*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042309
Rated: 13+ · Book · Supernatural · #2128959
So many things had a tendency to linger. For 14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest. Dec 2022
#1042309 added December 28, 2022 at 9:35pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 5: Vanilla Cream
"You need to leave."

Cabinet doors shook violently as a delicate frost covered every surface in the spacious kitchen.

"No way."

"Marlow, I can't control what's happening. You have to leave before I hurt you!"

The baker bit her tongue on her chattering teeth. The ends of her fingertips were beginning to turn blue. "You're testing my patience and intelligence if you think I will let you do this alone."

"Damn it, Mar."

A series of cracks formed on the oven door as the temperature dropped. Marlow waited for the moment it would shatter.

"Remember of first baking order?"

The ghost shook her head, the confusion written all over her charred face. "Back in high school?"

"Yay. We made those lopsided strawberries and vanilla cupcakes."

Hannah laughed, and the air stilled. It became a touch easier to breathe.

"We added extra artificial vanilla since we couldn't afford the real stuff."

"They still sold out at the bake sale. We had to make three batches the next year to keep up with demand."

Pinpricks of warmth began to flood Marlow's face. She sighed in relief. Maybe the worst was over.

They sat in companionable silence as the kitchen warmed.

Hannah took a seat opposite her friend on the linoleum floor. "You should have fled."

"Friends 'til the end, Hannah. I'd rather haunt this kitchen with you than live in a world without you."

"I thought you would live life for the both of us."

"I will," Marlow said, meeting her friend's clouded gaze. "Just not today."




Word Count: 255 / 1222
Prompt Five: "Fifth prompt."   - Artificial and Intelligence
For "14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest
© Copyright 2022 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042309