*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1046014-Neologisms
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1046014 added March 6, 2023 at 8:31am
Restrictions: None
Neologisms
Let's do another one from "JAFBG [XGC].

Tell us about something that should have gone viral because it's awesome as fuck but so far remains relatively unknown.


Anything I come up with.

Some examples:

*Bullet* The first decade of this century should be called the noughties. I came up with that. Sure, other people (notably the BBC) came up with it independently. And to be fair, it's a bit British; they use the word "nought" for zero more than we do. It's better than what I've seen here in the US: the "aughts." No. We shouldn't "aught" to do that. Given the mistakes that happened to bookend that decade - the security failures leading up to the 9/11 attacks, and the banking crisis toward the end of the decade - we were all very "noughty."

*Bullet* A while back, right here in this blog, I invented a new word for becoming completely blitzed-out drunk. I knew we already had words for that, but I wanted one of my own. The word I proposed was "danchu." It just sounded right. Then, out of curiosity, I asked the Great Oracle if "danchu" already had a meaning. Apparently, it does. In Mandarin Chinese, it means to fade to black, like a movie scene. Highly appropriate, wouldn't you say?

*Bullet* Calling social media influencers "influenzas."

Some of my other neologisms have indeed gone viral, but not because I started them; someone else with more social clout came up with them independently. One example is the use of "copium" to describe certain internet articles that urge you to destress or whatever, to deal with the slings and arrows of outrageous endgame capitalism. One use of this word is "copium den."

There are more, in both categories, but I can't be arsed to think of them right now.

© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1046014-Neologisms