*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043822-Revisited-Dream-a-Little-Dream
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1043822 added January 29, 2023 at 12:02am
Restrictions: None
Revisited: "Dream a Little Dream"
Time for another break to take a second look at an entry from the past. Today, the random numbers pulled something from June of 2021, just a few days before a road trip I took. Nothing to do with the road trip, though: "Dream a Little Dream

The linked Guardian article is, unsurprisingly, still up. The main point? To quote the article, "By injecting some random weirdness into our humdrum existence, dreams leave us better equipped to cope with the unexpected."

That is, to be clear, a hypothesis, at least when the article is published. Now, what I should do is track down any updates or changes to the science since the article's publication, but to be honest, I can't be arsed right now. I'm in intermittent pain from that tooth thing I talked about a couple of days ago, and the only time I can get decent sleep is the "less pain" phase of "intermittent." So I'm being lazy.

What I find relevant right now is the "random weirdness" part, since, yesterday, I noted the benefit of randomization to help break from thinking habits. That was in relation to tarot, but after getting this (random) result today, the first thing I thought of was how dreams are often symbolic, and people sometimes search for meaning in them. Seems parallel to me: dreams and tarot.

Again, I'm not proposing anything mystical here, just our propensity to seek meaning in symbolism.

The main difference, I think, is that the tarot uses other peoples' symbols, some from very long ago, while dreams are (for now) uniquely yours. There's probably some overlap, naturally. But I wouldn't put any trust in "dream interpretation" books or sites; none of them can know what a particular image in a dream means to you.

And of course it might mean nothing at all, but that doesn't stop us from looking for meaning. There's nothing wrong with that, provided you don't run around claiming to have had the One True Last Inspiration. That's annoying to the rest of us.

© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043822-Revisited-Dream-a-Little-Dream