*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047311-Wise-Knowing-or-Funny-WC-330-R-E
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest · #2268413
A place to keep my entries for various contests and challenges
#1047311 added April 1, 2023 at 4:48pm
Restrictions: None
Wise, Knowing, or Funny (WC 330, R-E)
P24. Wisdom, Knowledge, or Humor. Which is most important and why? (You must select one and not claim they all are)

"They all are!"

I know, I have to select one and cannot claim all three, but hey, they are all three of equal importance and they are all three intertwined.

Think about it! you cannot have wisdom without knowledge, and you cannot know without understanding. And, if one is lacking in either, they may think they are humorous, but let's face it, they aren't.

Actually, as I think about this, I find wisdom holds more importance. "Why?"

First, let's look at the difference between them; knowledge results in the understanding of a particular subject, whereas wisdom develops the discernment and reasoning ability of a person. What goes does it do to know something if you cannot apply that knowledge? I see a lot of this in society: intelligent people with knowledge, yet they do not apply it. They fail to use reason and no matter how smart they may be, they do dumb stuff and make stupid mistakes.

As for humor, the same applies. A good sense of humor requires some knowledge, but even more importantly it requires sound reason and wisdom. It is what makes something funny instead of hurtful.

In summary, wisdom equals common sense and without any common sense, it doesn't matter how much you know, what matters is the ability to reason and apply what you know. It is also what makes humor funny instead of cruel.

I have a friend, our neighbor, who is a very nice guy, he has a lot of knowledge and can be very helpful, but he can also be challenging to be around because he lacks wisdom and his sense of humor is cruel more often than funny. He doesn't mean to be hurtful or crude, he just doesn't have the wisdom to know any different.

A proud member of "WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group

"Reading soothes the soul, writing sets it free." T.J.

© Copyright 2023 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047311-Wise-Knowing-or-Funny-WC-330-R-E