*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047009-Revisited-Invincible
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#1047009 added March 26, 2023 at 12:46pm
Restrictions: None
Revisited: "Invincible"
Pulling from the time portal, let's see here: A 30DBC response entry from January of 2020: "Invincible

Ah, yes, the Before Time, when one could talk about travel and doing stuff with other people without garnering controversy. But the prompt was pretty simple and open-ended: What are you waiting for?

I'm one of those people - yes, those people - who usually answers rhetorical questions literally. And "What are you waiting for?" is normally a rhetorical question. "Will you take the trash out, dear?" "Sure." "...Well? What are you waiting for?" "The sweet release of the Apocalypse."

It's been pointed out to me, repeatedly, that this shit isn't funny. But it is.

When it's not a rhetorical question, it implies a call to action. "You say you want to go to Belgium. Your passport is up to date and you have money. What are you waiting for?"

For a while there, it was travel restrictions. Then it was just a general distrust of travel, combined with the shitshow that flying has become. Now, there's a war going on in Europe. Still.

But mostly, it implies that I should be doing something other than what I'm doing right now, but whatever it is I'm doing right now is generally what I really want to be doing. In the battle between "should" and "want," "want" wins every time. That's just the way I am.

Very likely, it's the way most people are. I'm just aware of it and turn it into a virtue.

Really, I'm not waiting for anything important. I have a few set plans: there's a wine tasting tomorrow, of Bordeaux wines hosted by an actual French person from France

I remember that vividly, as it was my final wine tasting before everything went to shit. Cold night, long walk (I did a recap in the next blog entry), delicious wine. Well, we have a wine tasting tour planned for this Saturday. Yes, April Fools' Day.

All in all, not much has changed from that entry—while at the same time, everything has.

© Copyright 2023 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047009-Revisited-Invincible