*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047315-Andres-April-Antics---7-and-7-DONE
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2278909
Just things that I think about now and then.
#1047315 added April 9, 2023 at 12:02pm
Restrictions: None
Andre's April Antics - 7 and 7 DONE
Remember: To qualify DO NOT write your first entry or comment until Saturday, April 1st.

REQUIREMENTS ▼
Foolish blogging: besides writing blog entries, interact with other bloggers through their blogs by Commenting. Sharing like experiences and thoughts makes the community. Everyone wants readers and readers to leave comments for their blogs. It's what you should do.

Here's how you can Not Be a Fool (NBF).

1. Write seven (7) blogs between April Fools Day (4/1) and the Ides of April (4/15). Use your own topic or select from any of the Prompts posted at the Banana Bar. Entries must be at least 250 words excluding any mention of this activity, Andre or the Banana Bar.

2. You Must Comment on at least seven (7) blog entries from others on WDC. Comments must be at least 25 words excluding any mention of this activity, Andre or the Banana Bar. In other words, a real comment that is honest and respectful.

3. Post a link at the Banana Bar to your entries and to the entries where you commented.

4. You may write as many entries and as many comments as you want. If you can't make the seven (7), that's fine. Do as much as you feel you can. Do more than seven (7) if you want. This is not about you competing against others but you having fun and sharing with others.



 


Entries:

1.P3. Standardized tests - good or bad for promoting students, etc. Word Count 251

I'm sure I've written about this before, but here goes nothing. Having standardized tests make it easier on teachers and those responsible for the continuing education to get an idea where the students are academically. However, in most instances, they are used as a crutch - with teachers "teaching" to the tests instead of just teaching. We expect "cookie cutter" results, and that is impossible to attain because everyone learns differently. And of course, standardized tests do not take into account those students who fall below or above the testing results. It is "teaching to the masses" and those who do not conform are left by the way. And who has time to teach anymore? Teachers are being burned out due to having to be psychologists, coaches, parents, police, taking tests themselves, and other extra curricular activities on top of being teachers. And don't get me started on the pay of teachers...in most places it is a joke, given what is expected of them. There was a time that I wanted to be a teacher, but even if I was younger, the school is way too rough for me in this atmosphere of despair that seems prevalent in our schools. I get why we have standardized tests; but it is a shame that we have gotten to rely on them rather than take each student for themselves. What can make it better? I don't have the answer to that. Money and more people might be able to help some, but there should be a fundamental shift in the way things are done. Just my opinion.



2.P11. Are you willing to write in your WDC blog about a very controversial issue and state your views (why or why not)? (WORD COUNT 250)

I wonder about this topic at times. I don't want to get crazy and alienate people, but at the same time, there should be conversations about some topics that are controversial. I am using my time at the Unstable(d) Writing Challenge to do such a thing. I'm not 100% sure how well it will go, but I am willing to give it the old "try it and see". I know some people have great success with blogging on "hot" topics. I am more of a "fly under the radar" kind of gal. So this will definitely be something new for me - getting my feet muddy and sticking my neck out there. The subject? Three or four things one is not supposed to bring up or mention in polite discussion or company. What? you say? Yup, there I go, stepping into it big time. And to be sure it's not sex, drugs, and rock and roll...LOL (well, maybe one of the three or four "biggies". So, there you have it. It won't be done until maybe (?) June, so you have some time with which to gird yourselves with courage in order to read it. I plan on being quite respectful, and will be asking a lot of questions. Any opinions I have will be just that - opinions. People are free to disagree with me or not; I just hope that it will be respectful, and I will try my hardest to be respectful about these topics.



3.P28. Is "snail mail" still necessary (excluding packages), and why? When was the last time you wrote a paper-and-pen/pencil letter and mailed it (not postcard)? (WORD COUNT 261)

With technology the way it is, I'm almost sure that the teleportation shown in the cartoon "The Jetson's" will become reality. Until then, we have USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and Amazon *FacePalm*. For staying in contact with other's...we have our phone and the tons of chat apps and messenger apps, so that we can communicate pretty much instantly. Then there is the "old fashioned" snail mail. If a Fortune 500 company was run the way the Post Office is run, my opinion would be that it would be out of business. We still get bills (some do, anyway) advertisement flyers, and once in a great while, maybe a letter or card. It would be nice to have a resurgence of letter writing, and I even wonder if kids are taught the basics of letter writing anymore. It takes time, and the urgency of what was written has become the past all too quickly. But like other things, it is a discipline. Sure, something could happen to the letter, and for some reason mail takes forever to be delivered. Then, of course the price of stamps are getting crazy. I just spent 22.00 and some change for 40 stamps. Granted, they will last a while, but I got some fun ones to try to entice my grandchildren to write me a letter or to draw me a picture to send to me. I guess we shall see how that goes. I just wrote this last week, and I'm going to "Messenger" my daughter to see if she got it. Now isn't that a hoot and a half? Just kind of cracked me up thinking about it. LOL.



4.P30. Are all news outlets (newspaper, radio, TV, etc.) biased? How can you tell if you are being manipulated?(Word Count 250)

My son, who is in college, just went over this topic this past semester. Everybody has a bias. That being said, it stands to reason that those in the news are going to report with said bias. I know, I know "fair and balanced" right? (rolling eyes). They may give it their best effort, and maybe even succeed in tampering down the bias in their reporting (Just the facts, ma'am/sir). But you cannot escape the bias. The tone of your voice or pen does shine through. We are not robots, just spitting out facts like Suri or Alexa. How could we be when the news is in places, horrifying? School/church/mall shootings and over in the Ukraine, and other places. What about local issues? Unemployment? Underemployment? Everybody has an opinion. These are only a few examples. As for being manipulated, the pulling of the heart strings, the rise up of indignation and other emotions are a clue that you may be manipulated. Here is an example: Getting mad and trying to impeach someone who is no longer in office, just because you believe he incited people to riot. I'm not condoning those actions, but just the raising of this issue has caused some hackles to raise. And it wasn't even my intention to do so *Think*.Just think what those who are paid to report can do? Another thought- It's why contaminating a jury pool is just as effective, if not more so than jury tampering. And it isn't illegal (perhaps just unethical) and can be very effective. Bias, yes, it's everywhere. Anyway, just my opinion on the matter. I'll go hide, now.



5.P16. How far should government go to ensure that everyone's "life needs" are provided? (WORD COUNT 263)

I guess it would depend on who you talk to. Do they want to pay for medicines, or do they want to put groceries on the table? With welfare, it consumes about 19% or almost 1/5 of the US federal budget. Do we really want the government taking more of our paychecks? Do we even care if people are taken care of? It really depends on who you ask. 17 percent of children in the US are obese 2020-2021 study). But do we want the government telling us what to eat or not to eat? If we say yes, then there are those who say their right to do what they want is infringed. If the answer is no, why are our kids in trouble? About 283,000 Americans under age 20 are estimated to have diagnosed diabetes, which is approximately 0.35% of that population. Who do we protect?
In my case, if I didn't have local help (in Texas, I don't qualify for Medicaid, but I do fall under an indigent program called the "Blue Card"). I have co-pays for visits, unless they are considered preventative and copays for medicines. Otherwise, my two insulin shots I take would run about 1500-2000 a month. So, I am grateful for the help, as are my children, since they pay my copays for meds/visits until I get back to work.
The US healthcare system is in a huge mess...people are place below the "bottom line" and people also do not want to help themselves. It boils down to the all mighty dollar...the haves and the have-nots. I don't have any ideas that wouldn't piss of others, I'm sure. But something will have to give - eventually it all may just go down the toilet.



6.P24. Wisdom, Knowledge, or Humor. Which is most important and why?(WORD COUNT:252)

Wisdom, I think is most important. That way you can figure out when, or if, you can use humor or apply the knowledge you have learned. Otherwise you could come off as crass in your interactions if you use humor at the wrong time. You could also come off as a "know it all" if you use your knowledge incorrectly.

Wisdom, is gained over time, so that is one thing. You can develop humor over time as well, and you can gain knowledge rather quickly- just look at all of the educational apps and channels on the internet. But knowing when to use that knowledge? Knowing how to use humor to your advantage take time and wisdom (They go hand in hand). I don't think there are any shortcuts in this area, although you are free to disagree with me on this.

Just like wisdom can show you when to use humor or knowledge, it can also tell you when to NOT use them. Humor, when used correctly, can lighten the tension or mood if it becomes heavy. It can deflect triggers and bring temperatures down to a manageable level. It can also just add to the gaiety or festive atmosphere, say, of a party.

Knowledge, in it's proper place, can add to the collective knowledge of a group, say, in a business meeting. It is also appropriate in a classroom setting. And, of course, there is nothing wrong with having knowledge as a pursuit or hobby. This last one, though, one needs to be careful not to use it like a sledge hammer. Coming across as a "know it all" can be off-putting, and cause someone to disregard any information you might share, even if it is good information.

So, that circles us back to wisdom. How do you gain wisdom? Over time and experience. By sometimes making bad decisions; and learning from them. My opinion, of course.




7.P27. How can we educate and protect children to determine the truth from all the junk that's on the internet and TV?
(WORD COUNT 290)

I imagine that this has been plaguing parents, grandparents, and teachers ever since the invention of the TV and subsequent advent of the internet. I've read others' writings on this subject, and agree with a lot of what I've read. Here are some of my thoughts on the subject:

Foundation. A foundation built at home of what is right and wrong is going to be key in keeping children off of the myriad of craziness that is out there. That foundation begins with mom and dad. Not by "doing what I say and not what I do" but putting practice to the spoken word. Kids are like sponges - with everything - the good, the bad and the ugly. Parents are the main building block of a young person's character. Not the only building block, but the main one.

Being involved. Being active in our kids' life, no matter how busy we are. And trust me, if we are too busy to be involved in our kids' lives, someone will be happy to step into our shoes - and most likely not for the good. We are told in Proverbs 22:6 to Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
That involves us doing the training. We are to be held accountable for the life/lives we are molding.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone should be perfect (that would be a bit of hypocrisy on my part), but the chances are much better with parental involvement and having a good foundation. Do mistakes happen? Yes, they do. but having an active role can help minimize them.

Being honest when you screw up. And you will. We all do. But trying to lie, or to cover up a mistake could be very costly to the kiddos; in terms of trust for sure. Own the mistakes, and learn from them. That is also a way to be a role model for children. Nothing goes perfectly. There are outliers that haven't been discussed; and I'm sure these have ramifications all of their own. But this is my opinion on how to help kids navigate the era of TV, the Internet, and all of those crazy apps that are out there.

Just my opinion, of course.



 


Blog Comments:

1. for "Invalid Entry

2. for "Entry #1 of the April 2023 Contest

3. for "Entry #2 of the April 2023 Contest

4. for "How can we educate...

5. for "The Truth is Out There; Somewhere. (WC 569, R-E)

6. for "Wise, Knowing, or Funny (WC 330, R-E)

7. for "Invalid Entry






signature updated by lili_in_fl

© Copyright 2023 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047315-Andres-April-Antics---7-and-7-DONE