*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050695-Personal-Freedoms
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1050695 added June 6, 2023 at 12:11pm
Restrictions: None
Personal Freedoms
Prompt: Personal Freedoms
What does 'personal freedoms' mean to you? And in what ways do one person's freedoms have an impact on those of others?


-----------------

Let me begin with an example. Although expressing an opinion on any subject is a personal freedom, insulting someone else while doing the opinionating is an attack and an affront on that other person. Granted, there's a fine line between what I need to say and what I can say without hurting anyone else.

Thus, the idea behind the term "personal freedoms" is one of the most misunderstood concepts, a misunderstanding that is similar to the misunderstanding of political democracy in general, which may mean to some as: "Since we are in a democracy, I can do whatever vile thing I want."

Personal freedoms, on the other hand, refer to the fundamental rights and liberties people possess that allows them to exercise autonomy, to make choices, and to express themselves freely. These are essential rights for the overall well-being and development of individuals, which in turn, have an effect for the progress and prosperity of societies.

I'll now try to list these freedoms.

1. Individual Empowerment: People deserve to have the power to make choices as to their beliefs, relationships, career paths, and lifestyles. This way, they can feel to be in control and find fulfillment and happiness. This leads to personal growth and encourages them to be creative, innovative and better contributors to society. In my opinion, parents should keep these freedoms in mind when raising children instead of pushing them into accepting their or others' ways and beliefs.

2. Human Rights and Dignity: This is the idea of safety, security and equality, as it should protect people from arbirary actions by governments and other entities.

3. Political Participation: People should be able to feel free to participate in the political process--that is speech, assembly, and association--without negative interference from anyone, so democracy and the protection of civil liberties can function properly.
On a personal note, I am wary of pushy politicians who attack, curse, and undermine opponents and their followers. I think twice if I ever consider voting for them.

4. Cultural Diversity and Expression: Cultural traditions, beliefs, and artistic expressions enrich the society with a variety of perspectives, ideas, and experiences and help lead to understanding and social unity.
Then, on a personal note, I think a person is lowly and close to being a criminal when they push their own cultural ways and perspectives as being superior. Such people, therefore, feel they have the right to look down upon others and even act in brutal ways against them.

5. Economic Development: By creating an environment of economic freedom, societies can encourage entrepreneurship, innovation, and investment, job creation, and overall progress. This only one of the freedoms. Unfortunately, it is mostly misunderstood as being the most important one, especially on the socio-political arena.

6. Scientific and Technological Advancement: People should have the freedoms to explore, innovate and inquire. This encourages intellectual curiosity and advancement in all fields important to our lives. On the other hand, this shouldn't mean breaking confidentialities and endangering our personal, economical, and political well-being.

7. Personal Privacy: People's personal lives are sacrosanct. Any unwarranted intrusion into a person's private life should be taboo. Unfortunately, today's technologies are too much into our lives with their nosiness and intervention on their own economical behalf. I don't know how this can be remedied, but I believe we are all in danger of being irresponsibly treated

When all is said and done, balancing these freedoms isn't easy and there are no absolute ways and means to ensure their perfect health. From this angle, what we call personal freedoms are on a shaky ground. Yet, their impacts on the overall well-being of humanity is evident and, generally speaking, still very positive.



.


© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050695-Personal-Freedoms