*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047405-Epilogue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Raven
Rated: GC · Book · Dark · #2293365
The changing landscape of Metropolis leaves our heroes backed into a corner
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1047405 added April 3, 2023 at 4:57am
Restrictions: None
Epilogue
"You're supposed to be resting," Ashley said from the side as Jake hit thirty on his set of pull-ups, "After everything we went through, I'd think that you'd be okay with taking a few days off. What do you plan on doing if Pam shows up and catches you?"

"Tell her this was your idea," Jake joked as he dropped from the bar, "I'm not going out and fighting, Ash, but I need to stay in shape. I'm sleeping regularly, eating right, and I'm not pushing myself more than necessary. Cut me some slack, will you?"

"Try that lie, and next time you sleep won't be a fun little rendezvous," Ashley warned as Jake took a drink of water, "Sometimes I think you want to be punished."

"What's life without a little walking on the edge?" Jake laughed, "Seriously, though, I'm not doing anything extreme. We share a body, you would know if I was pushing myself too hard."

"That's fair, but I still worry about you," Ashley sighed, following after him as he walked out of his home gym, "That woman took a toll on you, Jake, and then there's what happened in the crypts."

"I did what Pam said, Ash," Jake said, "I rested for a few days, and I waited until my body stopped hurting before I did anything. Laying around isn't my style, you know that. Plus, Alexis and I have a date coming up. Knowing her, I need to try to stay active for whatever she has planned. I'm fine, really. For the first time in a long time, I actually feel okay."

"And for that, I'm thankful, but I still don't think you need to jump back into things," Ashley said, "There are other ways you can occupy yourself, Jake. What about the ruby that you were researching after Courtney, or that voice we heard in the catacombs?"

"I've been running a search in the background throughout everything, Ash," Jake replied, wiping some sweat from his brow, "As far as what that was underground, I don't even know where to start with that. I figured the best bet would be to let Pam do her thing and wait. Again, I'm not pushing myself harder than I should."

"This is like talking to a wall," Ashley sighed, deciding to let it go for the time being, "When is the last time you checked the searches you've been running?"

"A few days before I got arrested," Jake answered as he took a seat, "Ash, listen to me. I'm taking it slow, and I'm stopping for today. I swear, I'm not going to do anything that would jeopardize either of us. I have to prepare for a press conference coming up, and I was going to check my search results too."

"Good," Ashley sighed, relieved to hear and feel that her partner was thinking clearly for a change.

Jake opened his laptop and pulled up the database he'd been using to search for the ruby. Most of what was brought up were myths, legends, and unusual sightings surrounding a blood ruby. The majority of it were things he'd already found and read, but then there was a more recent article that caught his attention. A museum claimed to have found the gem of legend, and they were preparing a display detailing the history of it. The article talked about various archeologists and geologists that had died while working at an excavation site in the United Kingdom. After months of devotion and digging, a team had finally managed to unearth the gem and cart it back to America. The story went that an unusual warmth radiated from the gemstone, and that researchers couldn't determine what the cause of it was. Some people claimed it to be paranormal, but scientists intended to study the unique stone for answers.

"Master Jake," Bruce called from the entryway, "Ms. Pamela is here to see you, sir."

"You don't have to introduce me formally every time, Bruce," Pam chuckled from behind him, "Not that I mind, but you won't offend me if you don't do it."

"Nonsense, Ms. Pamella," Bruce replied, "A man in my position is duty-bound to show respect, and you have been a stalwart ally of Master Jake. It would behoove me to speak of you without showing the proper respect that you are owed, ma'am."

"Hmm, if only more men were like you, Bruce," Pam smiled sweetly at him, "You are a gem among your gender, and I'm half tempted to send Beth over for an etiquette lesson."

"Ms. Thompson seems to show you the respect you deserve, ma'am, if you don't mind my observation," Bruce said, "I've known her and Master Jake since they were children, and she's come further with you than with anyone else. Your kind words warm this old heart, Ms. Pamella. Truly, I appreciate such a sentiment. Chivalry isn't quite dead, but I fear it may be on the way out."

"You know, I do try to emulate you," Jake sighed as he smiled at his friend, "It's not my fault that the bulk of villains in the city are women."

"Yet, it is your fault that you sleep with them," Pam pointed out as she walked over to take a seat across from him.

"She has a valid point," Ashley agreed, sitting on the table.

"So, what brings you by, Pam?" Jake asked, ignoring both women.

"I wanted to take a moment to discuss some things with you, Jake," Pam replied, grabbing a bag she'd brought with her and pulling out a few different books, "What happened in the catacombs, specifically your closing moments with that horrendous woman. Bruce, you may be able to help me with this. Would you care to join us?"

"Certainly, Ms. Pamella," Bruce nodded, taking a seat at the table.

"Wonderful," Pam smiled as she opened a large book, "Now, according to my research, the last known male mage was Merlin around the time of the sixth century. Druidic magic and superstition, mind you, but that is the last major man to be renowned for spellcasting. There have been others, that much I know, but they're far and few between. I doubt you have ties to the wizards of old, but there has to be some connection between you and magic blood."

"Magic blood?" Jake repeated, "Are you saying I've got something in my genetics giving me access to magic?"

"Maybe," Pam sighed, "I can't be certain just yet, but it's a definite possibility. I know your parents passed away when you were young, but can you think of anyone in your family that might have been gifted in the arcane?"

"Not that I know of, no," Jake shrugged, but Bruce's face and mood dipped slightly at Pam's question.

Pam picked up on it and regarded him carefully, "Bruce, is there something that I'm missing?"

"I imagine your empathic abilities perturb Ms. Thompson in your relationship," Bruce sighed, wringing his hands together, "This is something that I'd hoped to take to my grave, Ms. Pamella."

"Well, now my curiosity is piqued," Pam said, leaning in.

"It's your mother, Master Jake," Bruce sighed, "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that this conversation is taking place after what you've gone through. Still, she'd asked me to guard her secret from you before she passed."

"My mom?" Jake asked, now fully engrossed in what his friend had to say, "What about her?"

"I've already told you that the woman parading herself as your alleged mother was a liar, but I never explained more," Bruce began, "Your mother was a talented woman, one who met your father by chance. Tell me, are either of you familiar with the White Witch of Metropolis?"

Jake frowned and leaned in closer, "My mom was a witch?"

"She was a vigilante," Bruce explained, "A woman who discovered she had a talent for using forces beyond our comprehension, most of us anyway, and who chose to use those talents for good. She rarely made the headlines, but her name circulated through the tabloids as a rumor."

"Margaret Silvers," Pam said, suddenly remembering the name, "I remember reading about her when I was a young girl, and even coming across her name in Rebecca’s archives. It was never confirmed that she was real, but you're saying that she is. Not only that, she is Jake's mother?"

"Indeed," Bruce nodded, "I'm not surprised that you know the name, Ms. Pamella. She was a remarkable woman, I believe you would have gotten along splendidly with her."

"Hold on, can we back up a second?" Jake asked, still reeling from the revelation that his mother was a witch and a vigilante, "Why did she want you to keep this a secret from me, Bruce?"

"She didn't want you following in her footsteps, Master Jake," Bruce answered with a solemn look, "However, I think she'd be proud of the man you've become. Your mother was part of the reason that your father started the acquisition of Emily Brunswick's corporation. She sensed the fell magic, as she would put it, that they were dabbling in, and she urged your father to stop them at all costs. It was a battle that was too much for her, but one that she still chose to try to fight."

"What do you mean?" Jake asked.

"When your father was met with the red tape that comes with the corporate world, she took matters into her own hands," Bruce sighed, "She told me what she was doing the night she disappeared, and she made me promise to keep you and your father safe. Your mother suspected she might not return, but she hoped that she would."

"The explosion at Brunswick Labs," Jake said quietly, his eyes widening, "That was mom?!"

"I haven't the faintest clue as to what happened, but I suspect that she was directly involved, yes," Bruce said, his face grim, "I wish I could say for certain, Master Jake, but I'm afraid that's all the information I have."

"Jake," Pam said, pouring over her book, "If your mother was a witch, then that explains a lot. Your connection with Rebecca and Ashley, along with the mark of Lilith and our trip to Hell, would have opened a connection between you and your genetics."

"Then that means the voice we heard was your mother, Jake," Ashley remarked.

Jake was still struggling to process everything he'd just heard. "My mother was a witch, and may have been responsible for the destruction of a major city landmark," he said, unsure just what to make of this revelation.

"Master Jake," Bruce started, "Your mother was a hero, and whatever happened in those labs was most certainly not solely because of her. She saved your father's life the night they met, rescued countless in this city, and only acted when she felt that there was no other alternative. Don't you dare associate her legacy with anything akin to a terrorist. You yourself have seen how often good intentions can go awry, and the price that can come with trying to do the right thing. I may not know what occurred that night, but your mother was one of my dearest friends. She would never have done something that would have jeopardized the lives of innocents."

"The stories I read align with that assessment," Pam added, "I doubt your mother intentionally blew anything up, Jake."

"Okay," Jake said, "So, mom was a witch and a vigilante. Dad knew about it, you knew about it, but she didn't want me to know about it. Her reasoning was because she was afraid I'd try to follow in her footsteps, right?"

"Precisely," Bruce nodded, "My boy, she only wanted you to have a safe and happy life. The last thing she ever wanted was to see you suffer and struggle. She never would have dreamed that you'd become a hero like her, but I don't think she'd be surprised either. It's as I've said before, you have your mother's heart, and your father's mind."

"So, I take it his father often walked into traps," Pam deadpanned, earning a glare from Jake, "I can't count the number of times you've willingly walked into a trap since I joined you and Beth, let alone the times before my arrival."

"Okay, okay," Jake sighed, realizing he didn't have much room to argue, "So, I heard a woman's voice in my head when we were underground. It sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it."

"Interesting," Pam hummed thoughtfully, "Ordinarily, I'd say that you took one too many blows to the head, but given the new information we've unearthed, I'm not so certain that's the case. Since your mother was indeed a mage, and given her apparent demise took place in the belly of Emily's labs, I think that may have been her. I'll need to do some more digging to be sure, but Jake, your mother may not be entirely deceased."

"What's that now?" Jake asked, and Bruce seemed just as confused.

"It's just a theory, but arcana is unstable and unpredictable," Pam explained, "With what we know about Emily and her research now, a reaction could have inadvertently taken place that could have displaced your mother's soul. Rather than her being ferried to the afterlife, she could exist within the ether and within the weave itself. Her essence could still be out there, and that would explain how she was able to communicate with you."

"As intriguing as this is, I'm afraid I need to tend to my duties, Ms. Pamella," Bruce said, excusing himself, "Forgive me, but I believe I owe Master Jake some photographs of his mother."

"Bruce, you don't have to do that now," Jake said.

"Nonsense, Master Jake," Bruce smiled as he stood up, "All this talk of your late mother has me reminiscing as it is, and it's high time you see pictures for yourself. We can put these doubts behind us once and for all this way as well. Ms. Pamella, it's been a pleasure as always."

"As usual, the pleasure has been all mine, Bruce," Pam smiled and shook his hand, "I plan on making a roast this evening, assuming we have the time. Would you like me to send some over for you?"

"That would be superb, madame," Bruce nodded, "I look forward to seeing you again."

Jake smiled as his friend and butler left the room. It was times like this that he was reminded of just how fortunate he was. His attention returned to the topic at hand, though, and he frowned as he remembered his talks with Ashley before they met face to face once more, "But, Ashley spoke to me while she was trapped in Hell."

"Yes, through a channeling conduit created by runestones in the underworld," Pam said, "There are nodes on every plane, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that your mother could be using them. However, it's just as likely that my theory could be true. I'd need to review files, photographs, and the blast site to be sure, but stranger things have happened. Still, this explains how you've been able to cast without training, and how you've been able to see the tethers between the metaphysical universe and the physical. Plus, I believe Rebecca was working on teaching you the art of enchantment, correct?"

"Yeah, but I kept frying my damn birdarangs," Jake replied, "She taught me how to balance the equation, but that was more like chemistry from what I understood."

"It's akin to it, but it still entails using magic," Pam said, "For an enchantment to take properly, it's dependent on more than just the material being used. It requires a touch of magic from the individual performing the enchantment. I wish I could say that I'm surprised Rebecca didn't tell you this, but-"

"But she was manipulative back then," Jake finished, nodding, "I still remember our time in the apartment together. She was moodier than ever, unstable, and prone to lashing out, but then she'd have moments where she was kind, thoughtful, and even remorseful of what she'd done. It was like living with a typhoon. The night she found me burning birdarangs at my workbench, we had a pretty big fight. She came to apologize to me, but then she saw what I was working on. I remember she was surprised, but I assumed it was just because I was doing something outside of science. I never would have guessed that it was because I was unwittingly casting some sort of magic."

"She wouldn't have wanted you to think that either," Pam sighed, "As much as I miss her, and believe me, I do, I know she'd have been worried you'd have gotten out from under her thumb with that knowledge. Her insecurities fed the monster inside of her, and drove her to the horrendous acts that led to her demise."

"What's that old saying?" Jake asked, a ghost of a rueful smile on his face, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions, or something like that. Her heart was in the right place, at least that's what I like to think, but her actions hurt more than anything."

"Insane woman," Ashley grumbled, earning a cross look from Jake, "I won't apologize for that, Jake. She's gone, but the pain and scars she left remain. She is the reason you took that mark."

Jake closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Ashley had a point, but his memories of Rebecca were still muddled. He hadn't forgotten the abuse she'd put him through, but then their moments alone often outshined those troubling times. "Even so," Pam said, "The amount of magic you were exposed to throughout your time together must have opened your spirit. Between the rituals, the tattoos, the time beyond the veil, and your bonding with Ashley, I shouldn't be surprised that you've become a conduit of sorts."

"Not an object, Pam," Jake sighed, trying to lighten the mood.

"Debatable depending on who you ask," Pam countered with a smirk, "On a serious note, I think that between these factors and your mother, you may yet have an affinity for the arcane."

"So, I could eventually cast spells like you?" Jake asked.

"Oh, Goddess no," Pam laughed, earning a scowl from Jake.

"Your confidence is inspiring," he said, trying not to sound bitter.

"Jake, we would be two different classes," Pam explained, sensing she'd upset him, "What I saw you cast was more druidic in nature. My spellcraft borders on sorcery and necromancy, and my empathy is tied directly to my magic as well. It's doubtful that you and I would align magically, but that doesn't mean you can't become a talented little spellcaster, warlock, or even a wizard with proper training. Don't pout, I didn't mean to insult you."

"I'm not pouting," Jake dismissed her, rolling his eyes.

"You were," Ashley grinned, "Why do you lie to her? You know she can literally read your emotions."

"Whatever you say," Pam smiled, dropping the topic.

"Is there anything I can do to try to train and hone this?" Jake asked.

"No, not on your own, and not without knowing more about your abilities," Pam replied, her tone much more stern, "I mean this, Jake, it is dangerous for you to try this alone. The most you can do is to study and read. However, without knowing more about your potential, it's unclear where to start. I can provide a book on basic magic theory, but that's the most I can offer."

"So, basically just foundations," Jake nodded.

"More or less," Pam shrugged, "I'll leave the book with you, but don't you dare try anything advanced. I'm already aware that you've been training again, but practicing magic could result in permanent damage to you and others without proper tutelage."

"How did you know I've been training?" Jake asked.

"Because you just told me," Pam smirked before her face fell again and she got serious once again, "I know you're not doing anything more than you can handle, Jake. You're headstrong, but you're not an idiot. I understand you want to remain in shape, and I won't fault you for that as long as you don't hurt yourself. However, I cannot stress enough how dangerous it is to practice magic without a proper tutor. Magic is, by its very nature, volatile and unpredictable. Tapping into those forces without a guide opens you up to otherworldly influences, creates strain on the body and mind, and can alter yourself beyond recognition."

"Okay, I get it," Jake sighed, holding his hands up in defeat, "I promise I won't do anything other than read. Would you be willing to try to teach me, though?"

"Good boy," Pam smiled and added, "If time permits, then yes. Progress will be slow, mind you, but I can show you how to channel maybe once a week. It won't make you into an overnight success, but you'll at least be able to control your intake and output."

"Alright, I guess that's as good a start as any," Jake said, not sure exactly what Pam meant, but trusting her all the same, "Have you and Beth managed to track any of the escaped criminals yet?"

"Back to business then," Pam rolled her eyes, "As far as the more notable characters, no we haven't had much luck. They're either in hiding out of fear, plotting something dastardly, or they're aligning themselves with our shadow players."

"What about Duchess?" Jake asked, "Or The Amazon."

"Amelia managed to escape back to the compound she built in the ruins of Ravenfalls," Pam replied, "She's claiming to have been manipulated by the former mayor, and that she was forced to enact practices that disgusted her and compromised both her beliefs and the well-being of the inmates that were in her care. With everything that's happened, the general populace isn't sure what to believe anymore. I'll say this, the woman can spin a convincing yarn. It helps that most people are more concerned with the cultists and the treatment of those conditioned by Myers. With that at her backing, she's been able to manipulate the city into believing she too was a victim of the cult."

"Damn," Jake sighed, running a hand through his hair, "I thought for sure that Alexis was going to kill her."

"You seem disappointed," Pam remarked, "Is it really such a surprise? The little mad woman has been trying to play by your rules for a change. Plus, she had to flee when the police showed up to secure the prison. Regardless of her connections to us and Zoey, she is still responsible for a massive prison break."

"Maybe I am a little disappointed," Jake admitted, staring at the table, "After everything she put me through, everything she caused, maybe I was hoping we'd be rid of her once and for all."

"She wasn't responsible for the chaos that swept through the city, Jake," Pam reminded him, "Myers was the one who unleashed that madness. I'll also remind you that you're the one who has said that we need to be beacons for hope in this city, and that means that we have to play by different rules. It's easy to take a life, but much harder to show mercy."

"Heh, never thought I'd hear that speech from you, Pam," Jake chuckled, "You're right, though."

"I'm always right," Pam smirked, "I'll overlook that disrespectful comment as well. I know my past, but it's because of Beth and you that I'm trying to reform. There's hope in everyone, just as long as we don't give up on one another. Black Hells, I sound like a cliché."

Jake smiled and laughed softly at Pam's last comment, "Yeah, you kind of do. What about The Amazon, Pam? Any word on her?"

"A ghost in the city most likely licking her wounds," Pam replied solemnly, "We're actively looking for any signs of her, Jake, and Zoey has also sworn to put efforts into finding her. After what Samantha went through, Zoey is hellbent on making all those involved pay the price. Speaking of which, I believe you had some things you wanted transported to Eclipse."

"Yeah, I've got a few things downstairs to be moved, so I can start installation this weekend," Jake nodded before asking, "How is Sam? I haven't talked to her since I got home. Honestly, I feel like I let her down."

"She's better, and you didn't let her down, Jake," Pam said, putting a hand on his, "Your sister is stronger than we give her credit for, and she isn't mad at you for what happened to her. She's been spending more time with Zoey, staying with her three nights a week at least. She seems to be recovering quite well, but I think she'd like to talk with you. She asks Beth and I about you every time we see her. Don't let your own misgivings compromise the relationship that you two have built over the last year. Call her, and perhaps she can meet you at Eclipse."

Jake stared down at Pam's hand for a moment before smiling, "Thanks, Pam. I'll give her a call sometime tonight or tomorrow. Alexis is supposed to be by sometime-"

"Master Jake," Bruce greeted, clearing his throat, "I believe your date is here."

"Or, she'll be here now," Jake chuckled as he stood up, "Thanks, Bruce, go ahead and send her in."

"No need to send the big man!" Alexis' cheery voice chimed in as she strode into the room, "Your fancy friend here already let me in, and I figured I'd just follow him to you, Jake. Hiya, Pammy!"

"Good to see you in one piece, Alexis," Pam smiled as she gathered up her things and placed a large leather-bound book on the table, "I was just getting ready to take my leave."

"Awe, I feel like we never get to talk," Alexis pouted, earning an eye roll from Pam.

"You're welcome to come by our apartment sometime, Alexis," Pam offered, "Beth would certainly enjoy a chance to catch up, but I don't want to intrude on your special evening. From what I understand, you've been waiting quite some time for this."

"You aren't wrong there," Alexis giggled, "You're super sweet. Scary, but sweet at the same time, ya know?"

"That's what everyone continues to tell me," Pam sighed, "I suppose I should make my peace with it. Try not to push Jake too far too fast, dear. He's been through quite a lot over the last week."

"I won't be doing anything he won't like," Alexis said, her eyes flashing with a mischievous glint, "Tell Beth to call me, okay?"

Pam walked past her and nodded, "I will, I promise. Have fun you two. Jake, remember what I said. I'll be in touch about our first training session, but do not try anything until then."

"I swear, I won't," Jake said, "Keep me posted on any new findings, okay?"

"We always do, Jake," Pam said as she continued out with a wave.

"I'll leave you two to have some time to yourselves," Bruce excused himself, "It's nice to see you not attacking Ms. Alexis. You're quite the remarkable young woman when you're not hellbent on destruction and mayhem."

"Awe, thanks," Alexis smiled, "Although, I do still really enjoy a bit of chaos, but I get what you mean."

"Master Jake, I shall be around should you have need of my services," Bruce said as he exited the room.

"So, what was Pammy talking about?" Alexis asked, sauntering over and taking a seat at the table, "She gonna start teaching you magic tricks? Gotta warn ya, big boy, card tricks and rabbits out of hats aren't really my cup of tea."

"Actually, she's going to be working with me on actual magic," Jake chuckled, "She seems to think that I have some sort of ability to tap into the weave as she calls it."

"Woah, seriously?!" Alexis asked, her jaw dropping, "I was joking! Do you have any idea how rare that is for a dude to be able to cast spells?"

"I didn't, but how do you know that?" Jake asked.

"Stinky's libraries down in Hell, duh," Alexis replied as though it were obvious, "I didn't spend all of my time torturing lost souls, ya know. I spent hours in the archives reading up on different things. I was always more into science, but after I ended up there, I realized that the mystic mumbo-jumbo had some actual merit. There's no clear-cut explanation as to why women are more adept at casting spells, but my guess is it's the chromosomes. There's only been a handful of male mages over the course of history, at least that have been recorded."

"That was what Pam was saying," Jake remarked, "I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you were reading while you were dead. You always were a bit of a nerd."

"A sexy nerd, but I guess it takes one to know one," Alexis smirked at him.

"I'd say crazy, but that's just me," Jake teased, genuinely enjoying the back and forth between the two of them.

"Crazy and sexy aren't mutually exclusive," Alexis said, sticking her tongue out.

"I guess you have a point there, a small one," Jake smiled at her.

"I hope you don't mind I'm a little early for our date," Alexis said, her demeanor shifting slightly towards bashful, "Heh, I guess I got a little worried you'd forget about me again."

"I haven't forgotten, Alexis," Jake assured her, reaching out and putting his hand on hers, "I was actually just talking with Ash about you. After what you did for me, you were a top priority. Beth and Pam made me take some time off after everything that happened. The only things I've planned are meetings, conferences, and some time with you."

"You mean that?" Alexis asked, her eyes sparkling with hope.

"I do, actually," Jake admitted, "I'm still a little nervous about giving this a shot, but I owe it to you and myself to give it a try."

"Cheesy, love," Ashley chuckled, and Jake shot her a glare.

"I promise you won't regret this," Alexis smiled, "I'll take it easy on you, I swear."

"I like it a little rough, if we're being honest," Jake chuckled, "What do you have in the bag?"

"Just some things to spice up our evening," Alexis replied slyly, "Don't worry, it's just some rope, some old underwear and socks, and something for you to change into if we have time."

Jake felt himself start to blush, and he tried to play it off as best he could, "Now you've got me excited and wanting to skip dinner."

"Nuh-uh, you promised me some Blackridge cooking, and I intend to get just that," Alexis smirked, noticing his blush and feeling a surge of confidence, "Maybe if you're good, we can have an early dessert, though."

Jake cleared his throat and quickly got to his feet, "Then I'm gonna need to shower and get to work. You can read or watch something while you wait. Do you have a preference?"

"I can always join you in the shower, you know," Alexis teased, laughing when his cheeks turned scarlet, "Oh my God, you are so adorable when you're embarrassed!"

"Careful, Jake," Ashley warned, "You're playing with fire here. Alexis is being tame, but remember to take things slow as to not lead her on. Sweet as she is, she's still a ticking time bomb if you're not careful."

Jake nodded, thankful once again that he had someone watching out for him. "Let me show you to the study," Jake said, clearing his throat once again, "There's no sense in rushing things when we've still got a dinner to have together."

He was a little worried that Alexis might have a moodswing, but he was relieved when she smiled and nodded, "That's fair. I'm curious to see if you have anything I haven't read."

Jake smiled and led her out of his gym and deeper into his home. It still felt odd to have Alexis in his home of his own volition, but he'd experienced and done crazier things. He just needed to remember to take things slow when possible. Ashley was right. Alexis might be in the start of a metamorphosis, but she was still just in the beginning stages. The last thing he needed was to push her over the edge and release the psycho inside of her. He'd dealt with enough crazy for one lifetime, and he had no desire to dive back into that fire.

—----------------

Elsewhere in the city, in one of Metropolis' many high rises, Ingrid Isley sat at her new computer. She'd taken Jake's money and purchased multiple different components to build her masterpiece. A proverbial supercomputer with more defenses and capabilities than anything else on the market. It had taken her forever to finish assembling her beauty, but she'd finally managed to do it. Her system took up the bulk of one room, but it had more power than anything she'd ever owned. She imagined that it could even rival Jake's dinky little computer in his dorky lair. While she'd rather have been playing one of her games, she had taken Jake's money on a simple stipulation. Well, one that had been simple on the surface anyways.

She'd been running searches in the background for days now, and she'd only managed to scrounge up bits and pieces of information on either woman. Ingrid was close to banging her head against her keyboard, but she didn't want to damage her new toy. There was a part of her that wanted to call Jake just to relieve some frustration, but that too was out of the question right now. As fun as it might have been to use him as a fart cushion, the little pervert would enjoy it too much. He clearly had a type, and this job was too frustrating for her to think about rewarding him.

Finally, she got an alert on one of her six screens. She quickly pulled up the results, and she furrowed her brow at what she'd found. Meg Myers' death certificate from two years ago was on screen. Beneath it was a list of her accomplishments, accolades, and surviving family members all located outside of the state. The more she scrolled, the more confusing things got. If Myers was dead, then who the hell had been posing as mayor? This didn't make any sense, and it didn't sit well with Ingrid. Another alert came about Amelia, but Ingrid was too engrossed in her first alert to care right now. She'd check it soon enough, but first she needed to make sure this was legit. Surely it was a tabloid conspiracy or something, right?

She'd been so enveloped in her research that she didn't hear the footsteps approaching behind her. She nearly jumped out of her skin when an unfamiliar voice spoke, "You've been quite the busy little girl, haven't you?"

Ingrid rolled her shoulders to shake off her surprise, and spun around in her chair. A woman with long black hair wearing a green gown stood before her. Pale skin and dark eyes stared her down in an almost unnerving manner. "I don't know who you are, but you've got about five-" Ingrid started before the woman held up her hand and cut her off.

"Ms. Isley, no one is coming to help you, and whatever traps you've set have already been dealt with," the woman said with a smirk, "Don't worry, I'm not here to fight. I should be furious with what you've managed to dig up, but the entrepreneur in me recognizes talent when I see it."

"Buzz off, lady," Ingrid said flatly.

"Ms. Isley, I would suggest you change your tone with me," the woman said, glancing at her nails, "I'm only a threat when I'm angry, and I tend to lose my patience when I'm disrespected. Fortunately for you, Ms. Isley, I've come here with an offer. Someone with such an admirable ability as yours deserves to be employed by the very best, and I assure you, I am the best."

Ingrid frowned and relaxed a bit, "If this is a job offer, I'm not interested. With this setup, I don't need any help from anyone."

"Is that why you're assisting Jake Blackridge?" the woman asked.

"Dipshit paid for my rig, so I'm working out my debt," Ingrid countered, "I work alone. People suck, and I don't need someone breathing down my neck."

"I assure you, Ms. Isley, you'd have complete autonomy while under my employ," the woman continued, "I have no interest in stifling someone's creativity, and I prefer to have minimal contact when possible. Why manage someone who can manage themselves? All you'd have to do is watch your bank account continue to flourish and swell."

"If I need money, I can easily get it," Ingrid dismissed her, "You don't have anything that could interest me."

"What about someone who could interest you?" the woman asked.

Ingrid's eyes glanced over to the picture of her and Beth she kept on her desk. An old photo from college of the two of them posing at a photo booth. "You seem to be pretty knowledgeable for a dead woman," she snapped, "Tell me something, how does a woman who died two years ago become mayor?"

"She doesn't, but I never said I was Meg Myers, dear," the woman smiled, "My name is Eva, and I'd advise you to watch your tone with me. I won't tell you a third time. Did I strike a nerve, Ingrid? It's understandable, given that your little crush has been lying and avoiding you."

"Piss off," Ingrid spat.

"You are aware that Beth Thompson is in a relationship with another woman, aren't you?" Eva asked, "She's quite happy in the throes of the same sex, from what I understand. What was it she told you again? Oh, that's right, she said she wasn't interested in girls. You're right, Ms. Isley, people do suck, and they can be so cruel, can't they?"

"What are you talking about?" Ingrid asked, her interest suddenly piqued, "Beth isn't with anyone right now."

"That's where you're wrong, my dear," Eva said, "But, you clearly have no interest in hearing what I have to say. I won't trouble you any longer."

Eva turned to leave, and Ingrid felt torn. She knew this was a power play, but her curiosity had the better of her. She bit her lip for a second before giving in and speaking up, "Wait, don't go!"

Eva smirked as she stopped and looked over her shoulder, "I thought you weren't interested in anything I had to say."

"If you know something, tell me," Ingrid said, "If you're lying, I'll-"

"You'll do nothing because I don't lie," Eva cut her off, "If you want to know what I have to say, then you'll agree to work for me, Ingrid."

"I'm not interested in rumors," Ingrid snapped, "How do I know you're not full of shit?"

"Consider it our first step as partners," Eva smiled, "You'll have to trust me if we're going to work together. Simply say yes, and I'll tell you what you want to know, and I'll even give you the means to get what you want."

Ingrid frowned and looked back at the picture of Beth. "Business deals aren't brokered on trust alone," she said, standing her ground, "You want a partner, not an idiot. I'm not saying yes until you give me something I can use."

Eva stared at her and continued to smile. "You're quite tenacious for someone so young," she said, chuckling a bit, "I admire that, and I'll reward your shrewdness. Beth Thompson is with a woman by the name of Pamela Lavely. They've been together for quite some time now, but don't think that you'll be able to sway her without help. Your little crush has become quite dependent on her mistress turned lover, but I can certainly give you the edge you need."

"What's to stop me from knocking this Pamela chick off?" Ingrid scoffed.

"She's far stronger than meets the eye," Eva replied, "Any type of assault on her runs the risk of earning you a shallow grave. A woman like you must have heard about what happened in Ravenfalls. The stories of it's alleged haunting, they're more true than your little internet theories say."

"That shit town Smother Ranch is built on?" Ingrid asked, "You're telling me that the town was destroyed by the Pamela woman?"

"I'm telling you that she ripped the soul from the former owner, shredded it into pieces, and slowly filtered it into Hell," Eva answered, "All because that woman was foolish enough to try to come between her and Beth. You're out of your depth, child, but I can give you the edge you need to prevail. Of course, you'll need to accept your position, and it's not without risk."

"You're telling me Beth is dating a woman and a witch?" Ingrid asked in disbelief.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," Eva replied, "Pamela Lavely is a former disciple of the Goth Goddess turned anti-hero by her feelings."

"Why would she even get with Beth then?" Ingrid asked, her eyes widening as she put two and two together, "Unless…"

"Beth Thompson and The Feral are one in the same, correct," Eva smirked, "Formerly the hero known as Catgirl turned brutal vigilante. She waged a one woman war against Goth, lost, and was given to Ms. Lavely as a prize for her devotion. The two spent months together before they developed a relationship, but Beth has indeed switched teams as the saying goes."

"Beth is a fucking vigilante," Ingrid whispered, thinking back on different times her crush had blown her off.

"Now, if you're interested in taking what's yours, I can help," Eva offered, "Of course, you can try your petty little games, but-"

"What do I need to do?" Ingrid asked, her tone and distortion hardening, "Tell me what you have for me."

"Is that a yes, then?" Eva asked, smiling triumphantly.

"Whatever I have to do, I'll do it," Ingrid replied, "If I have to work for you to win, I'll fucking do it. I'm through playing by the damn rules, and I'm not going to be sidelined by some bitch who can cast a few spells."

"There's the answer and fire I was hoping for," Eva said, holding her hand out, "It's this that you're wanting, my dear. What you don't see is what you need, but you'll need more than just this if you're going to succeed."

Ingrid got up and walked over to her guest. She watched her hand closely, and marveled as she saw dozens of tiny specs dancing around her palm. "Nanotech," she breathed, "This is advanced shit. How the hell did you get this?"

"I am a resourceful woman, and Jake Blackridge isn't the only genius in this city," Eva replied, "With these, you'll have the start of something beautiful. All I ask is that you eliminate Jake and Ms. Lavely for me. Beth will be yours, but I expect you to have the other two broken and compliant for me."

"You don't want them dead?" Ingrid asked, looking up at her new business partner.

"They're worth more alive, but I need them subservient," Eva answered, "I don't care how you do it, and whatever resources you need, you'll have. Simply submit the request to me, and it will be filled promptly."

"I think I can manage that," Ingrid nodded, "Got something I've been toying around with, but I'll need a few more rigs to make it happen. More space to operate out of, remote access to servers, and more than a few thousand dollars to make it possible."

"You're in luck then," Eva chuckled, "I have a place that would be perfect for you. Let's take a walk, Ms. Isley. The process may hurt as we get your body acclimated as a host, but it will be well worth it in the end."



© Copyright 2023 Raven (UN: awesomeone1427 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raven has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047405-Epilogue