*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045286
Rated: GC · Book · Romance/Love · #2291018
A collection of stories (micro, short and long) on various topics
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1045286 added July 26, 2023 at 9:18pm
Restrictions: None
Worth A Try (18+)
“I’m sorry, you did what?”

I looked down and then off to the side, trying to avoid eye contact. “I bought a rugby team.”

Joe’s whole body slumped with the force of his sigh. “Pete, you don’t even like rugby. Why would you buy a rugby team? What do you even know about rugby?”

“I know….” I paused to think. I knew what rugby players looked like in their short shorts and tight tops, with their thick thighs and broad shoulders, but I doubted that would satisfy Joe. “I know there are goal posts at either end of the field and they use an oval shaped ball. I know that.” I was actually quite proud of myself for knowing that much.

“Sure. You’ve nailed it. They’re going to be unstoppable with you behind them.” Joe’s sarcasm was so thick I felt like I needed to find a pair of scissors to cut a hole in it big enough to allow me to reply.

“I’m not going to be coaching them. They have a coach. I’ll just be the owner. And it’s not like I need to understand the details. I drive a car but I’m not a mechanic. This is the same thing.”

Joe quirked one thick brown eyebrow at me. “Did you come up with that comparison in advance?” I could see the corner of his mouth twitching as he tried not to smile.

My face heated even as I grinned. “It’s good, right?”

“Yeah, I guess so.” He rolled his eyes and gave in to his smile, and as he wiggled his shoulders to ease the tension in them, I knew I had won this round.

*****************************************************************************************************************

“Mr Tompkins, pleasure. Obviously you’ll know Mike Crawshaw and Steve Jetts.” The agent who had facilitated the sale of the rugby team, Josh Wilson, grinned as he reached out toward me with his right hand while using his left to indicate the two men with him.

I shook Josh’s hand, trying not to wince at the power behind his handshake as I tried to figure out why it was ‘obvious’ that I’d know the other two men. I didn’t know them, but clearly I ought to. I was starting to regret my decision to buy a rugby team. Joe was right, I didn’t know enough. At least three of the four of us were wearing a suit, so I hadn’t committed too bad a faux pas right off the bat. Was it wrong to use a mental cricket metaphor in a rugby meeting? Probably. The guy in casual clothes was younger than the other men by at least ten years if not twenty, which probably made him close to my age of late twenties. His skin glowed with the look of someone who spent a decent amount of time outdoors, but he didn’t have the leathery look the other two were starting to show.

“Call me Pete, please.” After a second hefty handshake I extended my hand to the third man, feeling small and inadequate. I knew rugby players were generally large, well-built men, but I had no idea if any of the men in this room even played rugby. Maybe rugby supporters were equally as macho? Was it a pre-requisite to enjoying the game even as a supporter? Or maybe only people who enjoyed playing bothered to watch it. That made a lot of sense actually, now that I thought about it.

“Nice to meet you, Pete,” said the third guy (Mike? Or was he Steve?), interrupting my inner monologue as he gave my hand a gentle squeeze. My eyes widened and I couldn’t help smiling up at him. It was a relief to know that some of these men didn’t feel the need to posture and exert their masculinity. And how ridiculous was that anyway when I was a good half a foot shorter than they were?

We all found seats around the table, and I prayed I’d be able to follow the upcoming conversation at least well enough not to reveal the true depths of my ignorance when it came to rugby. Thankfully Josh started off by asking Steve to give a rundown of the current team strategy, and when the man with the second hefty handshake started talking I was able to label him as Steve, which meant the gentle giant must be Mike. That was a good start and I settled a little more comfortably into my chair.

“As you’ll know, after the recent loss to the Crusaders, we’ve had to make some changes to line-up,” Steve started.

I clearly relaxed too soon. What did he mean, as I knew? Why would I know that? And what was a line-up? I thought line-ups were something you did when trying to identify criminals. Shit. Where was Joe when I needed him? And while I panicked, Steve was still talking.

“So that’s the current plan. Of course, it would be good to get a feel for how involved you plan to be, Pete. Naturally,” he chuckled, “we trust you’ll take advice from those who are in the best position to give it.” He smiled at me, but it felt oddly smarmy.

“How involved I plan to be?” I repeated. I wanted to radiate confidence, but I couldn’t help dropping my hands to my thighs and rubbing my palms on my suit trousers. I knew the action pushed up my shoulders and made me look even more awkward than normal, but I couldn’t stop myself. “I, ah….”

“I’m sure Pete doesn’t have to decide right now,” Mike interjected, saving me from having to come up with an answer to a question I definitely hadn’t understood. “We can just roll on with the status quo until he decides he wants to step up.”

I smiled at Mike and nodded. “Yes, I’m definitely in favour of continuing with the status quo.” I had no idea what the status quo was, but if it didn’t involve me stepping up, I was all for it.

Thankfully that seemed to be the right answer, as the two older men relaxed back in their chairs and smiled. Mike winked at me, and I froze. Was that…? Did he….? What…? He smiled again, and turned to take up the conversation again. “We need to get Aaron back off the bench, and I want to spend some time working with Mahi and Jones on conversions. If we’re all good here, I’ll get cracking on that, and maybe we can set up a time once a week or whenever to touch base?” He glanced at me, including me in the question.

When Steve and Josh nodded, I did too, even though I had no idea what I was agreeing to other than a weekly meeting. When everyone stood up, I followed suit, relieved that I may have made it through relatively unscathed.

“I’ll walk you to your car, Pete. I’m headed that way anyway,” Mike said as the four of us walked to the office door. I nodded, and avoided a repeat of the handshakes with Steve and Josh by slipping out the door before they could offer.

*****************************************************************************************************************

As we walked along the corridor, Mike was the first to break the silence. “So, Pete. Not a rugby fan, huh?”

I stumbled, quickly regaining my footing but not before I felt his large, warm hand catch my upper arm to steady me. “Uh….”

He chuckled, and I could see his broad chest moving in my peripheral vision. “It’s all good. Me, I love the game, but I’m a big believer that it takes all types to make the world work. Imagine if everyone wanted my job. It’s competitive enough as it is.”

Since he seemed accepting of my ignorance, I decided to take a risk. “What, er….” I drew in a deep breath. “What is your job?”

The bark of laughter that burst forth from him startled me, and he reached a hand toward me in a soothing motion. “Sorry, sorry. Didn’t mean to laugh. Shit, you just surprised me. It’s all good.” He blinked furiously as he drew in a breath, and I got the impression he was trying to keep his amusement under control. Was it really so funny that I didn’t know what he did? I thought of Josh and his ‘obviously’ from earlier, and guessed I had finally made that faux pas I had feared.

“I’m the captain of the team,” he said finally, still smiling, but with his full lips slightly pursed in a way that suggested he was trying not to grin.

Oh. The captain. That was why Josh thought I should have known him. I guess if I knew anything about the team I’d bought I’d have recognised the captain by name or face. I didn’t say anything, but I felt my face heat.

Mike patted me gently on the shoulder. “No worries, mate, honest. But I’m thinking maybe you and I should have a sit down at some stage before we meet up with Steve again, if you are hoping to bluff your way through this.”

I glanced up at him. Was he offering to help me? Educate me? “Um…”

“Steve is the coach, by the way.”

“Ohhhhh!” I couldn’t help the exclamation that burst from me as a light bulb went on inside my head.

Mike laughed, a hearty, full body laugh, and I couldn’t even resent that it was at my expense because it was such a pleasure to watch. “Oh, we are definitely getting together. When are you free? Maybe we could meet up at your place or mine one evening?”

I perked up. An intimate tête-à-tête with Mike? Who knew how much I didn’t know and not only didn’t judge me but wanted to help? I could be down for that. I could definitely be down for that.

“I’m free whenever you are. Maybe,” I looked away and then back up at him through my eyelashes, “we should exchange numbers.”

His face softened as he looked at me. “Yeah, I think we should.”


Written 31 August 2022

© Copyright 2023 Elle - on hiatus (UN: elle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elle - on hiatus has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045286