*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051903-Some-Slick-Dance-Moves
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2183561
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#1051903 added July 1, 2023 at 9:16am
Restrictions: None
Some Slick Dance Moves
Previously: "Convincing Michelle

I'm not really Chelsea Cooper. I'm another doppelganger!

Your confession shocks even you—it just came blurting out! But Michelle looks non-plussed.

You quickly recover from your own surprise, and start to understand the ploy your subconscious—or whatever is driving you—made even as you start explaining it to Michelle.

"You didn't really think Chelsea Cooper, of all people, gives a shit about you, did you, Michelle? Chelsea's a cunt, and she never liked you, even when she even bothered to think of you at all. I got rid of her— Okay, like I said, I don't 'get rid of' people, I just get them out of the way so I can take over. But I got rid of Chelsea because the bitch deserved it." You snicker. "And because she's very useful for the scheme. Between her and Kim, they're the bad cop/good cops who can run the school."

Michelle is starting to look like she's got a migraine. "Whatever, Chelsea," she says, "I—"

"I told you, I'm not Chelsea. I'm not even a doppelganger, really. Not like Number Two and Number Three over there. But it's part of the magic. You can use it to make a doppelganger, or you can change yourself into a doppelganger of someone. That's what I did with Chelsea."

"Uh huh. So who are you really?" Michelle's tone is very dry.

"Never mind who. I don't think you ever heard of me. I'm just ... someone in the senior class, who knows what it's like to have the Chelseas—and the Steves and the Gordons and the Kendras and all the other— God I hate this place!"

A fury seems to erupt out of you, and you can't stanch it, even as it drives Michelle to take a step back.

"God, this fucking school! This fucking town! I hate them! I hate Chelsea, I hate Patterson, I hate Kirkham and Kelsey and Anthony Kirk and ... and ... ! All so fucking stuck on themselves, and still they go around trying to fuck other people up! Fuck! That bitch Kelsey and that twat Mansfield! And Kim, and the administration, they don't do anything about it! The goddamn basketball team and the stuck-up bitches and cunts who won't— Who don't—!" You start to hiccup. "But I can— can—! Hic!"

The storm recedes, though it leaves you trembling all over and fighting to recompose yourself.

"Well, there!" you snarl. "Maybe that'll fucking convince you I'm on the level! Would Chelsea—? Shit, you really don't have any idea what a cunt she is. So many fucking plots and schemes, against people she doesn't even know! What I did to you yesterday morning—Huk!—I was thinking with her brain when I did it, 'cept I wanted it for something else. What I told you, how I wanted you off the squad, so we could work together. Please, Michelle! We don't know each other, but I want your help! I can't do it by myself, but we can—Hok!—fix things so people like you and me, we aren't going around getting kicked in the teeth. So we can get a little respect! For us and our friends—!" You dig the heels of your hands into your eyes, and snuffle back your running nose as the hiccups finally subside.

Michelle has been standing frozen and silent through this tirade. After a long moment, though, she finally speaks. "You say you can prove all this?" You nod. "Can you prove it right now?"

"Tomorrow night I can. With that girl you told me about. Christine."

A wary silence ensues. Then Michelle says, "I'll come back tomorrow, then. But I want to bring someone with me."

"Christine?"

"No, a friend."

"Why?"

"Because that's the only way I'm coming back."

"Who?"

She hesitates. "I have to decide."

"Then I have to decide if I'll let you bring them."

Michelle regards you. "Then I guess we'll talk about it later."

"I guess we will." You are feeling much calmer now. "Thanks for coming out and listening, anyway. Oh, and Michelle. Obviously you're not going to tell anyone about this."

She snorts, softly. "No one would believe me."

They'd believe it if you told them Chelsea Cooper had a psychotic breakdown, you think at her retreating back.

After she's gone, you return to the doppelgangers. "That was quite a show you put on, boss," Number Three says. "I liked the way it started. With me and Number Two."

"I thought you would."

"Was all that you told her true?" Number Two asks. "About how you hate the school, and we're supposed to—?"

"Don't be stupid. That was just a story for her. She needed to be convinced because we need her help." You are completely numb as you speak, and yet you have the feeling that way down deep, where you can't feel them, you are being roiled with emotions. "Thanks for you help. I'll need you up here again tomorrow night," you tell Number Three. "Make sure you give Gordon a distraction. And I need to know who Christine Miles is," you tell Number Two. "We need her up here tomorrow night."

"I know her," Number Two says. "I can work it."

"Good. You can both go now."

You pace the darkness with downcast eyes after they are gone, for longer than you know. You are not aware of any thoughts, but you are sure that someone is having them. But only vaguely do you wonder why he is not sharing them with you.

* * * * *

Coach Tesla calls you into her office the next morning, as you are crossing the gym floor: she was watching for you from the doorway that leads to the classrooms and offices under the gym mezzanine.

"What is going on with the squad?" she demands in a haggard voice. "Yumi Saito—"

"Did she quit the squad?"

The coach blinks. "Yes! This morning, she—"

"I was pretty sure she would. She made a dramatic scene yesterday in the changing room, and I told her I didn't appreciate it."

"Well, what is going on? First Michelle, now Yumi—"

"I'm cleaning out the troublemakers. I haven't been wanting to bother you, Coach, because I know you don't want to deal with it." You'd much rather spend the time in your office getting drunk, you silently add, because your life is off the rails. "So I haven't bothered to tell you about the drama. But I'm taking care of it now. I've got someone lined up to take Yumi's place."

"Who?"

"I have to talk to her first, but don't worry, I've got a candidate list as long as my arm."

"Well, if parents start calling me up and complaining—"

"They won't, Coach. Michelle wanted to leave the squad, and Yumi won't complain because she knows she was in the wrong."

The coach gives you a look "I just hope you know what you're doing, Chelsea. You know, when we talked about this at the start of the year—"

"It's all under control, Coach. I promise. Have you had any complaints so far?"

"No," she says, but sounds wary.

"There, you see! You don't even know what's been going on, and I promise you it's actually a lot better now than it was. So there's nothing to worry about!" You dimple at her. "Anything else?"

"Not for right now," she grumbles.

"Thanks! And I'm serious. Don't worry!" You bounce to your feet and with a toss of your hair exit the office.

* * * * *

In fact, things are far from being smooth. That snap vote yesterday was a nasty surprise, for you were expecting it to come only after Jack had joined the squad, when you could have stage-managed it better. You had failed to catch how, with Michelle off the squad, Cindy and her gang could with Kendra's vote have gotten the two-thirds majority they needed to sack you as squad captain. But, thanks to quick thinking and Yumi's jumping the gun, you were able to bluff and baffle them. In fact, almost everything you spewed at them yesterday about procedure was bullshit you made up on the spot. But once Jack is on the squad, it'll be too late for them to do anything about it.

"Is everyone set to show up this afternoon after school?" you ask the other seven girls when you are assembled on the floor. "Good! We'll have to meet in the Annex 'cos the basketball squads need the gym then, but that's okay. It's basically going to be a dance class, and that's where dance classes meet. Are you going to be okay with that, Lin? Those two left feet of yours not gonna have a problem? Okay, now let's show some hustle today!"

It's during seventh-period Dance class that you actually set things up for the first after-school practice, when you call Number Seven over to the side when class is over.

"So, don't forget you're staying after today to start showing us some of those awesome dance moves you've got!" you gush at him.

"I won't," says the Jack Li clone, blushing with the same pleasure as the original probably would have. "I've already got some ideas—"

"And so have I. Not about dance steps, but for the squad. You heard how Yumi quit?"

"Yeah." His expression falters.

"Well, there's another big change coming. I'm stepping down as squad captain."

Now he looks started. "What?"

"Uh huh. I figure, with the new concentration on dance steps over gymnastics that we want, that you should be squad captain!"

He stares at you. Then, through a frozen jaw, he mutters, "You serious, boss?"

"I'm totally serious, Jack! I'm stepping down as squad captain, and we'll vote you in as the new captain this afternoon! And after that—" Steel enters your voice. "You will appoint me as vice-captain, in charge of morning practice, routines, and recruitment."

"Whatever you say, boss."

"Excellent! Oh, Jack!" You give him a quick, tight hug. "We really are going places!"

* * * * *

Eighth period. As you wait for Kendra and Gloria, you get two good pieces of news: Number Two texts to say that Christine Miles will meet you this evening up at the gym. The better news comes from Michelle, who says she will not be bringing a friend tonight but will be coming alone.

Next: "Something Like a Boss

© Copyright 2023 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051903-Some-Slick-Dance-Moves