*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042117
Rated: 13+ · Book · Supernatural · #2128959
So many things had a tendency to linger. For 14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest. Dec 2022
#1042117 added December 24, 2022 at 9:22pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2: Lemon Meringue
The ripe blueberries taunted Marlow as she grated a lemon for her pie filling. Maybe blueberry muffins would have been a better bet, but the thought of going into storage to get out those blasted trays. She hadn't touched them sinceā€¦ She simply hadn't been able to stand of the sight of them.

"You could toss them out," Hannah said. Her face barely moved, and the cold of her presence sank deeper into the bone as bright yellow zest filled her bowl. "Or burn them."

Marlow flinched. "You've got jokes now."

Hannah laughed, brittle like dry twigs. "Someone's got to with all the sour you're adding into that pie. There's enough zest for a lifetime in that bowl."

"I like it sour," Marlow said. She refused to thin the contents down on principle, but she let the poor lemon go.

Silence only half-companionable filled the air. She should really do something with the berries. They were a vivid blue and ready to burst. Maybe if she had enough time, she could-

"It wasn't your fault." Sincere, empty eyes, clouded over with death. "The car crash was an accident."

Once those eyes had been a soft green, alive with every emotion. Then the car crash. Windshield glass, maid-of-honor dress samples, and those damn muffins were flying everywhere. Only to end in pain with flames consuming everything. Until there was nothing but this.

The lemon meringue was the right choice.




Word Count: 238 / 429
Prompt Two: "Second prompt."   - Blue, Yellow, Vehicle (Late)
For "14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest
© Copyright 2022 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042117