*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042471
Rated: 13+ · Book · Supernatural · #2128959
So many things had a tendency to linger. For 14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest. Dec 2022
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1042471 added January 1, 2023 at 8:43pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 7: Clarified Butter
It was time.

Marlow had delayed as long as she could, but the moment had come.

A unique candle burned rapidly on her kitchen counter. Once the wick fizzled out, Hannah would be gone.

"This isn't the end, Mar. You and me, we're fated. One way or another, we'll see each other again."

The pit of doubt in her stomach grew larger with each passing second. What if they were wrong? What if something worse happened?

As if sensing her thoughts, Hannah pulled her into a freezing hug. "I will always be with you."

"Promise me you'll find peace."

"I will," Hannah said, holding her tighter. "If you promise to live your life to the fullest."

"I promise. For the both of us."

The flame flickered out, and Hannah was gone.

-----


Marlow dumped another batch of burnt cookies into the garbage.

The chocolate chip cookies were a simple recipe that called for clarified butter to add a decadent richness to the classic dessert. The baker could make them in her sleep. But now that she was alone in her kitchen, something didn't feel quite right.

A sudden knock at the door made Marlow jump. She slipped off her apron and placed it on the hook near the kitchen entrance.

"Hi," said Charlie, an empty ceramic platter in her hands.

"Hi," Marlow answered softly. "What are you doing here?"

Charlie gave her a lopsided smile. The same smile she had fallen for. "Would you believe me if I said I couldn't stop dreaming about you?"

"If you had asked me last year…"

"Can I come in for a minute?"

Live life, Marlow. Live for the both of us.

"Sure."

As Charlie stepped inside the apartment, Marlow felt a wave of warmth rush over her, the cold a distant memory.



Word Count: 299 / 1817
Prompt Seven: "Seventh / Final prompt"   - Finale
For "14 Days, 7 Prompts, 1 Story Contest
© Copyright 2023 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042471