*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040754-Werewolf-Music
Rated: 18+ · Book · Horror/Scary · #2284649
Adventures In Living With The Mythical
#1040754 added November 17, 2022 at 12:17pm
Restrictions: None
Werewolf Music?
One thing that Crash seems to dodge is my requests to hear some music. After all, if werewolves exist, there has to be a separate culture for them, right? They didn't just spring up out of the ground, like weeds after a summer rain. They must have at one point at least had their own distinct group or clan or whatever, with their own distinct history, and distinct culture. Culture always involves things like art, music and legends.

But why would Crash be so dodgy on this? I mean, he's not exactly subtle with his whole "werewolf" thing. He has a T-shirt that actually says on it "werewolves do it wild" with a picture of a wolf on it jumping through the shirt. He has a "werewolf" mix on his Spotify account. Actions like this aren't those of a mythical creature in hiding. So, why then won't he talk about this part of the culture?

The first conclusions anyone can jump to are the horrifying ones. Maybe the culture revolved around hunting and killing people? Maybe they were the mythical beasts that our cavemen ancestors were afraid of. These were the creatures they built fires at night to protect themselves from, not ancient jungle cats or other things.

But if these were the creatures that went bump in the night to our ancient ancestors and they hunted in packs, wouldn't we have quite a different culture than we do now? After all, we'd be terrified of other ethnic groups and cultures. it would be so much different than today, a time were we're trained as a people by our news and media to be terrified of other ethnic groups and cultures.

Seriously though there would be more evidence of entire civilizations disappearing. I don't mean the Inca drifting into the woods disappearing. I mean, the whole entire "we've all died and here are the teeth and claw marks" version of disappearing. Plus, humanity would actually have heavier mightier weapons than they had before.

Which means that werewolves must have always been among us, right? Like in our culture. In and amongst our people. So does that mean werewolves have always been here? Werewolves were always just one random family amongst us? And doing what, exactly? The most I can gather from Crash's actual job is that he is a regulator or cop of some kind for...something. I'm still unsure of just what he does. And having known his werewolf side now for a few months, I'm of the opinion that I am not sure of how much I want to know.

There was that whole lawn gnome thing. That should have killed me. My body and soul should currently be possessed by those damned gnomes and they should be running amuck in this house and in the whole damn neighborhood right now. Why aren't they? Why aren't I? How did Crash know just what to do?

I assumed that knowing a werewolf didn't automatically mean he'd know about every mythical being out there. After all, just because you know one person who came from Japan doesn't mean you have a connection to everyone who lives on those islands. Having someone of a different race and culture in your family or friendship circle doesn't mean you know everyone of that race or culture or that they do. That would be more than just a little presumptuous.

So, then that must mean his job had something to do with that knowledge. Cause after all, he called that gnome out by name. Then there was the whole doctor vampire thing. Then, well, I guess that brings me back around to music. Cause I'm not trying to dig into his past. I'm not trying to dig into his job and stick my nose where it doesn't belong. I just want to know more about his culture. About the whole werewolf thing and those people. But how, exactly, do I do that when I keep getting jokes and nonsense?

Music is an easy way to learn about someone's culture. It's generally tied to religious rites and ceremonies, to historical events and figures, to important things for a people to pass on from one to the other. Music is one of those pieces of culture that is imperative to that culture. Each people have their own way of interpreting its use and importance.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But when I ask for Crash for werewolf music, I don't expect to hear a lot of Ozzy Osbourne, or eccentric country folk artists or strange goth rock from the nineties and early 00s. But that's what I get - just the stuff that he's been listening to ever since I met him.

Perhaps I'm just pushing this thing a bit too hard. Crash will open up in his own time. Just because I WANT to know more about his culture and species doesn't mean I'm ENTITLED to know more. That's a clear line of distinction not many people draw these days. These jokes he's been playing on me could be Crash's way of telling me to back off and he'll tell me in his own time. If that time ever comes. Or he could not actually have any separate culture and is just messing with me. You know. Either or.

© Copyright 2022 Louis Williams (UN: lu-man at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Louis Williams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1040754-Werewolf-Music