*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047173-In-the-throes
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #1769138
Some contest entries for Daily Flash Fiction.
#1047173 added March 30, 2023 at 11:25am
Restrictions: None
In the throes
In the throes…

The guy followed her into the campus. She knew it, but didn’t show.

The afternoon was hot, the month being April. Yet, a cool breeze blowing across the sea, took the edge off the heat. She was on her way to the Botany lab, walking at a brisk yet rhythmic pace.

The departments of Biological sciences were quite a bit away from the main gate. In between, there was a large playfield, which at that hour was empty. In the Botany department, some skeleton staff would be present, she surmised. But, the patch of the sandy path stretched a bit long.

She took a bus from home and got off at the stop on the college street from which point she had to walk up the steep road leading to her college. Not an easy task, true. But the students were quite used to the routine of walking up and down avenue.

It was then that Anisha noticed him looking at her surreptitiously. She hadn’t seen when exactly he started shadowing her.

Anisha was a second year graduate student. She needed to go to the Botany lab on that particular afternoon because her professor said so. She had to collect her marked Botany practical record. The professor’s marking counted for grading the final exam scheduled for early next month. Every single mark counted for a student.

Mrs. A.V.N. College, named after the founder’s wife, was a hundred-year-old institute of great repute. It produced men and women of merit both in sciences and humanities. Competition was pretty tight to get admitted into it.
In addition to tight security and strict discipline it was famous for meritorious teaching. Any kind of bad behavior from the students was severely dealt with, by the principal and the teaching staff as well.

Most of the students were away preparing for exams.  Course-work was all done, and it was up to them to be ready for the all-important finals. The campus was almost deserted.

-----

Anisha was far from being nervous, when the guy started closing in. He came by her side and tried to strike a conversation. A square-jawed, long haired face came into her line of vision. She didn’t care to even spare him a second look. She kept her head straight and her pace unhurried. He certainly was not of this college, she knew. He looked older and aggressive. Somehow, he got past the security at the main gate, she guessed. He probably, jumped off the back entrance.

“You know I loved you the minute I saw you,” he said.
His weak and nasal voice surprised her somewhat.

She remained silent and walked on. Just a few more yards to keep cool.

“We can have a great time together, let me show you.”
Silence was all he met with.

“Are you deaf sweetie?” he asked stretching a muscled hand to touch her shoulder.

Next minute saw him writhing on the sand clutching his crotch.

She went past to enter the building, silently thanking her mom for insisting on admitting her at age 9, into the “Martial arts center” in their neighborhood. 

She heard clapping from behind. Looking over her shoulder she saw two lecturers of the department of Botany giving her a thumbs up. She smiled.


Word Count: 545
Written for Twisted Tales Contest, March 30, 2023.
Hosted by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon


© Copyright 2023 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047173-In-the-throes