*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040245-Epilogue
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #2284509
In the aftermath of The Raven saga, our heroes past comes back to bite them… literally.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1040245 added December 6, 2022 at 7:18am
Restrictions: None
Epilogue
Jake sat at his computer in the Birdcage finishing his report. It had been nearly a week since the incident with the bombs and Courtney's defeat. It had taken five days before the city started to return to anything close to normal, and Jake had been working closely with his friends and the MPD to reign in the chaos. Beth, Pam, Sally, and Sam had all been working around the clock to bring order back to the city. Sally and Sam preferred to keep a lower profile, but they'd managed to quell any problems in their neighborhoods together. Tonight was the first night that Jake had off, but that meant it was time to honor his deal with Alexis.

It was nearing six now, and she was supposed to be at the manor at six thirty. Luckily, she'd agreed to a casual dinner at his place followed by a movie, and if things went well, some time together upstairs. Truthfully, Jake wasn't entirely dreading their date. Alexis had proven herself a capable ally, and he had begun to wonder if he might have misjudged her. Beth and Pam had made good points about his track record, and Alexis wasn't too far from his usual encounters. Still, her obsession with him did have him slightly concerned. There was no backing out now, though. All he could do was roll the dice and hope for the best.

Jake sent his last report to Zoey regarding rioting on the eastern side of Metropolis, and opened his browser to the web page he'd been on earlier. Since Courtney's last nightmare, Jake had been trying to find anything he could on the staff that had appeared during their early battle. Ashley and Pam claimed that they'd seen the stone atop the staff before, but neither were certain of its origins. However, both of them agreed that they'd seen it used before. Pam referred to it as an advanced arcane focus, and Ashley had said that she'd used stones of a similar style for defenses during her reign. Jake hadn't heard either story before, so it begged the question of where the instrument had come from. Then there was the ghostly voice he'd heard whisper during their fight.

Ashley had been quiet about it, but he knew that she also suspected it was Rebecca. How his ex could reach across space, time, and dimensions was beyond him, but the answer may have been hidden within Courtney's toxin. It wasn't a theory he was interested in testing, though, and he couldn't bring himself to go near the wretched gas anytime soon. Instead, Jake focused his attention on studying the stone itself, its origins, and exactly what it could be. Pam had promised to try to locate some texts that might help him, but until then, he had been browsing the corners of the dark web in an attempt to dig for anything that could give him a clue. So far, he'd only managed to find mythology on different gemstones, and mystical properties that they were believed to hold.

His phone rang as he started to try to find another clue. Jake picked it up and decided that it could wait until after tonight, "Go for Jake."

"Just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to bail on Alexis," Beth's voice replied smugly.

Jake rolled his eyes and checked the time again. He needed to get ready before she came, and he had promised her a home cooked meal. He stood up and shut his computer down as he replied, "I'm not, I swear. I was just finishing up some reports before heading upstairs to get ready. I'm not going to break my word, especially after everything she did to help us."

"Funny, you're starting to sound like your old self again," Beth said, "Pam and I are getting ready to head out on patrol, so you just focus on taking it easy tonight."

"You think a date with Footgirl can be considered taking it easy?" Jake asked with a laugh, "I know you're worried I'm going to look for an out, but I need you to trust me when I say you've got nothing to worry about."

"I know, I know," Beth sighed, "I just want to make sure you're gonna give her a chance. I know she can be a little overbearing, but she's not as bad as we thought."

"Overbearing?" Jake repeated as he sped upstairs and headed to his room to change, "I think the word you're looking for is obsessive, or maybe crazy. I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to this, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. After everything we've been through, I figure it can't hurt to try."

"Okay, that's fair," Beth admitted.

"Kitten, let's move so we can get back!" Pam called in the background, "I want to be back in time to watch my show before we turn in!"

"I'm coming," Beth said, addressing Pam, "Ugh, I hate this time of year. Pam's obsessed with those stupid ghost shows, and she always makes me watch with her."

Jake laughed as he entered his bedroom, "You're too jumpy. Half the stuff on there is fake. I won't keep you, though. You two might have settled down, but I know what happens when you test her patience. Be careful out there, and let me know if you come up with any leads on Dr. Murray."

"If we do-" Beth started.

"It can wait until tomorrow, I know," Jake finished, "I promise, I'm not gonna bail on Alexis a second time."

"Good man," Beth said, and he could hear her smile, "Alright, I'll keep you posted. Have a good night."

Beth hung up before Jake could reply. He tossed his phone onto the bed and opened his closet. "Good night might be a stretch," he sighed to himself as he picked out a red button-up shirt.

"At least try to have fun, love," Ashley said, sitting on the bed and admiring the view.

"You're not bothered by the fact that this could turn into a more…intimate night?" Jake asked, ignoring the feeling of Ashley ravaging him mentally.

"There are worse people you to fuck," Ashley replied, "At least I know Alexis cares for you, and she's made it clear that she cares for me as well."

"How is this such a casual and candid topic?" Jake balked as he buttoned his shirt.

"I've been with men and women countless times before you, my love," Ashley replied as though it were obvious.

"And that makes it better because…" Jake trailed off, "You know what, I don't want to know. I'm just gonna go into this with low expectations, and whatever happens, happens."

"That's as good an outlook as any, I suppose," Ashley said, "Hurry up now, she'll be here early."

She wasn't wrong. Jake almost expected her to be downstairs waiting for him in the dining room, or at least waiting outside the door to his home. He buttoned his black slacks after tucking his shirt in and asked, "Yeah, how do I look?"

"Like someone who is trying awfully hard to impress a girl he claims to have no interest in," Ashley smiled, "Seeing you like this reminds me why I fell for you."

The doorbell rang as the clock struck six thirty. "She waited until the exact minute, I'm almost impressed," Jake scoffed as he headed downstairs, "I can appreciate the self control."

Jake reached the large double doors and opened them. Alexis stood by the door fidgeting, but Jake had to hold his jaw to keep it from falling to the floor. He'd been expecting her to show up in either her usual attire, or possibly a trenchcoat concealing something skimpy and scandalous. Instead, Alexis was sporting a shockingly tasteful black and green gown that stopped just above her ankles. He could see that she was still wearing her converse, but they actually accentuated her outfit. Her hair was down, and he swore that she'd straightened it before coming. She looked uncomfortable in the dress, but he couldn't tell if it was because she didn't like it, or if she was just nervous.

Surprisingly, she didn't tackle him with a hug or assault him with kisses. She shifted from side to side, and her cheeks seemed to be slightly flushed. "H-how do I look?" she asked, her voice seemingly trembling in an uncharacteristic manner for her.

"Wow," Jake said, earning him a smile from his insane stalker, "I mean, you look good. I don't think I've ever seen you in a dress before."

"Heh, yeah," Alexis said, scratching the back of her head, "Miri picked it out. I'm glad you like it, though. I keep feeling like I'm gonna trip in this stupid thing."

"I'll catch you if you do," Jake blurted out without thinking, "Uh, do you wanna come in? I haven't started cooking yet, but you can join me in the kitchen. Sorry, I had to finish filing a report for Zoey, but I've got the night off. No distractions, no interruptions, just you and me tonight."

He could see her energy shift, but Alexis managed to keep herself grounded. "Yeah, that sounds nice," she said as he ushered her inside."

—---------------

As Jake took Alexis inside to prepare for an interesting evening, Beth and Pam patrolled the streets of Metropolis. Thankfully, things had finally started to quiet down in the bustling city. The issues of petty theft, gang activity, and wayward criminals were still present, but the average citizen was finally finding some peace after the insanity that had happened a week ago. The bulk of their time was spent trying to track down any villains that had escaped during Goth's takeover, or attempting to locate Dr. Murray before she struck again.

The general public had become more divided than ever on the subject of vigilantes, though. Courtney's near destruction of the city and scathing commentary had left a sour taste in many people's mouths. Pam's identity hadn't been released to the masses, but now people knew there was a third player in the war for their rights. While the police knew who and what she was, the public only knew that there was another mysterious woman working alongside The Raven and The Feral. People feared what they didn't know, and Pam was still unknown to many. Even some of the officers were leery of her and her past. She said it didn't bother her, but Beth knew that she was more concerned than she was letting on.

Andrew had been taken into police custody, and Blackridge Inc. was once again under scrutiny for the mistakes of one employee. Jake had been handling the situation as well as he could, but regaining public favor had already been an ongoing battle for him. He'd dedicated more resources to helping those that were affected by Courtney's dastardly plans, but it still wasn't enough. The trouble had begun right under their noses, and Courtney had made that abundantly clear to everyone. The Blackridge name was becoming associated with neglect and abandonment, rather than hope and care. Jake had his hands full between their nightly patrols, assisting with police reports, and trying to save his company's image. It was taking a heavy toll on her friend, she knew it, but he was taking it in stride.

The only good news was that Dr. Murray hadn't resurfaced, but Beth knew it was only a matter of time. The fact that the sociopathic surgeon was still at large was worrisome, but at least the city could breathe easy for now. However, the lack of activity was concerning for a number of reasons. The psychotic doctor was either waiting and planning, or, if they were lucky, she could have skipped town. Her unnerving obsession with Pam made that seem unlikely, though. Beth wanted to find and eliminate the lunatic before it was too late. She knew that Pam, let alone the rest of the city, would sleep better with Dr. Murray out of the picture.

Pam had shared her nightmarish vision with Beth a few days after they'd stopped Courtney. A fear of hospitals was the last thing Beth expected to hear, but it was a stark reminder that Pam was indeed human. It also explained her aversion to going to any clinic or doctor whenever she was sick. Until now, Beth had just assumed she didn't like pharmaceuticals and western medicine. It had been a safe bet considering Pam's abilities, the amount of tea she drank, and the various books on eastern medicine and health practices they had laying around. Although, what Pam had described had been utterly terrifying. There was a deeper fear buried alongside Pam's hospital terror, though: abandonment and betrayal

Beth had heard the stories of Tammy and their time together. The woman had been Pam's best friend, and an anchor in an otherwise insane lifestyle. Knowing her girlfriend as she did now, Beth understood why she had always seemed so aloof and distant. It was a defense mechanism to prevent letting people in. She couldn't be hurt if she kept people away, and it also meant she wouldn't have to hurt them. The pain that Pam carried from what happened to Tammy, what she did, was evident, but the hurt of having it done to her was ten times worse. The story made Beth feel silly for her own nightmare, but Pam continued to dote on her and care for her. Truthfully, Beth felt it was time that she returned the favor for her beloved. Pam deserved someone who was willing to take care of her for a change.

Currently, Beth was perched atop the clocktower waiting for Pam. It was strange being back at the base that she and the others had used months ago. It felt familiar, yet empty at the same time. Tonight's patrol had been a bust, and Zoey had called requesting Pam's help with a situation. The two of them would remain on call, but they were preparing to turn in whenever Pam finished. As she waited, Beth wondered what the surviving members of their little gang were up to. Jason hadn't been seen since Goth's defeat, and Kait had become a ghost alongside her young charge. She wondered what Havoc would have thought of the state of the city. Beth wouldn't admit aloud, but she missed the gargantuan brute. She'd have made a powerful ally in the face of the unending terror that Courtney had tried to create.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Pam asked from behind her, and Beth nearly fell from the rooftop.

"Jesus!" Beth exclaimed, turning around and breathing a sigh of relief, "Save the spooking for the bad guys, will ya?"

Pam smiled at her. Beth's helmet was off and at her side. "Forgive me, fearsome one," Pam said with a grin, "I thought the mighty Feral was eternally observant."

"Oh, fuck off," Beth spat, although she grinned as she relaxed, "Did you get everything sorted with Zoey?"

"I did," Pam replied, walking over and sitting down on the edge of rooftop, "She had some questions regarding Andrew, wanted an update on our findings with Dr. Murray, and wanted to know if we had any news regarding Courtney's condition."

"She could have called me for that," Beth said, sitting down beside Pam.

"She felt that your presence on the streets would be more effective," Pam said, "You're known more than myself, and the criminals of this city fear you and your methods. Your reputation for brutality, along with your hand in overthrowing Rebecca, proceeds you, Kitten. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," Beth replied, "A little bored, but that's not such a bad thing. Thkngs have finally started to calm down. What about you? You haven't really stopped working, or checking on me since we locked Courtney away."

"You needn't trouble yourself over me, Kitten, I'm quite alright," Pam replied, doing her best to brush off Beth's concern, "I appreciate the sentiment, truly I do, but you are my main concern."

"You don't have to do this, you know?" Beth countered, scooting closer and interlocking her fingers with Pam's, "There's nothing wrong with letting your guard down, and you don't have to pretend with me."

"Whatever are you talking about?" Pam asked, squeezing Beth's hand.

"You're human, Pam, and I know you went through a lot during that battle," Beth explained, looking up at Pam, "You spend so much time worrying about me and Jake, but you deserve someone willing to do the same for you too. Let me be that person for you for a change."

"Surrendering isn't something that I'm overly fond of, Kitten," Pam admitted with a frown.

"It's not exactly in my nature either," Beth reminded her, "You're always talking about trust, and that's something that we are lucky to have in our relationship. Do you think you can trust me to take care of you once in a while?"

"Beth, I mean this with all the respect in the world," Pam sighed, hoping she wouldn't upset her pet, "You're not built to carry my burdens. You already carry so much between your own demons and trauma, Jake and his well-being, and the state of this city. I've been trained in how to carry the weight of another, and I take joy in being able to alleviate the stress you hold in."

"I'm not saying swap roles permanently, though," Beth offered, "I lean on you, and I know that you don't mind, but can't you lean on me for one night? Don't you trust me enough for that?"

"Of course I trust you, Kitten," Pam replied, placing her other hand atop Beth's, "I trust you more than anyone, but I don't want you getting overwhelmed. Is this really what you want?"

"I won't get overwhelmed," Beth assured her, "I want to be able to take care of you, at least for one night. Give me some credit here. I managed on my own for years."

"Getting abused and used by dozens of women while attempting to do so," Pam pointed out, "Honestly, I've believed for a long time that you had a subconscious need for a partner willing to take control."

"Okay, that's just not true," Beth scoffed, "Like, ninety percent of what happened was the result of inexperience and bad planning. I fought you almost every step of the way after I submitted, or did you forget that?"

"Oh, I haven't forgotten," Pam chuckled, "You were stubborn, defiant, and incredibly difficult to train, but that stemmed from mistrust. That, in itself, was born from years of having women like myself take advantage of you. When you started to realize that I genuinely had your best interest at heart, that was when you started listening and behaving."

"About two dozen spankings and God awful punishments didn't hurt either," Beth added before frowning, "Stop trying to get me off topic, here. You're avoiding my earlier point with your psychoanalysis of me."

"Is it my fault that you're easily distracted?" Pam asked with a grin before adding, "Fine, I can see that you're getting upset. You know that I trust you completely, Kitten, and if this is what you want, then I suppose I can allow it."

Beth smiled and gave Pam's hand a firm squeeze, "Thank you, you won't regret this."

"As long as you're not cooking for me," Pam said with a grin, "You're supposed to be taking care of me, not giving me food poisoning."

"Haha, very funny," Beth said with an eye roll, earning her a slap on her thigh, "Hey, you're supposed to be letting me take the reins for the night!"

"You know I hate it when you roll your eyes at me," Pam said, sternly, "One night doesn't mean I'll just overlook my pet peeves."

"Oh, you are just asking for a spanking when we get home," Beth said, grinning as Pam blushed, "Come on, let's head back. We can watch your show, and then we can have some fun."

"I suspect that you'll be clinging to me while I watch," Pam said, "I won't say a word, don't worry. Whatever position we're in, I'm content as long as you're close beside me."

"You can be so cheesey for someone so stoic," Beth giggled, standing up and helping Pam to her feet, "Let's get home."

Pam didn't say another word as she got to her feet. It had been a long October for everyone, and it felt good to be able to relax again. Their nightmares were finally behind them, at least for now, and they were still together. She pulled the shadows in around them, and the two of them sunk into the darkness. Pam wouldn't admit it, but she was glad and almost giddy at relinquishing control for the night. Beth was right, it was a matter of trust, and that was something that both of them were fortunate to have in abundance for one another.

—----------------

Jake sat across from Alexis as she regaled him with a story from her time down in Hell. "So, anyways," she said, flailing her arms about for dramatic effect, "I look at Artie, this is after he tells me I'm too weak to be a part of the Citadel, and I says to him, I says, 'Clearly intelligence isn't a prerequisite to join security!' Then, I pull the string out, and the trap door opens right under his big demonic ass! You think you've seen everything, but then you see a big scaly dragon thing flail around trying to keep from falling. The big idiot had freaking wings, for crying out loud, but he forgot to even use them!"

Jake let out a genuine laugh as Alexis finished her story and took a bite of her chili. It felt good to laugh again. It wasn't her story that was comical, it was her attitude and energy. "So, you made a fool of Dorothy's head of security," he said as he looked down at his bowl, "I can't imagine she was too happy about that."

"Old no-nose actually promoted me for it," Alexis said, "She threw his big ass into the blood swamps in Circle Six too."

"She exiled him?" Jake asked, surprised despite knowing how cruel the demoness had been.

"Yup," Alexis said, leaning back, "She ran a tight and merciless ship. As awful as she was, though, Lilith is from the old school. I'm glad I got out when I did."

Jake stopped and swallowed his bite. His mirth and joy suddenly evaporated at the very mention of his demon queen's name. "What do you mean, the old school?" he asked, afraid of the answer.

"Shit," Alexis sighed, her face falling as she realized what she'd done, "Jake, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought that bitch up."

"No, it's alright," he lied, but he could see she didn't buy it, "Okay, so maybe not the greatest topic for me, but I know it was an accident. I hate thinking about her, but I'm curious what you mean. Will you tell me?"

"I don't think you really want to know, Jake," she said.

"Too late to turn back now," he offered.

"Fine, I'll tell you what I know," Alexis sighed, her demeanor shifting from goofy to serious, "Lilith is from the times when the Circles were first established. Long ago, there was an entity known as the Creator, and that being is what's believed to be responsible for all life in every dimension. Christians refer to them as God, Native Americans had many names for it, and most religions are based on their existence. Some of them may be closer than others, but there's not even a soul in Hell, demon or mortal, that can say for certain which is which. Anyway, the Creator gave life to humanity, angels, and demons, but the latter two were created for a purpose. The angels exist to enforce the will of the Creator, and they're forbidden from direct intervention with humanity. Although that doesn't stop them from indirectly influencing some, but there are others who exist to ferry souls, carry out judgements, or to serve and protect."

"This is too wild," Jake sighed.

"I know you're not a spiritual person, Jake, but this is stuff that's written in the oldest texts in Hell," Alexis said, "Believe me, I was skeptical about this shit too until I got there. Anyway, the Nine Circles were created as places to punish those that were guilty of sin, or in layman's terms, anything that goes against the law set forth by the Creator. Murderers, rapists, lunatics, yours truly, and others are all sent there to atone for their crimes. Lilith was one of the original enforcers, an Arch Lord, brought into existence to show pain and terror to any and all mortals foolish enough to pursue power and lust. Her methods of punishment and torment were the stuff of legend and nightmares, and there is even folklore in different countries that reference her. There were seven enforcers that were created, and each of the seven has a corresponding sin attached with them. Can you guess which one Lilith embodies?"

"Lust," Jake sighed, remembering her sheer delight at the idea of playing with him, "Wait, if there are seven, then how are there nine circles?"

"Two of the seven ruled over an additional Circle," Alexis explained, "The names of the seven have nearly been erased now after the uprising of the demonic wars. It was people like Dorothy, and even Rebecca, who managed to outsmart the seven that brought their reigns to a final end. Their spirits are still out there, though, but nobody knows where. Some of them were believed to have been absorbed by other demonic entities or mortals, but there's not a soul that can say for certain."

"Okat, so Lilith regained her power and now has control over one of the nine circles," Jake said, trying to understand everything, "You still haven't told me what's different about life under her rule."

Alexis looked down and frowned. She really didn't want to ruin her one shot with her life-long love, but lying wouldn't solve anything. She grabbed some crackers off of the plate beside her bowl as she explained, "Okay, but remember, you asked me about this. So, under Dorothy's reign, the circle of Hell you guys were in was run like some kind of conglomerate. Lilith believes in the old ways, and her very nature and being are a cruel and vindictive makeup. Dorothy crested different ways of pacifying the lesser demons. The sacrifices, the festivals, and other things to keep the underlings complacent. Lilith believes that anyone, or anything, that refuses to bow before her needs to be expunged or punished."

Alexis crushed the crackers and dribbled them into her bowl, "The Well that is in the Citadel acts as a power source for the entire circle. It's not the only one, mind you, but grinds up human souls to be used as raw energy for different purposes. The original intention was to provide the enforcers with the means to rule over their assigned circles, but Dorothy repurposed it to fuel the cities and structures throughout Hell. Lilith, no doubt, will have already returned it to its original purpose. The entire dynamic of power in that dimension will have shifted, and Lilith will use The Well to reshape her Circle into a plane that reflects her own twisted tastes. A place of unending torment and suffering, and a playground for herself and those that she trusts. Mortals were often tenderized by the demons before being thrown into The Well, but Lilith will keep them as her playthings until they are utterly shattered."

"See, you can bolster the power generated from The Well by feeding it anything, but the results will be diminished. Lilith can fan the flames, so to speak, by sacrificing any demons that want to oppose her rule. The higher their rank, the more power they'll generate. Mind you, a demon's soul isn't worth nearly as much as a human's. Don't ask me why, either. My guess is that it's the trade-off for all of our limitations compared to angels and demons. Dorothy ran that place for a long time, though, so even without tossing human souls into The Well, it'll have enough power to last Lilith at least a century or two before she has to start feeding it again."

"But time passes differently between dimensions, right?" Jake asked, his head spinning.

"Yup, but I can't say for certain what that difference is," Alexis replied with a sigh, "I know what you're worried about, Jake, and I wish I could say that you were wrong. Eventually, there is a possibility that Lilith could attempt to breach the walls between our world and hers. For now, she has everything she could ever need, but she doesn't have everything she wants, not yet."

"You're talking about me," Jake solemnly said, "She wants me for herself, and it's because of my connection with Rebecca. Fuck me."

"Is that a request?" Alexis asked, her mood shifting slightly before Jake gave her a stern look, "Sorry, I couldn't help myself there. Look, you're right, unfortunately, and as long as you're marked she's got you. Whenever you eventually pass through the gate between dimensions, your soul will belong to her. It is because you were what that psycho bitch cherished the most, and it's because she wants to inflict as much suffering on her as possible. Unless you can get that mark off of you, your afterlife is going to consist of the most painful and demented experiences you could imagine."

Jake felt a sense of dread as the conversation continued. "Is there any way to get this thing off of me?" he asked after a moment of tense silence.

"You signed a contract, Jake, and that's more than legally binding, it's eternal," Alexis replied, "I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't have a good solution. Pam might be able to find a way, but science isn't gonna be able to help you with this one. Believe me, if I had any ideas, you'd be the first to know."

"That's what I was afraid of," Jake sighed.

"I ruined this evening, didn't I?" Alexis asked, her tone showcasing how disappointed she was.

"No," Jake said, "I'm sorry, Alexis, it's not you, it's-"

"Me," she finished with a sigh, "God, I hate hearing this old speech. It really makes me mad, and it's just the most condescending bullshit excuse!"

Alexis stood up as her mood shifted from sad to angry. "Clarify, Jake," Ashley warned as Alexis got to her feet, "This little misunderstanding could set her off!"

"Alexis, stop!" Jake exclaimed before she could start a tirade, "That's not what I mean. I just meant that this conversation put a pretty heavy damper on my mood, but I'm the one who insisted you tell me. You didn't ruin anything. I shot tonight in the foot."

She'd been searching for something to smash when Jake stopped her. Her hand was on the bowl of chili and about to throw it when he spoke. Her attitude shifted again, but she still hadn't completely calmed down. "So, you're not telling me this isn't gonna work out?" she asked tentatively.

"I can't say for sure one way or the other about that," Jake replied, "I can say that up until I made you tell me about Lilith, things were going surprisingly well. I just…"

"You can be such an idiot at times, love," Ashley sighed, and Jake glared off at her.

"Ash say something?" Alexis asked.

"She's telling me I'm an idiot," Jake replied, "I guess I'm more frustrated because I can't exactly argue with her this time. Look, I can't say whether or not you and I will work out or not, Alexis, but I can say this. No matter what happens, I'll be honest with you. Would you be alright if we tried this again another night? I swear, I'm not trying to blow you off, and you haven't done anything to make me regret giving this a chance. I'm the one who screwed tonight up, not you. I got in my own head, and I'm still trying to deal with everything I went through while Courtney had me under her influence."

"Are you asking me for a second date?" Alexis asked, her voice quivering from excitement and hope.

"Can't believe I'm saying it, but yes," Jake said, running a hand through his hair, "I promise, the next one won't go off the rails because of me."

Alexis almost jumped with joy, "Alright, you've got a deal! But, wait, what about your schedule? When can we see each other again?"

This was what Jake had been afraid of. Alexis was the definition of clingy, and combined with her unstable mentality, it made for a dangerous combination. "Yeah, I'm going to be pretty busy between my nightlife and trying to fix my company, but I'll make time," he said, "Beth and Pam can handle a night of patrol, and we should be able to get together before too long. Look at it this way, it'll give me time to plan out a good night for us."

Alexis pouted for a second before perking back up, "Okay, okay, as long as you promise to keep me in the loop."

"I just want one promise from you," Jake added, "No more criminal activities or plans while we're exploring…whatever this is."

"Awe, come on!" Alexis whined, "What am I supposed to do while I wait?!"

"I don't know, but we can't do this if I'm trying to arrest you or if you're in jail," Jake replied, "I'm not asking you to change who you are, Alexis. I'm just asking you to refrain from doing anything that puts people in danger."

"But I get so bored!" Alexis whined, stomping her feet, "What is life without a little chaos, Jake?!"

"Alexis, do you want us to have a chance?" Jake countered.

"You know I do!" she exclaimed, and sighed when he shot her a stern look, "Ugh, fine, I guess I'll just be boring! Can I at least kidnap the mayor or something?"

"No," Jake sighed, already starting to regret his decision, "I'll make you a deal. One of us will check in on you and Miri every other day, and we'll call you if we need to bring you in on a job. This way, you've got someone to hang out with, and you'll still be close to us."

"You're not gonna use that as an out for a date, are you?" she asked.

"No," he answered, walking over and grabbing her hands, "Checking in, or involving you in a mission, won't count as a date. Can you do this for me?"

Alexis looked away as her heart skipped a beat, "Yeah, I can do that. What are you gonna do for the rest of the night, though?"

"I'll probably head back downstairs and see about any updates on Dr. Murray or Courtney," he replied, "Beth and Pam are supposed to be reporting anything they find, and Zoey has been keeping me up to date with any killings that match her MO."

"You're still keeping Courtney locked away?" Alexis asked, eying him with concern, "Jake, I ran hundreds of tests, and I don't think there's a way to save her without removing the parasite. Doing that would kill her. There's nothing left of her, Jake."

"I have to try," Jake sighed, "I'm the reason that she ended up like she is, and I owe it to her to try to fix her."

"Sometimes people are just too broken, Jake," Alexis said, sounding mournful.

"Then I'll do what I can to pick up the pieces," Jake countered.

"Can I see her?" Alexis asked before adding, "Nothing weird, I just want to see if she's as far gone as I suspect."

"I don't know if that's a good idea," he said, "She's locked away, but she's still incredibly dangerous, Alexis. She's got a way of getting inside of people's heads, and I don't want her to twist you around."

"Jake, this is Footgirl you're talking to," Alexis laughed, "My screws aren't just loose, they're stripped! Better women than her have tried, and they got nowhere with it. Okay, Abigail was an exception, but she was using that weird foot sludge to control me. She doesn't have access to her gas, right?"

"God no," Jake said, "The most she has is her parasite, and she's locked behind the same glass that was designed to hold Rebecca."

"Alright, so you've got nothing to worry about," she said, "Let me have a look at her, Jake."

"I don't like it, but okay," he relented as he led her into the study, "Come on, I'll show you where she's being kept."

"Birdboy is welcoming me into his secret lair," Alexis said, trailing behind him dreamily, "Miracles really do happen."

Jake didn't respond as he turned the hands on the clock to open the entryway. Things had certainly changed over the last year. If anyone had told him that he'd be willingly spending an evening with Footgirl, he'd have laughed in their face. Yet, here he was doing exactly that, and he was indeed welcoming her into his most private quarters. Even though she'd been there during the battle with Rebecca, he had never imagined that he would be bringing her back multiple times. He wondered if life in Metropolis would ever be the same again. Everything had been turned completely upside down, and it didn't show any signs of stopping anytime soon.

Jake and Alexis walked deeper into the underground chamber. Amazingly, Alexis hadn't said another word. Part of Jake was worried that she was studying and planning how to dismantle the Birdcage, or how to replicate his tech, but he reminded himself that he'd welcomed her down here. Besides, it was too late to worry about that now. She'd had access to his systems for days already. He would periodically look back to make sure she hadn't gotten distracted, but she kept in step with him as they made their way towards Courtney's holding cell. The most she did was marvel at pieces of tech that sat up on display.

They came to a large wall that been carved out and a massive pane of glass lining it. Jake was about to switch on the lights and explain when Courtney spoke up, "You've brought me a visitor, how sweet. Someone to share your failures, but look who it is. Alexis Hamilton, the notoriously unstable supervillain. Have you finally brought me something edible, Jake? Is that what this is, a poor attempt to get on my good side?"

Jake frowned as Courtney walked closer to the glass. He'd been using raw animal carcasses to sate her appetite, but she'd made no secret of her disdain for the substitute. "Alexis, this is Courtney Tellar," Jake introduced his sociopathic ex to his current sociopathic interest.

"Oh, don't tell me," Courtney laughed, putting the pieces together, "The great Jake Blackridge, fearsome superhero, is shacking up with Footgirl! Ha, your taste is as terrible as ever, Jake. If I'd have known you had such a thing for damaged goods, I'd have kept my distance from you, Jake."

"Standing right here," Alexis scoffed, stepping closer to the glass, "At least I know I'm damaged, unlike you."

"Oh, honey, you have no idea," Courtney giggled, "I'm well aware of the state I'm in and what I've become. Much like you, I've embraced who I am now. However, unlike you, I can see that man for who he really is. Do you really think he'll choose to be with you? The psychotic woman who's murdered dozens, jeopardized this city, and is relentlessly obsessed with a fool. You'll never be good enough for him, Alexis, but he's too much of a coward to tell you the truth. Isn't that right, Jake."

"Courtney," Jake warned, "Don't make me release the gas again."

"Threatening a defenseless girl," Courtney scoffed, "Do you see how he is, dear? The monster behind the mask, Jake Blackridge, the pretender of Metropolis!"

"He's more of a hero than you want to admit," Alexis countered, crossing her arms, "He stopped you, and he did everything he could to end Goth."

"An evil that he himself unleashed through his own neglect," Courtney countered, "You were there, girl. Do you honestly believe that one act of heroism absolves you of your past? He will always see you as a dangerous lunatic. A mad woman hanging on by a thread, and waiting for the excuse to unleash her own selfish and evil desires. You're diluting yourself by thinking the two of you have a chance. He will hurt you, Alexis, and what will you do when that happens?"

"Fascinating," Alexis mused, ignoring Courtney's scathing comments and questions, "It would seem that your condition is putting added stress on what's left of your brain. Hmph, it seems that the longer you have that thing on you, the more of yourself you lose to it."

Courtney snarled and slammed her fist against the glass, "I know who I am, girl, can you say the same?! I am what that monster of a man made me, but I see him for who and what he really is! Mark my words, Alexis, this will only end in tragedy for you. Everything Jake touches burns eventually. Me, Rebecca, Beth, and even you, everyone and everything he touches suffers."

"Keep blathering, zombie-girl, maybe someone will believe it eventually," Alexis smirked, unphased by Courtney's aggression.

"You are even more idiotic and foolish than I've heard," Courtney scoffed, "The two of you deserve each other. Two idiots bumbling in the dark. Enjoy having your heart broken, Alexis."

"Get bent, freak," Alexis said, flipping her off, "Hmph, I've seen enough, Jake. I stand by what I said earlier. There's no saving the woman she was. All that's left of her is hatred, and keeping her alive is only going to end badly for everyone. Turn her over, or put her down, Jake."

"Ha, he's too pathetic and weak to do either of those," Courtney laughed.

Alexis shook her head and prepared to take her leave, "Do what you want, Jake, but I'm telling you the truth. I'm heading out for the night, though. Call me when you want to get together, and don't keep me waiting. Love you, little bird, Footgirl out."

"Be careful, Alexis," Jake said, "I'll call you tomorrow, but it might be late. Don't forget our deal."

"I'll be up, and I won't," Alexis said, heading towards the exit, "If you're gonna keep her down here, then make sure you keep that cell locked tight. She's more dangerous than most of the people you've fought."

Courtney waited until Alexis was gone before speaking again, "I like her. She's got quite a lot of spirit. It's a shame you'll end up breaking her in the end. I can't wait to see how you fuck this up, and don't worry, I'll be here to remind you of your mistakes and comfort her."

"That's not going to happen," Jake said, shutting the lights off in her cell, "I promised her that I'd be honest with her."

"The truth isn't something in your nature, Jake," Courtney said grimly in the darkness, "Your very existence is based and built upon lies. Your company, your alter-egos, your relationships, everything you are is another lie you tell yourself and others."

"Good night, Courtney," Jake said, trying not to let her get into his head as he walked away.

"You can't ignore the facts forever, Jake!" Courtney yelled after him, "Sooner or later, the truth will catch up to you! When it does, I'll be right here to enjoy the show!"

Jake headed back upstairs. His hopes of continuing his research and reports were crushed alongside his plans with Alexis. He could worry about everything tomorrow, but now he needed sleep. Bruce would be back tomorrow, and he was thankful to have his friend returning. Hopefully, Bruce wouldn't be too upset with the string of women he'd had coming through his home. He was certain that his butler would be relieved to hear that he was finally stepping away grieving by fucking. Jake was perhaps most looking forward to a meal prepared by his old friend. He wasn't a slouch in the kitchen, but Bruce's cooking was on another level.

He closed the door to his bedroom and began to undress. He could feel Ashley looking at him as he did so. "Do you think she's right?" he asked now that they were alone, "Am I really destined to hurt everyone I care about?"

"Don't buy into her mind games," Ashley replied, "Beth and Pam are happy together, you and I have been united, and Rebecca chose her fate. Everything that happened was because of Rebecca and Lilith, not because of you."

"Things only ended up the way they did because I chose to chase after my selfish desires," he countered, sliding his shirt off, "Yeah, Beth and Pam worked out, but you gave your life because of my choices. Courtney chose to try to find something to undo my mistakes, and that caused her to end up as she is now. Alexis literally died and went to Hell because of me."

"If you hadn't made the choice to pursue Rebecca, then I would still be trapped in the Void, Jake," Ashley said, "Because you chose to stand against her with Beth and Pam, you were tarnished by her demonic magic, but that was before my return. Alexis gave her life, yes, but if she hadn't, we never would have been reunited. You overlook the big picture, my love, and that is what that harlot below wants you to do. There will always be pain and tragedy in life, but that doesn't have to define you and it doesn't fall entirely on you. We are together, and we still have a lot of life to live. Courtney's fate is because of her own lack of faith in you and the others. Do not let previous mistakes and regrets prevent you from moving forward, Jake."

"Kind of hard when there's reminders around every corner, Ash," he sighed, "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just worried that she might be right."

"That's enough," Ashley said, standing to walk around him, "You have done more for me and your friends than you can see. As long as you can keep your promise to be honest with Alexis, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's true that she's unstable, she'll tell you as much, but she's not entirely unreasonable."

"Are you sure we're talking about the same person?" Jake asked.

"Jake," Ashley said, not finding his humor amusing, "I am not saying she won't be upset if things don't work out, but the important thing is that you remain open and honest with her. Keep your word to her, and don't push her away should things go south between the two of you."

"That's gonna be easier said than done," Jake admitted, moving to lay down, "Part of my aversion to her and I trying was what she'd do if things didn't work out. I'm afraid that it could be what pushes her over the edge for good."

"Then we deal with that, and we bring her back should it come to that," Ashley offered, climbing into bed with him, "You cannot give up on her. There are no guarantees for what is to come, but we will see it through together."

"I hope you're right," Jake said.

"Do you trust me, Jake?" Ashley asked.

"After everything we've been through, yeah, I do," he said, earnestly, "You wanted to kill Courtney when you were in control, but you stopped yourself because I asked you to."

"I still want to kill her," Ashley added.

"I know," Jake smiled, "I guess one upside to this whole nightmare was that it showed me that I don't have be afraid of you."

"Just don't tell the monster downstairs she did us any favors," Ashley said, "I will always be here for you, Jake, no matter what happens."

"I love you, Ash," Jake said.

"I love you too," she said, "Now, let's get some sleep so I can show you just how much I love you."

It was probably the best thing he'd heard all week. Ashley was right. They'd been through hell together, all of them, but they'd managed to somehow overcome and draw closer to one another. The future was still uncertain for all of them, but seen themselves through worse. The unknowns were multiplying by the minute, but they would continue tackling them one at a time. Jake drifted off to sleep without terror clawing at the back of his mind for the first time in over a week, and Ashley waited patiently for him in his dreams. This was what the two of them had been needing; an opportunity to demonstrate their newfound trust in one another. Whatever tomorrow held, it could wait for one night.
© Copyright 2022 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040245-Epilogue