite activities here?

Amanda: I participate in auctions, raffles, and contests from time to time. There aren't any other current activities that inspire me to participate.


*QuestionO* What contest or activity doesn’t get noticed enough and needs more participation?

Amanda: It seems, apart from WdC's official contests most member contests don't get a lot of entries these days. I also run "A Writing Exercise. It has a lot of views, but not many people have posted a scene for review. It is meant to help improve writing techniques. I'm glad to say that at least one person who attempted the exercise and got reviews has said he'd benefited from doing so - Bikerider .


*QuestionO* Are you up for any more Quills in 2022?

Amanda: I think I have one item so far.


Thank you again, Amanda!

If you are interested in learning more about A E Willcox and her WdC contributions, please visit her port.

Here are some links you may find especially exciting:

Flight of Fantasy Signature Shop  [E]
Ready-made and custom, still and animated images and signatures.
by A E Willcox

Flight of Fantasy Review & Gift Shop  [E]
Fiction story reviews, MBs and Gift Certificates for you or as a gift for a friend
by A E Willcox

A Writing Exercise  [18+]
If you want to improve your story writing, overcome writer's block or just practice
by A E Willcox

36 Amateur Writers' Mistakes   [13+]
Aspects of story craft to work on if you want to pro-publish or to sell if self-published
by A E Willcox

C-Note Shop Emporium  [E]
All my C-Note collections in one place
by A E Willcox

Articles  [13+]
Articles and non-fiction items
by A E Willcox


divider for pages

If you want to recognize members for outstanding offerings at WDC,
you may nominate them by clicking on this link:
"Quill Nomination Form 2024





Interview conducted by Brian ~ Kognitive DissonanCe - August 2022
© Copyright 2022 Lilli 🧿 ☕ (UN: lilli_in_fl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lilli 🧿 ☕ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1037917