*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040051-Day-31-Plot-Premise-revision
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #2281958
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1040051 added October 31, 2022 at 1:24pm
Restrictions: None
Day 31. Plot: Premise revision
1) Settings:

Part of the story takes place in London 1929. Much of the rest takes place in the Theatre of Magic, which is not so much a place as an experience. Bits of it seem to happen in Ancient Egypt and Ancient Greece.

2)

The main protagonist is The Indelible Maurice, stage name of John Edward Maurice Worrell. His major flaw is a lack of self belief. He thinks of himself as a loser. He would like to meet a woman who would be his perfect match, (being something of a romantic). He would like to be a successful Magician. Once he has met Philomena and seen real magic, he wants to enter the Theatre of Magic.

3)

Conflicts are provided by the threat of being arrested for the murder of a child, and subsequent death penalty. It is further provided by the three tasks of Hermes Trismegistus, which are based upon three stage magic tricks reworked to become actually dangerous. These are 'find the lady', where Maurice has to find Philomena (and who she really is, his anima/animus.); Pull the Rabbit out of the hat, where he has to learn who The Devil, and Hermes Trismegistus really are, (his Shadow); and Cutting the lady in two, where he learns the secret of transcending dualities.


4)

The antagonist is The Devil, who is basically Maurice's shadow, (in Jungian psychological terms). The Devil is working to integrate with Maurice, to allow him to become a more effective person, and beyond this to realise his full potential as a member of the Theatre of Magic.

5)

Resolution is achieved by Maurice uniting himself with his anima/animus and shadow, thereby entering the Theatre of Magic, and becoming consciously immortal and able to play with alternative realities.

6)

The theme of the story is a journey of personal transcendence. Maurice escapes his fears and mundane expectations to become an immortal.
© Copyright 2022 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040051-Day-31-Plot-Premise-revision