*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039232-Reformation
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1039232 added October 15, 2022 at 12:01am
Restrictions: None
Reformation
Wrapping up October's "Journalistic Intentions [18+] with a blind quote.

"It is important to start socializing the idea of reforms now—sometimes they are upon us quicker than we think."


I have no idea what this is in reference to, and I don't want to look it up to do this entry. It's called a blind quote for a reason. I'm going to go ahead and assume it's referring to something in the US, though.

Consequently, no matter to what it refers, half the country stopped reading at "socializing" and immediately dismissed anything else. "Sounds like soshulizm to me."

I considered listing some issues that might need reform here, but there are so many things in that category in the US that it might be easier to list the things that are not in need of reform.

And if I had given myself more time, I might even be able to think of one. Thing is, when something is going right, we tend not to worry about it too much. This was the case with (yes, I'm going here) abortion laws, until suddenly it wasn't going right and it became something in need of reform.

The other problem with listing the things I think do need reform is that, inevitably, listing them creates the implication of some sort of order. Like, even if I say "in no particular order," whatever I list first will stick in a reader's mind as my top priority. If I say "police" first, you'll think that's at the top of my mind, for example. And now you probably already think it's police.

It is not.

And it's not like fixing one thing would make everything else fall into place. Well, with one possible exception: elections.

But that's still not the foremost problem on my mind.

Nor is education, nor space exploration, nor even the imminent threat of nuclear war. Not health care delivery (actual health care, now that I think of it, is one thing we do right—for those who can afford it). Not animal cruelty, not the environment, not climate change, not energy, not terrorism (domestic or otherwise), not gun violence. Even the problem of homelessness isn't the top issue for me; neither is inflation. Or the looming recession. Or living wages, or the existence of tipping, or lack of religious freedom. Racism (both systemic and personal), a general lack of affordable housing, Twitter, regressive drug laws (especially the continuing illegality of cannabis at the federal level), private prisons, infrastructure rot, drought, political corruption, and far more issues are certainly important, but again, I wouldn't put any of them at #1.

No, the biggest issue needing reform right now is the severe lack of beer in my refrigerator.

Fortunately, that one's easily solved, unlike these others, and I will do so later today.

What? With enough beer, I can pretend that these other problems don't exist.

Okay, now that I'm done, I'm going to Google the blind quote.

Huh. Supreme Court term limits and related reforms.

Just goes to show that, even when sober, I can't think of everything.

© Copyright 2022 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039232-Reformation