*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045736-it-is-snowing-in-Berkegley
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #2287156
poems for Poetry Place
#1045736 added March 1, 2023 at 12:53am
Restrictions: None
it is snowing in Berkegley

It is snowing in Berkeley writing com

It is snowing
In Berkeley
Climate change
Going crazy

The weather gods
Seem to be
Out of their mind

One day bitter winter
The next day summer
Always changing

As the weather gods
Double down
Inflicting pain
On humans

Sometimes seems
Like the weather gods
Are out to get us

The universe plotting
Against the survival
Of the human race

Imagery is the lifeblood of a poem. Like a craftsman carving, molding, planing, painting, and polishing wood, stone, or some other material, the poet uses words to shape and paint pictures that present some lyrical impulse or spiritual truth. Rather than TELLING the reader about those feelings, the poet SHOWS the impressions through distinct images that project emotional overtones and associations with other images and events. In this way, the poet stirs an emotional response from the reader.

There are two basic types of imagery in poetry: literal and figurative.

1. Literal imagery is the creation of a mental impression in the mind of the reader by direct description using concrete, specific sensory words that engage the reader's senses of sight, sound, touch, taste, and smell, drawing the reader into the scene to share the feeling or experience. Because abstract terms, such as 'love' and 'beauty,' bring different images to different people, it is important to use specific, concrete terms that will help the reader to experience the same scene the poet is portraying.

A. Nouns: Noticing specific things enlarges our awareness of the world. Therefore, the poet provides the reader with specific, concrete names for objects that appeal to the senses. For example, 'dog' provides a stronger image that 'pet,' and 'cocker spaniel' paints an even clearer picture than 'dog.' Complex nouns using combinations of prefixes and suffixes can give a clue that simpler, more direct terms may be available. For example, the suffix '-tion' from the Latin means 'in the act of.' Therefore, 'destruction' would mean 'the act of destroying,' and 'destruction of the homes by fire' could be expressed more directly by 'fire destroyed the homes.' By choosing effective details that the reader can relate to and expressing them as clearly as possible, the poet opens the door to his world for the reader to enter.

B. Verbs: Action verbs make your subject do something, as opposed to simply telling the reader that something is being done. Stronger verbs are more likely to keep the reader engaged. In the example above, 'fire destroyed the homes' would be even stronger as 'fire consumed the homes.' Eliminate passive verbs, such as 'was destroyed by,' and then replace weak verbs with stronger ones.
Sensory Words (E)
Addressing the need to use sensory words in poetry
#662095 by Vivian (487)


Finding precisely the right words is critical to painting clear pictures. A good thesaurus and dictionary should be included in any writer's tool box.

2. Figurative imagery uses associative figures of speech to describe something by comparing it to something else.

A. Metaphor is one form of figurative imagery. A metaphor is a figure of speech that provides a direct, implicit comparison between two things:
You are the wind under my wings.

She is the light of my life.


B. In contrast to the metaphor, the simile makes an explicit comparison, using the words 'like,' 'as,' 'similar to,' or some other comparative conjunction. The simile points out a likeness between two things:
His heart is as big as a whale.

He runs like a deer.


C. Personification is the attribution of human characteristics or emotions to animals or other non-human things, providing a clear sense of life and motion in the world being presented by the poet:
I am a snowflake, dancing in the wind.


D. Symbolism is the use of some thing to represent something else, usually some abstract concept:
The dove is commonly used to represent peace.

The cross is used to represent Christianity.


These are just a few of the techniques poets employ to paint engaging pictures. Using original figures of speech to create vivid imagery can infuse life into your poem and give it a zesty touch of spice. However, using overdone cliches can become irritating to the reader. Imagery is used in poetry to convey meaning, not merely to decorate. This may be cliche, but it remains true nonetheless: A picture is worth a thousand words.
Camp 39 (E)
Wilderness solitude may not be all that it's cracked up to be.
#1113147 by Dave (912)



http://www.maryfumento.com/poetry/imagery.html


ASSIGNMENT:

Write a 10 - 20 line poem about some seasonal scene using at least one of the techniques presented above.
© Copyright 2023 JCosmos (UN: jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JCosmos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045736-it-is-snowing-in-Berkegley