*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
7
10
11
12
13
16
17
18
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038276
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2180093
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#1038276 added September 30, 2022 at 12:01pm
Restrictions: None
Assertiveness
Previously: "Cheerleaders and Charity

[Text by rugal]

Having the extra money would certainly be nice. After all, if you're going to do whatever spells there are in the book -- and with the size that could definitely be quite a lot -- then you're going to eventually need more of it anyway as your own supply from over the summer is starting to run low.

But you do still have some money for now while you have no idea who these girls even are. They're juniors, orchestra members and they give you the same kind of smarmy and prissy vibe that you get from Kelsey Blankenship. You certainly can't imagine that she would ever give you money to do work for her. Hell, she'd probably believe that being able to do something for her would be a privilege in and of itself.

So figuring that these girls would be just as likely to string you along, you decide to turn them down.

"Not that I don't appreciate the offer," you say, "but I really only agreed to help out Yumi at, uh, lunch."

"We're offering to pay you," Kennedy huffs, "and you're really going to turn that down?" She looks you up and down and shakes her head. "Wouldn't you want to have some extra money so you can buy some new clothes or something?"

Well that just about tears it and if you hadn't already made up your mind then Kennedy's snooty attitude would've made it up for you. As is, it just reinforces your decision not to get involved with both Kelsey Jr. and La Hija del Kelsey.

"Look, I'm fine," you respond with as much forceful conviction as you can muster. "I agreed to help out Yumi and I helped her out. That's the end of it." With that you turn and head back to your truck but not before looking over at Yumi. "So, you still want to get some coffee?" you ask.

Maybe it's because you're still worked up but you can't help but feel like that was said a little more directly, maybe even rudely, than you intended. However you don't really care at this point since much as you really want to hang out with Yumi she is the one who roped you into dealing with these snobs in the first place.

"Uh, yeah, sure," she says with what sounds like mixed surprise and confusion. "Is Starbucks fine?"

"That works," you say rather brusquely. And that's all you say, too, as you march towards your truck, turn on the ignition and head out onto Borman.

* * * * *

The Starbucks isn't particularly packed but neither is it empty, either. A steady stream of people are in and out as Yumi and you grab your drinks and find a seat at a small table. You watch quietly as Yumi taps at her phone and, after a moment or two and seemingly satisfied, places it down on the table.

"You know, you really surprised me back there," she says.

"Surprised how?" you ask.

"With Naomi and Kennedy," she answers.

Your expression sours. "Oh, yeah," you grumble. "Sorry if I pissed off your friends."

Yumi, however, shakes her head. "No, it's fine. They're not really my friends, I just know them from orchestra," she says. "Trust me, I know how they are."

"They seem so haughty," you complain. "Like they reminded me of Kelsey and those other snobs. Like, what did they think I was going to do when they talked to me like that."

To your surprise Yumi lightly laughs. "That's not really that far off and that's why I was surprised," she says. "Honestly, I kind of figured that you'd have gone off with them."

"Why's that?"

Yumi says nothing for a moment and simply takes a sip of her latte. "Truth be told, you've always come off as kind of rabbity, Will. You know, like you're always nervous and, uh, easy pickings for the more assertive types," she states.

That's nothing that surprises you but it certainly feels like a blow given that it's coming from Yumi, someone who you'd like to think you're on friendly terms with and who's, well, beautiful. You can still hardly believe that you're spending an afternoon with her, sitting here at a table in a coffee shop, just the two of you. With amusement, you bet that Caleb and Keith will probably be really jealous when you tell them tomorrow.

"When they started trying to offer you money I kind of figured you'd just wilt," she continues.

"Ah, yeah, well I did consider it for a split second," you admit, "but they just kept reminding me so much of Kelsey that I guess I started getting kind of pissed so, you know..." you trail off; now you kind of feel bad. "Sorry if I was, you know, acting like a dick towards you too. You know, if it felt like I was forcing you to come out here with me."

"It's fine, I did offer to hang out and honestly, I kind of dragged you into my thing for the same reason Naomi and Kennedy were trying to," Yumi says. You feel bad about that but you notice Yumi give you a small smile as she continues. "But trust me Will, that assertiveness you showed earlier? You should keep it up."

"Keep it up? Why?"

"Because," she says coyly, "girls definitely find a guy much more attractive when he shows a little backbone."

* * * * *

Unfortunately for you it's only a few minutes later when she checks her phone and tells you that she has to meet up with some of her friends, probably Cindy and some of the other cheerleaders you'd guess. She says that she'll see you at school and you're left to ruminate on what she'd said to you a few minutes earlier, about showing backbone. You sit there for a little bit and briefly you wonder if she was talking about girls in general or maybe a specific girl; maybe herself.

But you brush that thought aside and eventually, after finishing your own coffee, push yourself up and toss out the cup. It's as you're passing by the counter that you hear someone call out to you. You look over and are surprised by who you find.

"Hey man, I didn't know you worked here!" you say in surprise to the person behind the counter. You walk up and give them a fist bump.

Justin Carr was someone you hung out with last year. You wouldn't say that you were close friends with him but you and him ran in the same circles as he was buddies with James Lamont and Carson Ioeger. He was a year ahead of you, having graduated back in May, so you're surprised he even remembers you.

"Yep, Connor too," Justin replies, referring to his close friend and another member of that circle.

"He around?"

"Worked the earlier shift," Justin says before leaning in. "More importantly Prescott, you're going all out as a senior, huh? I mean, Yumi Saito, of all people? How'd you land that?"

You're taken aback by his assumption. "Uh, no, we're not going out or anything," you admit, "she was just paying me back for helping her with something earlier. I'm surprised you even remember her."

"It hasn't been that long, Prescott and besides," he grins, "it's kinda hard to forget a girl like that. She still doing gymnastics?"

"Yeah, well, I'm sure she's forgotten all about you," you joke. "And she's a cheerleader now, actually. so it's not like I'd have a chance with her anyway."

"A cheerleader, huh? Well, why not?"

"Dude... she's way out of my league!" you exclaims. "Plus, she was kind of implying she likes, you know, guys with backbone."

"Oh yeah, you definitely haven't changed, Prescott. You still way overthink things," Justin says. "But hey, me and Justin are doing a little get together at our place on Friday. A few friends, maybe James and Carson and some of the old crew too. You wanna come?"

"Uh, maybe," you say before nodding, "What the hell? Not like I've got anything going on."

"Right on. Tell Caleb," he leans in and smiles at you, "tell Yumi. Hell, tell all the cheerleaders. Having some girls like that over isn't going to hurt."

You're taken aback by that. "You're just fucking with me," you state dismissively. "Like I can invite someone like Yumi to a party."

"I mean it'd take a lot of backbone to invite a cheerleader out to a party right?" The thought hangs there for a moment before he dismisses it. "But seriously, come out, have some fun. It'll be good to catch up."

* * * * *

Your mom asks you why you're late getting home and when you tell her it was because you were helping a friend transport some stuff for the charity drive she says that a schoolmate called about that as well and that you should gather up old stuff you don't need.

You start poking around in your room for any old clothes you haven't worn in a long time to throw into the box your mom handed you. As you do, you keep thinking about having spent the afternoon with Yumi and how good it felt to be acknowledged directly by her like that. Not that she's a bitch or ignores you but she's always been more Jenny's friend who hangs around at lunch every few days and not your friend directly. This was probably the first real one on one interaction you've had with her.

You come back to Justin's words, that it would show a lot of spine inviting someone like her out to a party. You can't really deny that it's wrong nor can you deny that it probably would be better if you started being more assertive, less jumpy. Maybe you should invite Yumi out to that party or maybe...

Your eyes go to your bed where your backpack rests... with the book in it. You'd wanted to get a mask of Yumi but the opportunity never presented itself. But what if instead of getting a mask, you showed her the book? Made it some little secret between the two of you. That'd be just as impressive, right?

Actually, you're probably being ridiculous in fantasizing about either one.

Next: "Of Paralysis and Procrastination

© Copyright 2022 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038276