*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042200-Welcome-to-my-Reality-Blog-Prompts---Dec-2022-30
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1042200 added December 26, 2022 at 5:42am
Restrictions: None
Welcome to my Reality Blog Prompts - Dec 2022 (30)
Just so you know; some of these prompts are out of order in the writing of these blog entries.


1. What was your visit with Santa Claus like as a kid?


I have vague memories as a child asking Santa for things around Christmas time. I got more of the impression that family was more important. We didn't have "Elf on a Shelf" or anything like that. We did set out milk and cookies Christmas Eve, and it was hard to get to sleep that night.


2. Do you decorate the outside of your house for Christmas?

I love looking at decorations that people put up in their yards. As I live in an apartment, most of my decorating is done inside. I am also learning new crocheting patterns for ornaments for the tree.

3. What were your best Christmas presents?

Something from the heart; whether it be a book set, or a homemade angel for the tree; it's what comes from the heart that matters to me.


4. Do you send out Christmas Cards?

I've done this a few times; although nowadays it's easier to send a text or give a call. I like getting cards in the mail, although sometimes getting one from a business seems a little impersonal.


5. What are your favorite Christmas decorations?

I like several different styles. I like rustic decorations, homemade decorations, silver/blue theme, red,green, gold theme. I guess it really just depends on the mood that I am come thanksgiving time; this year I did a lot of crochet ornaments/garland in red/green/white colors, along with a Christmas tree skirt.

6. Do you decorate with Nativity scenes?

I have done so in the past, and I like Nativity scenes. If I were living in my own house, and could afford one, I would do so.

7. Do you enjoy Christmas music? Do you like listening to Christmas music before

Thanksgiving to get you in the mood for Christmas?


About Thanksgiving, I start listening to Christmas music. I will put it on in the background as I do housework, cooking, etc. I am rather fond of older music, such as Andy Williams songs, Dean Martin, etc.


8. Do you always remember Jesus Is The Reason For The Season?

There have been times that I have gotten caught up in the "giving"; and letting the real meaning of Christmas go to the background. I don't forget, I sometimes but Jesus in the background. However, this past year has really brought things back into focus for me.




22. The Unsent Letter: Write about a letter that never made it to its recipient.

Fiction - But could it happen?

I found a letter in the bottom of a box. It had the postage affixed on the envelope. I was surprised to see that it was addressed to me. I was going through my mom's things after she had passed, and we didn't have an easy relationship while she was alive.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I put the box aside and opened the sealed letter. Imagine my surprise to read it's contents:

My dearest daughter:
How I wish we were reconciled.
These years have made me realize
how unforgiving I must have been.

I don't know that you would care -
Not after all of these years;
But I wanted to let you know I want to be there for you.

If only I could see your face again,
With a smile upon it.
But I may have to be content with the memories of your youth.

Sincerely,
Mom


Tears raced down my cheeks. Mom! Why didn't you send me this letter? Why? Now I have to live with the regrets of an unreconciled life.



9. The Windows of the Soul: Write a poem about the story that is told through someone’s eyes.

What happened, Daddy?
Where did the love for Mommy go?
Was it even there at all?

It's hard to see you like this;
Having feet of clay,
Looking up to you, and wondering why.

I know you are hurting,
I know this isn't what you planned;
But is this really what is best?

I love you Daddy,
I always will;
But it hurts to see you founder like this.





10. Trial and Error: Write about something you learned the hard way.

Taking care of one's self is so important. I've done a really poor job of it; and now I am reaping what I have sown. It is so much better to stay ahead of the "check engine" lights, before they go off and you are dealing with them seemingly all at once.




11. Word of the Day: Go to a dictionary website that has a word of the day and use it in a poem, story, or journal entry you write.

Halcyon is most often used to describe a happy and successful time in the past that is remembered as being better than today. It can also mean “calm, peaceful” or “prosperous, affluent.” The underlined part is what I'm going with in my poem:

Looking over my life,
I can bring into focus
The ups and downs I've traversed.

Rightly or wrongly,
I've made my path -
Sometimes easily, a lot of times hard.

But now that I've been given a wakeup call,
I've had a paradigm shift;
And now I have a halcyon view.







23. Night Owl: Write about staying up late at night.

Like tonight, you mean - It is 4am, and I'm on the computer. I napped on and off during the day, and now that I'm wide awake, I am plugging away at the computer. Writing. It will probably take me a day or so to get my days and nights turned back around. LOL...so this is not an uncommon occurrence since my illness this past summer.



24. Roller-coaster: Write about the ups and downs in life.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I've had a lot of ups and downs in my life. But whether or not they were actually ups or downs, I couldn't tell for sure. Each incident has made its mark on me, and I honestly don't know if I would trade these times for others. I wouldn't wish the cancer my (at the time) 7-year old had. I don't think I can recommend divorce as an answer to marital problems, even though at the time I didn't think I had a choice. Marrying because you are lonely isn't a good idea either. Definitely am going with NOT ignoring your health issues...LOL. So, I guess there are those things.
Being proud of your kids, and letting them know you are proud of them - YES! Listening to them, even if all they are doing is venting - YES. Sometimes they don't want things "fixed" they just want to know that you care. Learning new things and not being afraid of success - a big YES! So there are those things too. LOL






12. Gamble: Be inspired by a casino or lottery ticket.

What would I do, if I were so lucky?
Would I be a better person, really?
I have grandiose ideas, sure;
But what would it accomplish in the end?

There are days that I would like to find out,
Then there are days I cringe at the thought.
My reality is what it is -
And I have a better home coming.





13. Camera: Take your camera for a walk and write based on one of the photographs you take.
This is about a picture that was taken of my sisters and me. Three of us are living; one has ashes in a lovely memorial box. Taken this year for Christmas 2022.

A bittersweet Christmas
The four of us together -
Not exactly what any of us had in mind.

Gladness that we see each other;
Tears for our sister who's passed -
Reflections of what might have been.



14. Visiting: Write about visiting a family member or friend.

I was gifted a plane ticket to go and see my mom and dad and sisters this year for the holidays. It had been 20+ years since we were all together in the same place at the same time. Amazing and fun times were had. "Shenanigans and inappropriate humor" was our theme...LOL I cannot believe how wonderful it was to see them again.





15. Congratulations: Did you write a poem, short story, or journal entry every day for a whole year? Write about what you’ve learned and celebrate your achievement!

As I've only joined Writing.com in August, I haven't reached that particular goal. I've gotten a couple of blogs put together, and I am hoping to write everyday. I guess we shall see what happens for the New Year!



16. Who has your back?

In this world, I would have to say that my kids, and my baby sister have my back. They have helped me, and have taken care of me as I recover from my illness this past summer. On the other hand, I have to say that God has had my back the whole of my life. His grace has been there and His faithfulness, even when I was out of step with Him. How wonderful his grace and mercy on my life and being!





17. How comfortable are you meeting new people?
For the most part, I am pretty comfortable meeting new people. I may need a few times to get their names right in my head, but that's another story! LOL.





18. Do you care what others think of you?

To be honest, I do care...I like to think that I am a nice enough person, and that others think well of me; that being said, I know there are people who do not care for me at all, and it has taken me a long time to become ok with that. Not everyone is going to like me, so I just have to move on with life.




19. No matter how old you are, how is your relationship with your parents?
I like to think I have a good relationship with my folks. Is it perfect? No. Is there things that bug us regarding to each other? Yes. That is part of the "human" condition, I think. But I love my folks, and I know they love me. I am just so grateful I got to see them again this holiday season.





20. What is your favorite thing to do in the winter? Inside activities! Cooking, reading, crafting, writing. Wishing for spring so I can do some gardening...LOL.

21. Write 3 Christmas Song Titles out and Write a story or poem!

All I want for Christmas is You.
Nothing else for me will do.
Presents under the tree won't matter
If I do not get to see you.

When we are here tonight,
I won't contain my joy,
For Baby It's Cold Outside
Let's just stay in and enjoy!

If we are quiet,
Perhaps we will hear
Jingle Bells upon the roof
Jingling loudly and clear.








25. Write about the color Blue.

light, navy, baby
colors abound;
sorrowful, reflective, depressed
digging into the ground.

red, white, blue,
quite patriotic -
ice blue fingers, well,
a little idiotic.







29. Christmas Magic share your thoughts.

When I was younger, there was an unknown "magic in the air" around Christmas time. Everything just seemed nicer, and sweeter during that time of year. As an adult, I found that people could be just as mean and cruel during the Christmas season as well as any other time of year. It was depressing and discouraging.
Now I make a conscious choice: I choose to see the good; the encouraging, the heartening of people. Not everyone is a grinch or a Scrooge; and those that are; well, I have my work cut out for me to pray for them.



26. What is your favorite part of Christmas?

Being able to check in on folks, both near and far. Reiterating the love I have for my family and friends. The decorations are fun, and opening presents is nice. But for me, Relationships are what make Christmas special.


28. Moonlight magic Write a poem or story or whatever comes to your mind. How do you feel

Magic by moonlight
such a glorious sight;
Stars twinkling brightly
In the dark of night.

Quiet slumbering,
All is well;
Peaceful wondering,
Burdens are quelled.



27. Write about Christmas with no snow or cold weather.

LOL...as I've really not had one of those, I think this song pretty much sums it up:





30. Is anything impossible for you in any way?

In myself, yes; there are a lot of impossible things. If I look to God's promises, Philippians 4:13
(New King James Version) says this:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Again, it is a matter of perspective.


These are my jottings for this "Reality Writing"







signature updated by lili_in_fl

© Copyright 2022 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042200-Welcome-to-my-Reality-Blog-Prompts---Dec-2022-30